Workhorse Brake Recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

miket

The latest info points to a longer wait for parts than earlier reported. Testing is ongoing in the desert. I suspect it will be 2010 before the fix is available.

New info shows the piston is swelling cone shaped, with the fattest portion toward the pad. The thinking now is if someone has new pads installed, the piston is forced further back into the bore and can stick when the brakes are applied and get hot. The phenolic has shown it expands when hot. This may explain brake failure after pad replacement

Mike, I believe we are still under the belief that the phenolic piston has been the culprit because of the swelling in the bore during the presence of moisture, so the recall will involve Bosch calipers with steel pistons.  These steel pistons will eliminate any swelling in the bore.  Please correct me if this is wrong.

The statement about the swelling causing cone shaped phenolic pistons with newly installed pads is definately new information, and we appreciate the heads up!  Maybe that explains some of the very low mileage failures.  

I wonder what the recall holdup could be, as I hear that Bosch has completed the calipers, and Workhorse is standing ready for the market implementation.  If you hear anything else regarding this, please let us know.....all info is good info!  :)

I had a conference call yesterday (Friday) and Bosch is still doing testing. The word I have received is that once Bosch decides on the method of "fix" it may take an additional 7 to 8 weeks for production to have the numbers needed for the recall. What I have been told is that Workhorse is not the hold up on this important issue.

What I do know as of now, the calipers will not have pads installed. Either the original pads will be used, or new ones, depending on the condition of the original pads. Rotors are not included unless they have been damaged by a caliper failure.

A copy of the guide lines on the recall should be posted at "the other site". I do not visit that site anymore, so I'm not sure if it has been posted there yet.

I also asked if Workhorse could post copies of recalls and other important notices on their web site, and it has been kicked to their IT department. It probably will take a while before it gets put on.

I was told that I can post or make available any Service Bulletins. Also any other info that is cleared to release. I have a pdf copy of the latest release, but I don't have a place to post the almost 1meg file.

I am sorry that this info is changing and I still do not know when parts and the "fix" will be available. Hopefully some of the proposals suggested to WH will get on their web site and elsewhere.

I just checked the other site, the campaign  50902 -1 is not posted there yet, however the 2009 chassis guide is, but that is going to be revised to include a list of campaigns to date, plus some other minor mods to it.   

[quote author=miket]I have a pdf copy of the latest release, but I don't have a place to post the almost 1meg file.[/quote]

Mike,

Email the file to me (click the 'envelope icon beneath my avatar) and I'll get it up on this site, provided there are no copyright restrictions Thanks.

Got it Mike, thanks. Here's the direct link to the file. I'll get it into the library later. I also dropped a note in our Industry News and Recalls board here.

Mike - thanks for the update, it is very helpful.  Just out of curiosity, to which other site are you referring? 

Thanks so much Mike and Tom for the link.  ;D

No, I dont go to the "other site" (irv2) either.  I'm looking for facts and not pom pom waving! 

Mike, VERY GOOD and VALUABLE new info...thanks again!

FrontrangeRVer said:
Thanks so much Mike and Tom for the link.  ;D

No, I dont go to the "other site" (irv2) either.  I'm looking for facts and not pom pom waving! 

Mike, VERY GOOD and VALUABLE new info...thanks again!

I guess I missed the "pom-pom waving".  What I have seen on that site regarding WH and Winnebago/Itasca related threads have been very valuable to me.  Actually, I thought Mike might have been referring to RV.net, but I guess not.

FWIW all the staff and I here have tried to do for the last 16 years is serve the need of our forum members, and to stay neutral. We don't always succeed, and (IMHO too often) we take some stick for our efforts, but we keep trying.

I believe that miket's appearance on the scene was a welcome event. Contrary to some of the "anti-WH Ambassador" comments I'd read, Mike has been very open about his communications with WH.

Personally, I feel for all the folks who experienced these problems; I can't imagine what it's like to drive down the road in a coach with the nagging feeling that the brakes might not function as expected at some random time. It appears that WH is attempting to do the right thing, and that Mike is a good conduit for information.

BTW we're not sponsored by any manufacturer, and are therefore able to remain unbiased. To take a line from a TV host, this is "The no-spin zone".

There may be some confusion since two of the Workhorse Ambassadors are Mike. I am miket, the other is DriVer on iRV2. I try to give the facts without the spin and glitter. Basically I am a Doubting Thomas until I can verify what I' have been told.

The above info was released at the Workhorse Chassis Club Rally in Greenville, Ohio in July, but a print version was not available until now.

Tom said:
Contrary to some of the "anti-WH Ambassador" comments I'd read, Mike has been very open about his communications with WH.

Tom, you are correct.  MikeT is very open about his communciations with WH.  :)

The other two Ambassadors border on rediculous!  ::)

FrontrangeRVer said:
Tom, you are correct.  MikeT is very open about his communciations with WH.  :)

The other two Ambassadors border on rediculous!  ::)

Again, I completely disagree with you in your last sentence.  Driver has been extremely helpful to those of us who are not mechanically inclined (and to those who are) and has taken the time to explain things in laymen's terms.  He is obviously passionate about WH and makes no bones about it.  I'm sure miket is no less so.  Your comment about "the two other Ambassadors borders on rediculous" is not only misspelled, but is itself ridiculous.  Don't mistake knowledge for "pompom waving".

OK guys, let's not let this discussion go spiraling down.

Absolutely Tom!  I didn't know I had misspelled a word....I've learned my lesson and will run spell check from now on!  ;D

miket said:
................. should be posted at "the other site". I do not visit that site anymore, ......................  

I'm sorry, I thought you were talking about irv2.  

I decided to check if the latest info was posted, the 50902 bulletin ---- it is posted as 50901 which is the Interim Notice ---  it is not as complete as the posting here, the pix are missing now---

::)This recall seems suspicious in a few ways. I have been involved in a few RV recalls and they were always flat out recalls. This 'interim recall' seem to try to limit liability for Workhorse but isn't too helpful to consumers, since you can get all the symptoms listed in the recall but an inspection of the calipers may only result in a position by Workhorse that says the calipers are okay so Workhorse won't pay the $400 for the inspection due to the failure caused by their bad calipers (yikes this is a paradox). I had a failure while on the road that exhibited all the symptons listed in the interim recall letter, but the calipers escaped damage (maybe because I sensed the problem (caused by the bad design) and pulled off and when the brake pedal continued to go to the floor I had the MH towed.  So I called Workhorse and I think they were a little rude and curt, but listened to my concerns.  I noticed on another forum that there may be a dispute on who is picking up the cost of the repairs which makes me wonder if the new parts are designed and available but we all may be waiting for the accountability on the costs to be ironed out.  Anyway this stinks because you have the interim recall that appears to maybe remove injury liability from Workhorse while you don't know whether to take a chance to use the MH or wait for the final notice.  I was told clearly that the final recall will get the bad parts replaced and Workhorse will pay (except for your new brake fluid). People will have to decide if they want to avoid Workhorse chassis MH's for their next purchase. I think this recall is being handled very poorly from a consumer and safety point of view. ???

People will have to decide if they want to avoid Workhorse chassis MH's for their next purchase. (Ralphross)

From what I've been reading on various forums, the WorkHorse chassis will not be considered by a lot of people.  I think the ultimate loser in this recall will indeed be WH. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom