jayco- Walls bubbling & seam condensation..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SCC

My Jayco 26lL puchased new 2 1/2 years ago is suddenly getting lots of condensation along the ceiling/walls and one of the walls on the inside of the trailer is now bubbled (like hard little rocks under the the wallpaper). Anyone else experience this? I'm hoping Jayco doesn't pull the "you are 5 months out of your warranty" game. It's headed to my dealer in a few weeks for a looksee.
Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?
Thanks!!!
Seve

I'd check the caulk on the roof around your vents and skylights. I'll bet they're trashed.

I'd replace all caulk with Eternabond tape. That stuff is AWESOME !!

Thanks Mayfair...looks like a great product.
With the research I've been doing, I can only wonder why manufacutures just don't use something that holds up for 25 years from the get-go, instead of caulk. If I had known the roof seals were so vunerable, I would have put that stuff on in the dealer's parking lot the day I picked up the camper. 

I did a write up on it recently and it's in the library up there somewhere. Do a search for it. Roamer was kind enough to put it up there.

I can only wonder why manufacutures just don't use something that holds up for 25 years from the get-go, instead of caulk. If I had known the roof seals were so vunerable, I would have put that stuff on in the dealer's parking lot the day I picked up the camper.  

I have wondered that, a lot! So, questions for the experts. Why don't they?  ???

Cost? Has to be cheaper than the cost of warranty work! Has to be more satisfying to the customer, something the industry should care about. Why don't they?

Ray D  ???

Thanks...I checked out my roof and except for some dirt, no visiable open seals; actually, the entire roof is wrapped in what I would call a thick rubber "blanket" that comes down around the top about an inch or so, so there are no seams along the roof. Except for the goobs of caulk around the vents/etc I can't imagine where the water would get in. I'm a new RV-er so I'm not sure if all roofs are like that or not. No visible damage on any seams. It'll be interesting to see what the dealer says...little nervous about the whole thing and I hope Jayco stands behind their products.  :-\

Scary that something you drop a decent chunck of change on can fall apart in 2 years. I went with teh Jacyo as the quality seemed to be there and we really liked the layout of this model. I'm hoping for the best and look forward to posting a "you wouldn't believe how great jayco is" post in a month or so!  8)

SCC said:
Except for the goobs of caulk around the vents/etc I can't imagine where the water would get in.

Unfortunately, that is EXACTLY where water COULD get in

If it wasn't applied properly, water can still find it's way in through a poor caulk job. That's kinda why I like the Eternabond.

The roof as you describe it is pretty much the standard rubber roof and is common. I agree that unless you see a hole that it's unlikely that water made it way through it.

You didn't say but I'm curious ... What wall or area do you see this bubbling?

Bathroom?
Bedroom?
etc

Thanks.,,,,The bubbling is the front, right inside (basically near the dinnette table); it's a random scatter pattern and the bulk of it is at least a foot from the roof. I would compare it to a "popcorn ceiling" effect under wallpaper. The condensation is all along the right side where the wall meets the ceiling. It also goes down the wall and it's obvious it's a seam under there as the condensation is a perfect 2 inch or so wide strip. I took paper towels and stuck it to the walls and took pictures so my dealer can see.

We always think of gravity as the force that causes water leaking in.  At 60 or 70 mph pressure (or vacuum) generated can easily exceed gravity and suck water uphill and inside.  Keep looking.  Also those gobs of calking may not be stuck down.  Test with a feeler gage on thin plastic. 

"Five months out of warranty game?"  When do you expect the warranty period to end?

HI GKman..thanks and I'll climb around up there and what's what. As for the warranty, a 2 year warranty on something that cost that much is just plain wrong. I guess I meant that for that type of damage to occur that quickly, they should take care of it without me worrying if they will. Again, I think my dealer & Jayco will treat me well, but to say "it's up to you to check the roof 2x year," well if the seals give the day after you check them and your camper walls gets ruined, that's inexcusable. Make the campers so they don't leak. One response on this string pointed me to tape I can buy that is said to last 25 years; use that stuff! Offer a 10 year warranty on the condition that you drag the thing to a dealer for an annual inspection. We all know the doors will break and the fridges will crap out, but the walls shouldn't give way. Just my thoughts.
Thanks again for the advice.

It IS necessary to check the roof seams and openings regularly, at least once a year. It probably says that somewhere in your owner paperwork, though it ought to be called out in big letters and rarely is.  And while $20k is  not chump change, it is not an expensive when you consider all that goes into an RV, even a modest sized trailer.  I hope Jayco does something for you, but let's face it: your warranty has to end sometime and 5 months is not  just a few days over the line. If they pay for the fix or even offer you  partial payment, consider yourself lucky and grab what is offered.  If you  had a problem with a car that was 5 months out of warranty, your chances of getting any attention at all would be pretty slim.

SCC said:
Thanks.,,,,The bubbling is the front, right inside (basically near the dinnette table); it's a random scatter pattern and the bulk of it is at least a foot from the roof. I would compare it to a "popcorn ceiling" effect under wallpaper. The condensation is all along the right side where the wall meets the ceiling. It also goes down the wall and it's obvious it's a seam under there as the condensation is a perfect 2 inch or so wide strip. I took paper towels and stuck it to the walls and took pictures so my dealer can see.

Is the refrigerator near there?

Perhaps IT is allowing condensation to accumulate behind it. Something like that is currently happening to a friends trailer, and it MAY even be a Jaco. I'll check for ya. I know it's about 26', with the kitchen at the front, and the master in the rear to the left ( standing inside looking back )

I'll try to get more info from him tomorrow

Seve,

I hate to bring bad news but Jayco has had a problem with their rubber roof material. It turns out it is porous and leaks. I worked for a dealer part time and they had to replace a lot of them. I would have your dealer pursue Jayco replacing it even though it's out of warranty. Sometimes they will but it's hard to say with this economy.

Thanks Everyone!
-The fridge is on the left wall, so no issues there.
-Jim-I'll mention the roof thing when I'm there today saying hello; the cmaper is scheduled to be dropped off in a few weeks but I'll be in near them today and will pop in. Vans RV has been good to me so far so I'm hoping we all figure out something. I paid a few extra bucks to buy it from them vs. another local dealer and so far it was money well spent.
I'll let you all know in a few weeks and again, I really appreciate the advice/help/comments.
Steve

Jim Dick said:
Jayco has had a problem with their rubber roof material. It turns out it is porous and leaks.

HOLY CRAP !!

That's sooooo sad to hear ...

Finally! Someone that I've found with the same problem.  We have a 2004 Prowler Lynx that's doing the same thing.  Isolated area with "bumps" behind wallpaper.  It is above our bed in the front wall, nowhere near the fridge or vents.  When I made a small cut in wallpaper to see, these "bumps" are white chunks resembling pebbles.  No condensation inside on the top of the wallpaper though and I run a dehumidifer in the Winter.

Have you received a diagnosis yet on what this actually is?  We did have a roof seam redone last Spring just because it was looking weathered and this problem has appeared since then.  We brought our trailer right down to the dealer last night in fear that the rain will cause more and more damage but will have to wait to see what they find.

I'm really curious what they say it is in your case.  Thanks!

mayfair said:
I found the link in the Library

Here ya go:

CLICK HERE

Mayfair, thanks for your detailed post on the installing the Eternal Bond Tape.  How very kind of you to record each step of the process to help make the work easier for others!!  I have copied and stored that info into my trailer file so I will have it for the future!

I'm glad you dug it. I wish I would have taken some more pics of the tape itself, but I got so wrapped up with putting it down that I forgot until i was all done.

Sorry

If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask

Back
Top Bottom