Toad Weight to 1600LB (750kg) ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UK-RV

Hi Guys

As you know, we are looking to buy a toad when we get there in Jan 06, ready for our DP purchase in Feb.

The problem I have is that if we import the toad back to the UK with us, we can only tow a max weight of 750KG (approx 1600LB).

Do any of you know a website that will list vehicles according to weight ? - or can anyone suggest a vehicle to 1600LB ?

If we can find something suitable, we will buy new and import to UK.

If we cant find anything, we will buy used and sell before we import the RV back here.

Your help is (ONCE AGAIN) appreciated.

Regards

Paul

Paul

I don't recall seeing a site that has that information presented that way. If nobody comes up with an answer, you might try contacting the folks at Remco. They're considered to be the towing experts and know the specs on just about anything that can be towed. They might have a list sorted the way you want.

I can't think of any current US vehicle that would be as light as 1600 lbs.  My Tracker SUV, for example, is considered quite light at 3100 lbs.  The Mini Cooper is available here, but it too is nearly 2700 lbs, well over your limit.  You could probably find a vintage MGB on a US car lot, but I think those were well over 1600 lbs as well.

I think you will have to use the "buy here, sell here" option.

I was struggling with the weight criteria also Gary. I checked a few manufacturers web sites and was surprised that some don't list their vehicle weights. Saturn's smallest offering (the Ion) weighs in at over 2,700 lbs.

Thanks Guys,

After further research this end, Ive found that the motorhomes which tow vehicles over here can do so to a total combined weight of 8.5 tonnes (c18,000lbs).

As most motorhomes here are c-class type, the total weight isnt really an issue (even smaller a-class get away with towing their vehicles as long as the total is under 18,000lbs)

However, as the DP will be over 7.5 tonnes (16,500lbs) on its own, the maximum tow weight I can pull is 750kg - this is on my Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) Licence.

If I want to tow a vehicle in the UK over 750kg, then I will have to take the next driving test up from LGV - to drive articulated trucks.

So, it is not going to be worth importing a car back to the UK - I will buy and sell within the year (any recommendations for toads which hold their value more than others??).

As I can hardly ask Ann-Marie to drive behind me wherever we go in the UK, it now seems I am destined to take that extra driving test shortly after returning to the UK in early/mid 2007.

I just can't wait !!

Paul

Paul

Given the length of time you might be in the U.S. it's highly possible that you'll venture to places where you'll be wishing you had a 4-wheel drive vehicle (aka SUV). So why not buy one to start with? There are numerous small 4WD's to choose from. Gary mentioned his Geo Chevy Tracker. Several folks here have or had the Mitsubishi Suzuki Grand Vitara, and several folks here tow a Jeep. The Jeep will be outside your target price range unless you buy used.

Make that a CHEVOLET Tracker and a SUZUKI Grand Vitara, Tom.  ;)  Jeep Libertys are popular small 4 WD vehicles too.

Paul,

Any diesel pusher you buy here is going to way far more than 18,000 lbs, probably a minimum of 22,000 lbs (loaded weight) and quite likely much more if you are looking at 40 footers or upscale models.  Don't know if that will affect your licensing plans, but thought I should mention it.

Thanks for the correction Gary  :-[  Chevy/Geo is the same company, but how could I have got Mitsubishi and Suzuki mixed up, especially since I was looking at a photo of Jim's SUV when I typed that.

RV Roamer said:
Any diesel pusher you buy here is going to way far more than 18,000 lbs, probably a minimum of 22,000 lbs (loaded weight) and quite likely much more if you are looking at 40 footers or upscale models.? Don't know if that will affect your licensing plans, but thought I should mention it.

The 93 Bounder Diesel we owned had a GVWR of 19,000 lbs not considered heavy as far as diesel pushers go.

Thanks Gary

On my LGV Licence, I can drive upto 70,000lbs (32 tonne or something around that) in the UK - so long as it is a fixed body vehicle

The funny thing is that if I want to tow a trailer/vehicle etc the maximum weight (including toad) for my Licence is 18,000lbs.

CRAZY !!

It doesnt make any sense - I guess they are saying it is harder to drive an articulated vehicle of 18,000lbs than it is to drive a rigid vehicle of 70,000lbs.

Paul

Obviously the authorities feel an articulated lorry is a different animal than a rigid body lorry.  At some level perhaps that is true, but 750 kg seems like a ridiculous cutoff point. Of well, there is no value in second guessing them. A license upgrade is definitely in your future unless there is some kind of exception for non-commercial vehicles.  Have you asked other UK RV drivers about this? Maybe there is a loophole somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom