What is high mileage on a used Winabago with Ford 460 V8

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishon71

Looking at a clean 1998 Winabago 32 feet, with 50K miles one owner always pulled a car. Is there any need to be concerned about the mileage and yes it has six brand new tires. My concern is the engine & transmission.

What model is it?  What Chassis does it sit on?

The mileage sounds pretty good....how many hours on the generator?

fishon71 said:
Looking at a clean 1998 Winabago 32 feet, with 50K miles one owner always pulled a car. Is there any need to be concerned about the mileage and yes it has six brand new tires. My concern is the engine & transmission.

50,000/(2009-1998+1) = 4,167 miles/year. Sounds good to me!!  :)

Just be sure to have an authorized chassis dealer do a bumper to bumper -- plus a Winny dealer (or other qualified person) check out all the MH systems.

Sounds like the one owner did all the maintenace, has a hand written log book, changed oil every 1500 miles. This guy is super anal ! Model is Itaca Suncruiser 32' asking price is $21K and is nog. I will keep it in the pile for now but I hope to find one with less miles. Just getting on my way with the search, lots to learn.

fishon71 said:
I hope to find one with less miles. Just getting on my way with the search, lots to learn.

I wouldn't worry about that mileage (50k on a well maintained 11 year old coach).  You are going to find coaches with less miles that are worn out inside. 

Remember, while the coach is moving down the road (something that chassis is designed to do, and needs) the rest of the coach is not being used or abused.

I've seen 12 and 15 year old coaches, with less than 20k miles on them, parked near the coast that look like junk inside.  I would rather have a used driven coach, than a used summer cabin on wheels, any day. 

You make a good point, keep things rollin and they will keep rollin - I just got off the phone with a guy has a 1999 Fleetwood with 18K miles - has been off the road for 3 years not registered sitting in his back yard, I said thanks anyway. I might go take a look at the 50K mile one, guy says it still has plastic covering stuff inside. It does not have a camera in the back, how important is that? I suppose I could put one in, right?

fishon71 said:

I would be more concerned with the tranny than the engine. Do you know what type of tranny it has? The  460 is a good reliable engine. I personally would prefer it to any of their V-10's, but it seems many here love their V-10's. If it has an Alison tranny (and I assume it does if it's a 32 footer), I wouldn't worry about it either.

50K seems almost a reasonable mileage for a 1998, perhaps just a little on the low side. My year 2000 7.4L  has over 100K and runs perfectly.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Don the transmission would be the e40D.  Not the strongest tx in the world, but if the owner changed engine oil every 1500 miles, I would think he took care of the transmission.  Can't be sure...

Lou (onaquest) said:
Don the transmission would be the e40D.  Not the strongest tx in the world, but if the owner changed engine oil every 1500 miles, I would think he took care of the transmission.  Can't be sure...

Oh yeah, it's Ford, not GM.

-Don-  SSF, CA​

I have a 1991 ford 460 with the elec OD tranny - not sure the model.
bought it 12 years ago with 27k - one owner.
now it has 76k, and runs smooth still.
maintenance is everything - if the engine compartment looks clean, and the tranny is dry - should be ok.
we added a Hughes oversize trans pan soon as we bought it - hold a LOT more fluid than a standard pan - might be worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom