Mystery Access Door Vectra 40AD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yolo

Our new to us, 2004 Vectra 40AD has a locked access door on the curb side rear of the slide-out about 6 feet off the ground.  It is locked and the normal bay door/fuel door key does not turn.  I don't know what the heck it is or if I should care.  The other side of the wall would be in the head area.  Is this normal to not have a key for this door, like only the Winnebago dealers would have one? Maybe it should open with my key and I have a problem? Whats behind the mystery door?

Attachments

• IMG_1941 (Small).JPG
    IMG_1941 (Small).JPG
    24.2 KB · Views: 78
I believe that is for filling the fresh water tank using a hose. I have the same door on my Horizon.

Thanks Manuel, I just found it on the plumbing diagram.  Now I just need to figure out if I want to spend the money for a locksmith to get it open and replace the lock.

Yup - it's the gravity water fill.  I recommend you get a key for it or somehow get it open.  When you need to completely fill your water tank, it is best to open this door up for venting.  If you are completely filling your tank and forget to shut the water off, you stand a good chance of thoroughly soaking your basement compartments with overflow - at least that's what happened twice to me  :-[

Also, one time we needed to completely fill the tank in preparation for dry camping at a national park, and there was no way to hook up a hose to the water inlet in the plumbing bay.  The park's water hose did not have a threaded connector nor was there any way to temporarily replace the hose.

Give Winnie owner relations a call - they might have a record of key numbers, then you could order a key through a dealer.

The need for a locksmith is highly overrated.

The key has a round head, It is "Silver" in color. and if you visit a RV store and ask for a collection of keys to Utility Doors (They look like that door) odds of one fitting are very very very high.. Then have a key cutter duplicate that key and hand it back to the RV store.

I added a door like that for some electrical connections on the service side of my rig.. And proptly lost either it's key or the water door key.. (Frankly I don't know which) not a problem though..... Same key

Your 2004 Vectra is probably keyed similiar to my '04 Chieftain.

I have two accessory keys:
One locks all the compartment doors, gas fill door, and the entry door dead bolt.
The other key locks the entry door and the water fill door.

Good luck,
Bill

Usually there is a key number right on the lock itself. It will surely be one of the near-universal RV keys and a dealer should have some on hand. Shouldn't even need to be a Winnie dealer - the keys are  usually generic.

I agree with Duner... check one of your door keys.  It seems weird but that's the way it is on my 2004 Vectra too.

John:

"Also, one time we needed to completely fill the tank in preparation for dry camping at a national park, and there was no way to hook up a hose to the water inlet in the plumbing bay.  The park's water hose did not have a threaded connector nor was there any way to temporarily replace the hose."

Forgive the thread drift but get a water thief. For three bucks I keep a couple around for the times I have to hook up to a faucet or rubber hose with no threads.

Attachments

• Water Thief.JPG
    Water Thief.JPG
    3.1 KB · Views: 51
Gary - there are no numbers on any of the locks the two small keys fit (at least on my coach.)  Surprised me.

Jeff - I have a water thief, however in the situation I was mentioning the water hose was permanently connected to the water source - maybe a hose clamp - I forgot.  Don't see how the thief would have worked in this case.  Anyway, the gravity fill door does get used once in a while.

I just double checked on mine and the same key opens the main door lock, all of the lower compartments, the gas filler doors, and the fresh water fill door.  The other small key opens the deadbolt on the main door.

Sometimes these keys / locks can be very stubbon, Graphite, WD 40, Silicone, PB blaster any may work to help you get it unlocked...Be careful of your paint. I know that some of these might not be recommended but any port in a storm...Good Luck

To open 'tire' compartmet door on our Sunova we have to push on the door a little.  Latch is REALLY tight and key won't turn 'til pressure relieved.    JM2Cents

maddog348 said:
To open 'tire' compartmet door on our Sunova we have to push on the door a little.  Latch is REALLY tight and key won't turn 'til pressure relieved.     JM2Cents

I have an Itasca Suncruiser compartment door that is like that. Fortunately, placing my knee on the bottom of the door and pushing allows it to easily lock and unlock. This could very well be your problem. I used to think that I had the wrong key in the compartment lock since I have another key on my key ring which I can insert into the lock but it obviously will not work.

Edit: I have a door just like the one you show in your photo and it is for the fresh water gravity fill. You might want to try pushing on you door to unlock it with the same key used for your compartment doors. If that doesn't work take a pocket knife try prying the door open as your try to turn the key. Your door may latch may be hanging up by catching on it's back side instead of it's front side. Just a thought.

Finally fixed!  Got a lock smith to the coach and he couldn't open the lock for a while then finally after a lot of WD40 and prying with his lock picks and a screwdriver got the lock to turn with our compartment key.  Got it all greased up and it now works.

The problem with the lock was water overflowing onto the lock when the tank fill overflows.  The lock was pretty corroded.

He didn't have any blanks to make me more compartment or dead bolt keys.  Another project.

Bill - that's good news, thanks for the follow-up report!

Try giving Winnebago a call with your coach serial number (the last four or six digits of the VIN) and they might be able to give you a key #.  Then you can order it from Lichtsinn.

I have also seen these doors as access to inside fittings/ pipe connections. Tiffin often does this for either plumbing or wiring such as near the washer dryers , refrigerators etc.

Since Winnie usually has a fill switch when hooked up to city water I wonder why have a secondary fill location?

If I read my manuel right, key word is "IF" it say's that anytime you put water in the fresh water tank you must open this door to stop pressure build up, wether you are filling at the water hook up or thru this door either way. So I always open it when filling up. our key is the same for everything else except the dead bolt, and ignition.

maybe it's not that important, but there are warning stickers on the normal or fill valves too.

The way I know my water tank is full is it "over flows".. or I can keep running inside to check the gauge. In either event, there is an opening for air to be released thru the over flow.

tallyo said:
Since Winnie usually has a fill switch when hooked up to city water I wonder why have a secondary fill location?

There will be some campgrounds where you will have a much  easier/simpler time filling the tank by the gravity fill.  We have encountered this at a national park in Alaska - there was no easy way to hook up a hose to the city water connection.

When we're going to fill our tank completely, we always open the fill door ( ::) okay, not always - twice I have had overflow in the basement compartment.)

It is real easy to see the top area of our water tank so I can keep an easy eye on the fill progress when we top it off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidomero
Back
Top Bottom