1st part of remodeling motorhome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Had quite a hard rain with wind this morning.  I went out and checked for leaks.  No water in the bedroom, good and dry on the passenger side area by the floor and all around.  Checked the cabover window and no moisture there either, so that looks good.  Also nothing in floor area where I took a small area of rotten wood out and the old paneling by the living room long window.  All that is good and dry.  However, on the right side of the step I noticed moisture, not soaked like it was before and running water but still water from somewhere.  I'm thinking its from the door gasket that is loose at the top but don't know.  I will put more caulk in behind the awning bracket, not sure I got enough as its very hard to get in under that one little area. Also will check around the door and see if it needs resealed.

Nothing happening with the motorhome right now.  We have gotten all wrapped up in building out a bathroom for our daughter, new walkin closet for me, and half bath in the garage.  Hubby is doing the rest of the wiring and plumbing.  Carpenter has everything drywalled except end of tub where shower and drain pipes are.  1 or 2 coats of spackle on everything.  Tile guy coming to look tomorrow and give estimate for the tile walls in her bathroom.

I have started to go out and work on the floor in the motorhome to finish the laminate and everytime I do something else to do on this so kind of sidelined for now.  It's sure messy trying to remodel while we are living there, about to work me to death trying to at least keep the house liveable.

Next week we are off to Indiana to MIL's for turkey day and carpenter gone too, so nothing happening then.  Hubby has also had a death in the family and jury duty of all things, again! :'( I want to get it done but the poor man only has 2 hands.

Everyone have a wonderful Thanksgiving and holiday.  It's that time of year again for cheer!!

I'll have to say that this is one of the most interesting series on RV Forum.  Thanks for taking time to write it up as you go...and the photos!  You two are full of energy and great to see such a family affair.  And to think, I was beginning to think that I should slow down some on my remodel of the flooring in mine!  Keep the good work up ....and keep the post going.  ;D

My husband Tom, got the 2 little pieces of flooring replaced today.  We didn't have much rot but still fixed it. He used self tapping stainless screws to screw into the metal crossmembers to secure the flooring.

The front cabover is fine as is the place in the corner, but the step still got some moisture.  We are going to put a new seal around the door, I really think its coming down there and we still have the place in the back, less moisture but still some, we are leaving the paneling off till we can leak test it with a hose.  One of us outside and the other inside and see if we can tell where its coming from.  I agree that I need to seal much better at the rear awning bracket.  He is going to put the drivers side bed back in tomorrow and put new screws in the back and refasten it.  Or that is the plan, shall see tomorrow.

Attachments

• Progress 001.JPG
    Progress 001.JPG
    157.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Progress 002.JPG
    Progress 002.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 84
Sounds like you guys are on the same page, doesn't it

He is working on the corner today.  He ordered some sheet aluminum and remade the little corner piece we could not find.  Then he is also going to fabricate a new storage door for the side of it that was pretty messed up.  We couldn't find replacements.  He said he will have to oxidize them a bit to get them to take and hold paint.  Think I got all this right.

Attachments

• Fixing corner 001.JPG
    Fixing corner 001.JPG
    166.9 KB · Views: 62
  • Fixing corner 002.JPG
    Fixing corner 002.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 66
  • Fixing corner 003.JPG
    Fixing corner 003.JPG
    157.8 KB · Views: 63
He was able to straighten and reuse the plastic corner.

Closeup of corner piece.

Attachments

• Corner 001.JPG
    Corner 001.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 57
He put the bumper on to see how it fits together.  There is still painting and stuff to do but wanted to see if it fit.

We are leaving for Indiana this morning so that's it for now.

Attachments

• Together 001.JPG
    Together 001.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Together 002.JPG
    Together 002.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 55
Picture of before and after repair.  Still has side panel to do though.

Attachments

• Picture of RV repair needed 001.JPG
    Picture of RV repair needed 001.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Picture of RV repair needed 002.JPG
    Picture of RV repair needed 002.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Picture of RV repair needed 003.JPG
    Picture of RV repair needed 003.JPG
    70.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Together 001.JPG
    Together 001.JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 68
Sue Ann this has been a great series and I thank you for taking the time to put it up for all of us to enjoy. I don't even have an RV (of any type or style) but still found it very interesting to see what had to be done and then see the excellent job that you did.

