Would you consider a 1984 Southwind diesel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
S

seilerbird

I am in the market for a used Class A from the 80s and I have found a 27 foot 1985 Southwind with a 6.2L Chevy diesel. Does anyone have an opinion about buying a 80s era diesel? Would it be better or worse than a gasser for a full timer on a budget? Here is a link to the ad:

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/rvs/1422343612.html

No.  That was a mediocre engine and as I recall it is coupled to a 4 speed tranny. Miserable performance in general and you get all the negatives of diesel maintenance expense and few, if any, advantages over gas. But you may feel differently, so give it a try.

For an oldie, I'd rather have a simpler gas engine that I could work on better myself and get parts anywhere and for less.

RV Roamer said:
No.  That was a mediocre engine and as I recall it is coupled to a 4 speed tranny. Miserable performance in general and you get all the negatives of diesel maintenance expense and few, if any, advantages over gas. But you may feel differently, so give it a try.

For an oldie, I'd rather have a simpler gas engine that I could work on better myself and get parts anywhere and for less.

Thanks for the advice Gary. I don't feel differently, I have about a dozen gassers that are on my list and I was leaning towards a gasser anyway. I just needed another opinion to make sure I was on the right track.

Tom,

In todays Camp Verde Journal (50 miles south of Flagstaff, AZ.) there is a 1987 Barth 25' for sale. Chevy 254 engine, 105K miles. $10,000. 928-282-0922  (282 is a Sedona prefix)

More info and pictures  http://www.rixey.net/barth/

Don't know if this is anything you would be interested in but happened to see it in todays paper.

Thanks but I am looking for something in the $2000 to $4000 range. There are a lot of units available and it will be hard to pick one. I certainly don't expect a perfect vehicle for this price but I like what I am seeing so far.

The biggest thing about the 6.2 is that it has no power.  Fuel economy though was good.  It is a solid reliable engine, and would be fine in the flatlands.  A carburated 454 Chevy or 460 Ford are strong enough in a 30 footer or less if you are looking at 80s models.

If that Barth is in your price range, they use top quality materials throughout and they age well.

Well I am not going to be towing, but I will be traveling a lot in the mountains of the west. I am not really concerned about getting there fast, I am just concerned about getting there reliably.

seilerbird said:
Well I am not going to be towing, but I will be traveling a lot in the mountains of the west. I am not really concerned about getting there fast, I am just concerned about getting there reliably.

The 6.2 has no Turbo.  The turbo is a huge part of an advantage that the diesels get in the mountains.  It lessens the effect of the reduced oxygen at altitude. 

There should be plenty in your price range with 454 or 460 gas engines.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom