Generator removal--2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tennsmith

Anyone know how the Onan generator comes out?  Does the front fiberglas front-end panel have to be removed or does the generator drop out through the bottom with the vehicle front end elevated?  It certainly won't fit through the small panel used to check oil/water, etc.  ???

I removed mine by raiseing the front end, I have the hydraulic jacks for leveling so it was easy to block under the front jack and lift away the body. Useing a floor jack and blocks I lowered the generator and rolled it out.>>>Dan  (I also have an 8000 SF shop to work in)

John Canfield said:
Bob - remove it with your checkbook  :D

My suggestion as well.  My experience with Cummins Onan service has been very positive so far.  I would give them a shot at it before removing it.

When I had mine repaired the labor rate in Las Vagas was $116.00 per hour. The gen has to be removed for almost any servive due to the side panels, but its no problem for someone with a little tool knowledge. I'm  happy with the results after the last trip of 5500 miles and 45 hrs on the gen fault free.>>>Dan

Bob, I forgot to mention that I raised mine in two stages, I went up the limit the first stage and placed jack-stands under the hard points then with more lumber went up some more on the second lift to 42 inches.>>>D

Guys, I appreciate your comments about taking the high road and letting someone else do it.  But........this is Alabama and even though I live in the 4th largest city, there is no Cummins-Onan service here with the closest one being Atlanta.  Labor rates here running 105/hr and wherever I take it, I may be the "first time ever" for pulling the generator.  What should be a 3 hr job, may be a 3 day job due to inexperience and I can't stand that.  I also worry about collateral damage, a real thing here when Bubbas have wrenches.  I am going to see if any of the 3 RV places in town, listed as full service Onan dealers, have a "flat rate" for generator removal/installation.  If so, I may reconsider, if not, I know I am up to the task from a skills/tools standpoint.

Driving to Atlanta brings on its own set of problems, as I think it would be a multi-day repair due to the nature of the part being replaced.  That means a motel room for several days or finding a friend who would follow me over, bring me back home, then take me back over, etc.    My understanding is that the controller/inverter is a "swap out" with Onan with the old part being returned to them in exchange for a "reconditioned/rebuilt" unit.  I can/will call ahead and see if they have one on the shelf, but I doubt it.  I've got to get the part number first and have a part's manual on order as we speak.  Perhaps they can "pre-order" the part so they'd have one on hand the day I arrive.

I certainly can appreciate the issues you raised about not having handy service dealers.  When our dash air quit early into our summer trip, I was looking for Freightliner Oasis dealers - none of them were close to our location.  If you have the tools and a good area to work in (and the desire), do it yourself - why not...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom