Workhorse Brake Recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jc2 said:
I think the ultimate loser in this recall will indeed be WH. :(
I don't think it is the recall, but rather very bad customer service that is the real problem at WH.  I agree that WH will be the ultimate loser.

The actual recall has not happened yet. WH tried to inform owners of what the signs are of a caliper hanging up and will issue the recall when Bosch has made the parts for the NHTSA recall to be completed. The purpose of the Interim notice was to inform the owners of the problems.

There has been enough said about this issue, when the parts are available, then you will be notified and can schedule an appointment for the calipers.

This subject has been beaten to death on all the boards, there will be no further comment from me until new information is available. The Interim Notice and 50902 is posted at various boards.

miket said:
The actual recall has not happened yet. WH tried to inform owners of what the signs are of a caliper hanging up and will issue the recall when Bosch has made the parts for the NHTSA recall to be completed. The purpose of the Interim notice was to inform the owners of the problems.

There has been enough said about this issue, when the parts are available, then you will be notified and can schedule an appointment for the calipers.

This subject has been beaten to death on all the boards, there will be no further comment from me until new information is available. The Interim Notice and 50902 is posted at various boards.

We still luv ya MikeT. 8)

;D  OK   I just asked Tom to add to the library "Why change Brake Fluid PDF" where Workhorse in Print states to change brake fluid every 2 years or 24,000 miles. It is finally in print, it ain't in your manuals, but it is in print!!! 8) :eek:  :D  It's in Red, not black and white --- ;D

For those of us - especially me - who are not mechanically inclined, should I change my brake fluid every other year, or will every 24,000 miles suffice.  Sorry if this seems to be a dumb question, but it isn't intended to be.  I'm almost at the 24,000 marks and have already had it changed three times in five years.  If I don't have to as much I'd prefer not to.

miket said:
Note: Workhorse Custom Chassis recommends fluid check with
replacement ever two (2) years or 24,000 miles. (Whichever comes first)

Thanks, Mike.  It's nice to know that I was doing something right, even if I didn't realize it!

How can a sealed system have moisture contamination??? I will buy dirty or burned but unless the cap is off a lot I am struggling to see how the water gets in there.

wayne

zukIzzy said:
How can a sealed system have moisture contamination?
Wayne,

It's not a sealed system.  There is a vent on the fluid cap.

Photog said:
Wayne,

It's not a sealed system.  There is a vent on the fluid cap.

Nope there is a vent on the cap but there is an expandable seal between that and the fluid. Brake fluid does absorb moisture quickly so I agree it would need changing if exposed to the air but it is not. In fact I would and have changed fluid if the cap was left off for more then a few days.

Wayne

It's my understanding that the Workhorse brake fluid reservour is a sealed system.  Every time you remove the cap(s), you somewhat contaminate the fluid by allowing moisture to enter the reservour.

Wayne and Mark,

I stand corrected.  I thought the vent hole was sufficient for moisture to enter the system.

FrontrangeRVer said:
It's my understanding that the Workhorse brake fluid reservour is a sealed system.  Every time you remove the cap(s), you somewhat contaminate the fluid by allowing moisture to enter the reservour.

Why would you remove the cap on a translucent MC reservoir? thats why they are see thru so you don't have to remove the cap. I try to never remove the brake or clutch res cap if possible due to moisture contamination. I was told that years ago by a pikes peak racer, they suffer big brake fluid boiling issues I am told.

Wayne

This is from the info I and Tom posted and the links are on Pg one of this thread -- a partial posting of the prior info ---

Brake Fluid Preventive Maintenance
Many experts have long recommended changing the brake fluid every year or two for preventative maintenance. Their
rationale is based on the fact that glycol-based brake fluid starts to absorb moisture from the moment it is put in the
system. The fluid attracts moisture through microscopic pores in rubber hoses, past seals and exposure to the air. The
problem is obviously worse in wet climates where humidity is high.

After only a year of service, the brake fluid in the average vehicle may contain as much as two percent water. After 18
months, the level of contamination can be as high as three percent. And after several years of service, it is not unusual to
find brake fluid that contains as much as seven to eight percent water.

miket said:
This is from the info I and Tom posted and the links are on Pg one of this thread -- a partial posting of the prior info ---

Brake Fluid Preventive Maintenance
Many experts have long recommended changing the brake fluid every year or two for preventative maintenance. Their
rationale is based on the fact that glycol-based brake fluid starts to absorb moisture from the moment it is put in the
system. The fluid attracts moisture through microscopic pores in rubber hoses, past seals and exposure to the air. The
problem is obviously worse in wet climates where humidity is high.

After only a year of service, the brake fluid in the average vehicle may contain as much as two percent water. After 18
months, the level of contamination can be as high as three percent. And after several years of service, it is not unusual to
find brake fluid that contains as much as seven to eight percent water.
Do you have any info you can post that states this workhorse brake problem is cured by rpl brake fluid?

zukIzzy said:
Why would you remove the cap on a translucent MC reservoir? thats why they are see thru so you don't have to remove the cap. I try to never remove the brake or clutch res cap if possible due to moisture contamination. I was told that years ago by a pikes peak racer, they suffer big brake fluid boiling issues I am told.

Wayne

I cant see through mine!  I have no idea what the level is......  ;)

Well then you may want to take your off to check levels then ;D I have a ford and I can see thru to check the level, in fact they are so close to the bottom of the dash it does no good to take the caps off and when I do need to add fluid I do it with the hose on my preasure bleeder or a syringe.

I think I will have some brake fluid tested when I send in my next oil sample just to see how acurate those claims are. It is dry here so I suspect I will have less moisture then the article claims.

wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom