Quartzsite 06 Forum Rally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Betty Brewer said:
What is going on in Indio? and when?

Betty

Western Area FMCA Rally; 1/11-15/2006 at the Riverside County Fairgrounds. I am coordinating some activities for the Chai Chapter of FMCA at the rally and Al volunteered to help.

Jim:

Nice to meet a fellow Marylander.  We are Montanians now, but still have strong ties to Maryland.  In fact my wife flew back there yesterday for a couple weeks.  We lived just 30 miles south of you.

I say try the slabs.  I purchased a video tape on all the desert boondock spots and The Slabs was one of the ones they documented.  Much more remote than QZ, but still looks like a lot of fun for dry camping.  The only problem they sited there was occasional high winds and sand storms.  Hmmm.  Maybe it is not such a good idea LOL!

Glad you will be with us in QZ.  Yes this is the best group of RVers I have met on the Internet.  This coming QZ will be our first one also.

P.S.

I see several of you have posted on Indio.  We are planning to do Indio, but not sure how and when to sign up.  It will be our first FMCA rally if we make it.

Smoky said:
P.S.

I see several of you have posted on Indio.  We are planning to do Indio, but not sure how and when to sign up.  It will be our first FMCA rally if we make it.

Smoky

You can sign up for it on the FMCA website:  http://www.fmca.com/areas/western/wea_2006.asp

The rally runs from 1/11/06 to the 15th, $80 for 2 people and a coach if you sign up before 12/23/05, dry camping. One of the best FMCA area rallies, almost as good as the Nationals.

I say try the slabs.  I purchased a video tape on all the desert boondock spots and The Slabs was one of the ones they documented.

I would say if Betty recommends against the Slabs then take her advice.  She has been there done that and sounds like no intention to go back. Probably good solid advice.

BernieD said:
Betty

Western Area FMCA Rally; 1/11-15/2006 at the Riverside County Fairgrounds. I am coordinating some activities for the Chai Chapter of FMCA at the rally and Al volunteered to help.

Uh, Bernie... what's the weather expected to be in that neck of the woods that week?

I'm an FMCA member after all... I'd say it's possible based on my itenery... ID is north of NV, and AZ south of and my daughter is inbetween (That is she is in Las Vegas, NV) and.. Well She's on the stopping list too... So ID on the 11th is not out of line

Maybe Betty could elaborate on why she does not like the slabs.  Looked pretty interesting on my tape, and some cool people there.  The wind is a little scary though, maybe that is it.  I have a long term goal of visiting every one of those public land places mentioned on the tape.  When I get a chance I will list the name of the documentary.  I found it very interesting and the section on QZ was priceless.

Thanks Bernie on the signup info for Indio.  I need to go to the FMCA web site anyway, to get my address changed over for magazine delivery.  Is this rally large enough that companies show up that do service on coaches?

John In Detroit said:
Uh, Bernie... what's the weather expected to be in that neck of the woods that week?

I'm an FMCA member after all... I'd say it's possible based on my itenery... ID is north of NV, and AZ south of and my daughter is inbetween (That is she is in Las Vegas, NV) and.. Well She's on the stopping list too... So ID on the 11th is not out of line

John

I'm not sure I understand your itinerary. Indio is in California, next to Palm Springs. Anyways, the weather is warm (relatively speaking :D), maybe not shorts but short sleeves many days. some rain is possible.

Smoky said:
Thanks Bernie on the signup info for Indio.  I need to go to the FMCA web site anyway, to get my address changed over for magazine delivery.  Is this rally large enough that companies show up that do service on coaches?

Smoky

There might be a few OEM supplier agents/dealers that might do some work. The OEM companies themselves are not there. While the Indio rally is one of the largest Area rallies, it is still usually only between 1,500 and 2,500 family coaches. Blue Ox and Roadmaster as well as a few other aftermarket companies are usually there and do some work.

Smoky said:
Maybe Betty could elaborate on why she does not like the slabs.  Looked pretty interesting on my tape, and some cool people there. 

Smoky,

I don't know about Betty's view but my one time there convinced me that SLABS is the ghetto of the RV world.  There are NO rules and dumping holding tanks down a varmint hole is a wide spread practice.  Some of the regulars are WAAAAAAAY cool or interesting depending on your point of view.  Sometimes the music at night is good and you can hear it all over the SLABS no matter where you park.  If you are parked with a fun group you might like it. 

I believe Quartzsite is a much better place for desert camping.

Phil

BernieD said:
John

I'm not sure I understand your itinerary. Indio is in California, next to Palm Springs. Anyways, the weather is warm (relatively speaking :D), maybe not shorts but short sleeves many days. some rain is possible.

I seem to have a reading error then... Ok, that's well within posibility for me to make, still in the neighborhood as it were of QZ and LV,  I may try to make it... Will talk to wife

Would like to make an FMCA rally,,, Since I got a goose egg and all

Phil:

Yep the Slabs sounds interesting to me.  I would not want to camp in those conditions every night.... but it is fun once in a while to be in place with a Key West kinda atmosphere.  <g>

That's an aerial view of Quartzsite, AZ.  We normally meet a couple miles south of I10 in the BLM area.  What prompted you to ask?

This is a satelite photo of the area. If you look closely near the bottom of the photo you will see a square with a + in the center. I was told this is where we would meet. Is that correct?

Smoky said:
Maybe Betty could elaborate on why she does not like the slabs.? Looked pretty interesting on my tape, and some cool people there.? The wind is a little scary though, maybe that is it.? I have a long term goal of visiting every one of those public land places mentioned on the tape.?

Smoky,
Bottom line, I did not feel safe at the slabs.? We all have our comfort level and I felt out of place at that place.
Wind was not a problem as I expect wind to be bad in any desert.? Quartzsite has some of the worst winds you'll ever see.
I love ?your goal of visiting places.? I like to visit factories and see how things are made.? If you go to the slabs with your nice new rig? may I suggest that? you arrive early in the day so that if you change your mind about it being for you, you have time to retreat to a different spot. Just my opinion of the spot.? And every one has a different perception and experience.? I did buy a post card of the painted mountain.? Colorful?? Yes indeed.
Betty

BernieD said:
You can sign up for it on the FMCA website:? http://www.fmca.com/areas/western/wea_2006.asp
The rally runs from 1/11/06 to the 15th, $80 for 2 people and a coach if you sign up before 12/23/05, dry camping. One of the best FMCA area rallies, almost as good as the Nationals.

Thank you Bernie for the? information on the western Area FMCA Rally.? I posted the information on our calendar and Terry signed us up to go.? I think we've gone to the Indio Rally for over 10 years.? I agree that it is as good or better than the Nationals.? We also signed up to Go to Pomona International in March.? It is Terry's turn to plan this year!
Betty

I think we've gone to the Indio Rally for over 10 years.  I agree that it is as good or better than the Nationals.

I have only been to one Western area FMCA rally and I was not so impressed.  Didn't even come close to any National FMCA rally we have attended.  But then that is probably why we only went once. ;D ;D

That's close enough James.  Unfortunately the photo is not clear enough to be absolutely sure,  You can't be off more than 100 yards I'd bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom