Ok guys need help removing seat belt bolts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

I have removed the dinette seats, table and everything, was real simple, kept all the parts in case we will reuse the materials. In fact we may just turn the framing against the wall and use the same seat to make a couch as the water heater or furnace is under the seat and it needs ventilation.  Haven't looked to see what it is yet but its gas so one of those. Also good deal as I"m tearing carpet out and putting laminate in so this will make it nicer.  I LOVE it with that out, took up a lot of room and those things are uncomfortable to us.  We may just put chairs in there.  Next I'm pulling the chair out, just 4 nuts to remove to take it out then I have a nice clean sweep to pull carpet out of and lay laminate.

However, I have a problem and since this is hubbies bedtime in the middle east can't ask him. He is my knowledge source of how to do everything!  I removed the bolts on the topside and pulled the seat belt off, but I now have the bolt sticking up through the floor.  My tenant went underneath with a creeper and tried to locate the bottom but its all under foam and stuff, undercoating I'm sure and I didn't want him to scrape it off.  So what are my options.  I did a search and someone said they just unscrewed them but do the bolts unscrew from the top?  I would think they are bolted to the frame?  How can I get these out short of cutting them out, must be an easier way?? I don't want to cut them off and find they have fallen into something and messed it up.  So guys I need your expertise and I'm asking.

I meant I removed the nuts from the bolts.  Does this forum have an edit function?

Do you have the head of the bolt sticking up? If just threads, pound it down with a hammer. Without knowing what type rv you have its kinda impossible to give you the best way to remove them. More info, please

It's a 1991 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite on an E350 Econoline chassis.

I tried pounding them but they didn't move, unless I need to whack them harder.  Didn't want to ruin the threads so put the nut on, probably not good either. 

Attachments

• Orlando Vacation 085.JPG
    Orlando Vacation 085.JPG
    158.8 KB · Views: 24
I've done a lot of reading about this on the net.  Perhaps there is a plate behind my bolt holding it, appears some motorhomes have one, if so may have to be cut out.  I can say one thing, the whole seating arrangement was in there to stay.  I have a ton of screws I took out, it was in there good and solid.

Sorry I can't help with the bolt problem, but as to your question about an edit function, the author, and most/all staff can edit the post.  You can fix it up to 24 hours after posting by hitting the modify icon and saving (just as I did here),  I know as I've had to fix typos due to my fat fingers causing poor typing.

I have a 90 Southwind and I just went through a similar problem.  I removed the couch and was left with six seat belt bolts sticking up through the floor.  They could not be removed from below (I couldn't see the heads) and when I tried to hammer them down I was met with great resistance as if the bolts were mounted in some sort of plate or had a plate below them that kept them from moving.  I wound up grinding off the bolts flush with the plywood floor before installing the laminate.  Works fine.

Steve

Thanks guys. Yes I actually have more but I'm thinking those bolts will be hidden by the bottom of the unit and not need to come out.  Actually I was surprised to see seat belts under there.  Ok, I just have to ask hubby where his cut off tools are. 

I just bought the laminate.  I got the kind that looks like ceramic tile.  I put it in my entryway and its really nice and durable though for this I got the new light color.  I just got the cushion which will act as a vapor barrier anyway, doesn't seem like I need a vapor barrior where it doesn't touch the concrete if anyone thinks otherwise let me know. I put it in almost our whole house.  Never again will I do a 30 X 30 room, like to killed myself.  As you know as it gets put in and you sometime have to lift the flooring more, well that was heavy.  But if I say so myself it looks good.  I love doing stuff like that.  Heck, I put new 6 panel interior doors all over in our house.  Hubby says I buy him new tools so I can use them. :D, not me! I've learned so much from hubby, he and I built a new house together once and have remodeled many.  He wants to do that after he retires, I told him have to see how I'm feeling and doing at age 66 or so, may not be able to, but we sure enjoy it.

Ok, back out to cut out more carpet, had to go buy new blades.

I have been looking at folks remodels on the net.  I had intended to put the laminate on the step too, but after looking at several I see they have put like a rubber mat type of tread material down, I think that is much safer.  Then they just put the laminate on the sides of the step.  That will work.

Well, I have help if I want it.  The neighbor guy next door is going to help me when he can.  He works but is needing extra money so I told him he can come and work the next couple of weeks when he can, but I will continue onward.

I have another guy that he and I spent about 5 months redoing a rent house and he is going to work on one of my old Silvers for me and live in it in lieu of rent for awhile.  He can do anything and has been a huge help to me with hubby away.  A lot of these guys are having a really hard time right now finding work so it helps us and them too.

Ok, back to work.  Thanks guys for the advice, sounds good.

That "vapor barrier" is mostly to keep the sound of footsteps walking on a floating floor.

Ok, I'm just putting the cushion stuff under it, apparently this one doesn't come with the attached foam type stuff.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom