Manufacturer offers 5th wheel or gooseneck...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forest River / Work n' Play 38ft offers it in either fifth wheel or goose neck hitch....?  I like the idea of just having the ball in the bed (foldaway also) Pros & cons...?  Thanks

First, what I would consider the pros:
1. Very little in the bed of your pickup; just a ball and if you get the flip down; or B&W turnover ball, you can convert your pickup bed into a flat pickup bed in 2 minutes.
2. With a gooseneck ball you can tow many other types of trailers, giving yourself more flexibility.
3. With a gooseneck ball you only need to line up and get the ball under the trailer; with a little flexibility; and you don't have to worry about the exact height of the trailer, you just need to make sure it's high enough. With a fifth wheel plate you need to line up and have the height fairly close.
4. Most gooseneck balls have a higher tow rating; not that you pickup can handle that much, but knowing your hitch ball is far overrated for the trailer you are towing adds some insurance against failure.

Now the cons:
1. If you get the trailer with the gooseneck configuration I believe you would be limiting your resale market.
2. With a fifth wheel plate you can tow other 5th wheels. (Friends in need)
3. If you ever trade and chose a trailer that only comes in a 5th wheel configuration, you will have to buy a whole new set up.

So I guess it comes down to what you think you will do in the future. The B&W configuration would give you both options. You get the gooseneck ball installed and then purchase the 5th wheel adapter. It's a little more work to put the fifth wheel plate in, but not so cumbersome that it's a problem. I personally prefer the B&W because it gives me the best of both setups and if you compare the 5th wheel plate to others you will see the B&W is much more stout. That's not to say other plates are good or plenty strong; and most all plates remove easily leaving you only with two rails in the bed of the pickup.

Hope this helps; I'm sure others in this forum will be able to offer many different opinions, and that's what I like about this forum. There is a vast amount of knowledge which most are willing to share, and then you can make up you own mind.
Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom