Nook vs KindleA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The newest Kindle uses the AT&T cellular network rather than Sprint, going from bad to worse :)  It does allow use in other parts of the world which the original models didn't do.

Howard Rawley said:
Wendy - Yes I should have mentioned the Colorado Talking Library too.  In fact a new "tank" just arrived here yesterday as the old one was having trouble driving the tapes.  I'll have to check into the free unabridged digital books ... those are in addition to the tapes correct?

The good news on the "tank" is that they're switching to a digital "mini-tank". I got mine last month (veterans get theirs first). It's about 1/3 the size of the old tank. There's info about the digital books at CTBL - you need to get a password from CTBL. Mike downloads them for me late at night and copies them onto CDs (if allowed). I like the downloadable books better than the tapes because I feel like I'm not taking a tape away from someone else - everyone can download them.

Enjoy
Wendy

Wendy said:
The good news on the "tank" is that they're switching to a digital "mini-tank". I got mine last month (veterans get theirs first). It's about 1/3 the size of the old tank. There's info about the digital books at CTBL -

Enjoy
Wendy

We got the full size "tank" ... but Kelly was happy to see it arrive.  :D

I'll give them a call for a password, the digital book downloads would be good, thanks for mentioning those.  I had heard about the newer streamlined "tanks" coming. 

thanks again,

Howard

Amazon's going to release apps that let PC and Mac owners buy from the Kindle store. I'll wait for that and read on my Mac until Apple comes out with a new reader or a tablet that's close to a reader. Meanwhile, have plenty of unread books lying around.

Howard,

The speech is very clear. Very easy to understand. The only quirk I've noticed, is that there is no pause between chapters.  Which if you were reading you would know, by turning the page.

So far I'm very happy with my Kindle2. I can download books to my laptop, and than to the Kindle. Or directly to the Kindle. You can shop for books from the Kindle.

I store my books I've read on a SD card in my Laptop. And I can reread them as many time as I like.

I have AT&T cell service. And have been without service, but I have always had wispernet on my Kindle.

I do hand sewing and crocheting, and I'm able to do that and read at the same time. Which makes be feel like I've accomplished something. My Kindle2 works very well for me. And reading with the headset on, hubby can still watch TV.

I've taken it walking, biking, and to the pool. But the text to speech draws more battery, so I have to plug it into the wall every couple of days. But one can also read while it's plugged in.

The text to speech was an important feature for me, and I'm very happy with it.

Barb said:
The speech is very clear. Very easy to understand.

So far I'm very happy with my Kindle2.The text to speech was an important feature for me, and I'm very happy with it.

Thanks Barb ... always good to hear first hand from a current user.   :)

Howard

Does the text to speech work with all ebook formats?

I have AZW books of course, but most of mine are PRC (Palm) or MOBI (Mobipocket) files.

Ok, all of you current eReader owners, if you were buying today, which one would you buy? I'm thinking I'm due a very nice Christmas present.

Wendy

I would probably go with the Kindle 2 but would give the Nook a good look in the store first.  I think all the rest are far behind those two.

Does anyone have additional thoughts on Nook vs Kindle?  Like Wendy, thinking about buying something soon.

Also, when going to Amazon.com, I see a Kendle and a Kendle DX listed but not a Kendle 2.  Is the kendle listed a Kendle 2?

Also, when going to Amazon.com, I see a Kendle and a Kendle DX listed but not a Kendle 2.  Is the kendle listed a Kendle 2?
                Yes, I think the Kindle 1 is no longer in production.

Does anyone have additional thoughts on Nook vs Kindle?  Like Wendy, thinking about buying something soon.

I have not seen the Nook but I have a Kindle 2 which I am very happy with (July birthday present).  So far the kindle has provided me with hours of reading.  I was not sure I would enjoy reading from a screen vs. paper but I find I enjoy it more.  :eek:  Also I can carry lots of books in a small space and download more and continue reading.  Not sure if Nook does the same, but many authors allow Amazon to offer their books free.  This is to get you to read them and if you like them then buy more of their books.  Sucked me into some really good authors and I bit and bought more of their books.  ;)  One negative is that a few of the books are poorly duplicated (reproduced) with errors.  In one case it was so bad it took away from the reading enjoyment but did not stop me from reading it.  Do not know if this would be the same with Nook since I do not know how they input the book?

Both reading screens appear similar if not the same so I would base our next purchase on the cost and number of books available, cell carrier coverage area, and if I had access to wifi most of the time.  I also would take a good long look at the Nook as it looks like good too.  The Nook does appear to have more books and the cost/book appears the same.

Bottom line I do not think you will go wrong with either unit.  The only thing is the Nook is so new that all the bugs may not known but neither are the customer WoWs! 

While in a Barnes & Noble store a few days ago, I asked about the Nook, hoping to get a hands-on demo and ask some questions. They told me they don't have them in the store yet, but they can be pre-ordered at their customer service desk. Looks like the same story on their web site.

I was curious about when they'd ship, so I clicked the pre-order button and it says "Your order is expected to ship on December 18th so that it can get to you by December 25th". That's cutting it a bit close for a Christmas gift.

Edit: Just found this in the FAQ on their web site:

"Starting on November 30th, you can visit your local Barnes & Noble store and experience nook. All stores will have a demonstration unit for customers to try."

That Christmas gift still appears elusive.

I did order the Nook for my wife.  The main reason we chose the Nook over the Kindle is that our daughter had also ordered the Nook and the Nook's ability to lend books to each other.  Hope it was the right decision for us.  As Tom said,ours is supposed to ship by December 18th?

Not quite a Kindle or Nook but I bought a discounted HP Mini netbbook this weekend and just loaded Kindle's PC software on it.

It really is easy to read on, just flip arrows to turn pages(or use mouse). We are headed to Honolulu for Christmas and I plan to load a couple of books and DVD's for entertainment on the plane.

WSJ today says the current readers may be obsolete soon. I'm waiting for the new Mac tablet. Meanwhile, I enjoy the Kindle app on my iPhone. The only problem is that it's hard to look back in the book to re-read sections. That's easier with a paper book. So I just bought another book at Costco for $15.

Oldedit said:
WSJ today says the current readers may be obsolete soon. I'm waiting for the new Mac tablet. Meanwhile, I enjoy the Kindle app on my iPhone. The only problem is that it's hard to look back in the book to re-read sections. That's easier with a paper book. So I just bought another book at Costco for $15.

Well, most anything technological nowadays is obsolete almost before it hits the shelf!  That seems to be the nature of the beast.

I also have the Kindle App on my iPhone, and it actually does work pretty well.  I don't have a Kindle, so I don't know how the synchronization works, but you can actually read very comfortably on the iPhone screen.  I'm still undecided what I want to get, or if I'll get it for Christmas.  I do like the idea of the online books though.

Last week bot the small Kindle for my father. He needs the large type capability and the 3G access because he's too cheap to buy DSL and wifi. Subscribed to USA Today. Took awhile to find our way around the system. It's not like reading the paper or like reading USA Today for free on the Web, which I prefer.

Being old and stubborn, Dad seems a bit reluctant to use the Kindle, but he wouldn't let me return it. He's been using computers since the 60s and was an early adopter of PCs back in the late 70s. Anyway, I think it is great for people who have vision problems.

Back
Top Bottom