Workhorse Brake Recall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Gary "might" have slightly missed bsimich's point.  Gary is right that the P series (and the W-24) uses different calipers and brake systems.

I THINK bsimich was trying to say that our chassis calipers' are no different than the Bosch calipers on other motorhome chassis, namely FORD.  Ford Class A chassis use the exact same Bosch calipers that the Workhorse W-20/22 uses, and the phenolic piston problem hasn't cropped up there it seems.

I certainly don't believe other chassis (namely bread trucks, school busses, etc) do much preventative maintenance on their brakes like lubricating the pins or changing the brake fluid like the rest of anal retentive motorhome chassis owners do....they just drive the SNOT out of them, which is something we don't do.

The only manufacturer that is getting hurt by Workhorse blaming the owner for "riding the brakes", is Workhorse.  :eek:

I certainly don't believe other chassis (namely bread trucks, school busses, etc) do much preventative maintenance on their brakes like lubricating the pins or changing the brake fluid like the rest of anal retentive motorhome chassis owners do....they just drive the SNOT out of them, which is something we don't do.

That's exactly the point.   It's not the driving that causes the problems with the phenolic pistons, it's the sitting around that does them in.  When you drive the rig normal brake heating drives the water out of the phenolic before enough can infiltrate and swell the piston.  Let the rig sit for a while and you have problems.  Most likely Bosch never envisioned their brake assemblies sitting in the weather for months at a time between uses.

BTW, other disk brakes can stick if they sit for a long time.   My 1994 Ford pickup has gone through two sets of front calipers, both after letting the truck sit for a couple of months.   The culprit was the metal cylinder walls rusting and not letting the piston release.

Lou Schneider said:
That's exactly the point.   It's not the driving that causes the problems with the phenolic pistons, it's the sitting around that does them in.  When you drive the rig normal brake heating drives the water out of the phenolic before enough can infiltrate and swell the piston.  Let the rig sit for a while and you have problems.  Most likely Bosch never envisioned their brake assemblies sitting in the weather for months at a time between uses.

Yes...I agree..that's the point....our motorhomes sit for extended periods of time. 

I guess bsmich's point is that other chassis (I am presuming he meant Ford) with the exact same phenolic pin Bosch Calipers don't have this problem.

Maybe MikeT can chime in here and let us know if the new caliper replacement will have steel pins instead of phenolic pins.

Somehow all this sounds like mumbo-jumbo to me. I don't have a dog in this fight.

Who knows the real answer? Has any RV'r with the problem been able to scientifically prove anything, in writing?

I am not getting involved just asking a simple question.

carson FL

Carson, yes, it has been determined that the swelling of the phenolic piston in the caliper is the problem.  Some 200,000 replacement calipers are being manufactured by Bosch at this very moment (so we hear).

FrontrangeRVer said:
Carson, yes, it has been determined that the swelling of the phenolic piston in the caliper is the problem.

What? I thought it was because I didn't drive my MH properly or enough, change the brake fluid enough, didn't use the Grade Brake properly, always drove with my foot on the brakes, let it sit too long in storage; that's what I've been told over and over for 3+ years... and now you say that there's an actual scientfic reason behind all these brake failures? WooHoo, it's not me?!

On Oct 26, 2009, I experienced total brake failure on 2003 Winnebago Motor home at 18,000 miles. Afterward, I discovered the chassis, manufactured by Workhorse, a division of Navistar, is under a recall. (see web site)

Office of Defects Investigation

My motor home is unsafe to drive

Read all your posts here; sorry to hear that you too are having brakes issues. Unfortunately, you're probably finding out that this story is all too common and goes back close to four years. I am glad that you have taken the time to post here and the further action you've taken, since Workhorse and even a few members at various rv forums still try to claim that it must be driver or operator error. I have never taken that position, and never will, so keep up your efforts in seeking repairs and exposure to this serious safety defect.

Workhorse Chassis owners, thanks for reading and posting here!  When the official Brake Recall is announced, you will read about it here first!  ;D

Thanks to Tom for letting us owners have an official place to look for the latest information on our chassis!

[quote author=FrontrangeRVer]Thanks to Tom for letting us owners have an official place to look for the latest information on our chassis![/quote]

Mark, for clarification, there's nothing "official" about it; This forum is open to anyone with an RV or an interest in RV'ing. We have no affiliation with any organization, and we're not sponsored by any manufacturer. All we ask is that folks follow our forum rules.

Tom said:
Mark, for clarification, there's nothing "official" about it; This forum is open to anyone with an RV or an interest in RV'ing. We have no affiliation with any organization, and we're not sponsored by any manufacturer. All we ask is that folks follow our forum rules.

Gotcha....I meant to say official thread....or maybe the latest Workhorse Brake thread....or something to that effect!  We just appreciate a place to get the FACTS out to other affected owners.  And we are THRILLED about the no-sponsorship here at RVForum.net!   ;)

It appears that this topic (aka thread) has served its original purpose, and recently became the target of some personal issues between several forum members. As a result, I'm closing this one down from further posting, but it will remain in full view of all members.

If anyone has new information to add, feel free to start a new topic. If/when deemed appropriate, a staff member might decide to merge the new and old topics at a later date.

I'll take this opportunity to remind folks that our forum rules prohibit personal attacks. If you have a gripe with someone, take it to PM or to email. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom