exterior "glue joints" are failing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

News Flash for WB:  the glue joints holding the exterior fiberglass panels are failing  PS: this is a 2007!!!

First the "hood" glue joints failed, the the rear engine access panel glue joints failed, now the rear quarter panel glue joints are failing; WHAT's NEXT?

I've repaired these failures with self tapping screws which aren't the most beautiful solution but at least they don't come loose.

Is anyone else having this terrible situation?  It really speaks volumes for coach design and material selectiion, duh???????

uuuuugggggghhhhh, thx, G.

This problem has been going on for a while. I am having this problem on my 05 and know people with older coaches have also experienced it.

The problem seems to be a lack of preparation of the metal prior to applying the glue. In my case and others, the metal was painted and should not have been. It seems to be the paint that is letting go and not the glue being used.

Methods of repairing the problem has varied widely and I am not sure which is the best solution at this point. I am leaning toward reapplying the same glue and preparing the surface properly this time around.

THIS seems to be the glue being used by Winnebago.

Had the same problem, but the price of the Winnebago adhesive drove me to an alternative. Used JB Weld, and it is "holding" up well after 3 years and several thousands of miles. I think the key is to ensure that all mating surfaces are clean and roughed up a bit. Worked for me.

Like Harry says, this has been a sporadic, but persistent problem.  My engine compartment louvers came loose a year ago and I glued them back to their rightful place with the same two part adhesive Winnie uses (the adhesive was previously named - I forgot what it's called.)  So far so good and that's the only part that has migrated loose.

JB Weld seems to be a good choice.  Epoxy with an appropriate filler (or thickener) material would also be an excellent choice for loose parts.  Even better is not having the problem when it leaves Big Bertha  ;)

I can at least visualize clamping the hood and the aft engine louvered access hood long enough for a glue to cure but the right rear quarter panels?  How in the world could you "clamp" that?  Maybe if you remove the next panel then you can get enough access to clamp?

BTW, if these parts start flying off due to manufacturing defects, doesn't this become a public safety issue and merit a recall?  Is WB listening?

Back
Top Bottom