Hope things go well for you and the family for Turkey Day.

Remodel has slowed down for awhile.  We had a great Thanksgiving, to Indiana and back.  Saw our few relatives and some friends, had many a smile and good laughs, and lots of great food.  Never enough time to get around.

On the way back check engine light on our 2001 truck came on, thankfully ran fine, so today Tom put in a new thermostat and flushed the radiator.  Our tenant has a check engine monitor that gives the code and he looked it up on the net and fixed it.  He also has to either have the rotors turned for the brakes or new ones, said probably past time to change the brake fluid, so off my remodel for a day or so.  Then maybe to work downtown for awhile, we don't know yet.  Shouldn't say it but the older truck to us is more comfortable on trips then the newer one, so we tend to drive it more.

I think its going to rain a lot tonight and tomorrow.  Tom had recaulked the brackets for the awning, I didn't realize he did, he said on the back one I didn't get the voids filled.  I didn't think I did, had picked up a tube of clear and couldn't see what was filled and what wasn't.  Now we will see if that fixes the problem.  Crossing my fingers here. Hope to start back on my flooring and finish it.  He doesn't want to put the other parts together till we see if we got the 2 leaks fixed, makes sense to me. Hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving.

Attachments

• Turkey 003.JPG
    Turkey 003.JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 81
Checked after the rain last night and all appears to be dry in the 2 areas inside, so think he and I got it.  Hubby said maybe he needs to move it and let it set differently to see for sure. Think its supposed to rain all day but doesn't appear to be heavy.

PatrioticStabilist said:
Remodel has slowed down for awhile.  We had a great Thanksgiving, to Indiana and back.  Saw our few relatives and some friends, had many a smile and good laughs, and lots of great food.  Never enough time to get around.

On the way back check engine light on our 2001 truck came on, thankfully ran fine, so today Tom put in a new thermostat and flushed the radiator.  Our tenant has a check engine monitor that gives the code and he looked it up on the net and fixed it.  He also has to either have the rotors turned for the brakes or new ones, said probably past time to change the brake fluid, so off my remodel for a day or so.  Then maybe to work downtown for awhile, we don't know yet.  Shouldn't say it but the older truck to us is more comfortable on trips then the newer one, so we tend to drive it more.

I think its going to rain a lot tonight and tomorrow.  Tom had recaulked the brackets for the awning, I didn't realize he did, he said on the back one I didn't get the voids filled.  I didn't think I did, had picked up a tube of clear and couldn't see what was filled and what wasn't.  Now we will see if that fixes the problem.   Crossing my fingers here. Hope to start back on my flooring and finish it.  He doesn't want to put the other parts together till we see if we got the 2 leaks fixed, makes sense to me. Hope all of you had a great Thanksgiving.

Our son did the deep fry turkey last year.  He was anxious to try it and I'll have to say that it turned out pretty good.  Glad to hear you didn't have a major problem with the check engine light. 

I can relate to going out in the RV and checking for damp spots!  Did that about a hundred times and still feel a twist in my stomach when it rains, even though I haven't found a damp spot around the areas I 'fixed'.  :)

Hubby had me go move it to see if different directions will make it leak or not. It's rainy here north of Houston and in the next few nights its to be in the 30's and one night in the 20's, brrr.  We just hate to button everything up to see it wet again later.

We got some white paneling for the area below the seam in the back at the end. Then we need to get a piece of trim to make them match, not much of it will show with the mattresses in and pillows, and the nightstand in the middle back.  Then we bought inexpensive carpet, some of the low loop indoor outdoor stuff to put under the beds before putting them back.  Like he said will give a cushion so stuff under there doesn't rattle and bang around. 

Of course this gave hubby an excuse for MORE tools! :eek:

He just had to have the new little air compressor with an air stapler and 2 brad nailers, I said Merry Christmas!  He said a compressor for your garage and one for my new garage!  His and her air compressors, are we funny or what? Then he says well I got another little tool.  A battery operated jigsaw, he said you will use that too, yes I will.

Hope to do some work on it tomorrow, maybe, but soon as it dries up some for sure.  It usually doesn't stay cold here for long.

It is really raining. Hubby had me moved the motorhome earlier all was dry, well this time not so.  No leak on the cabover, its good and dry.  But seems to be water either coming in the front long window by the door or down the left side of the window.  Also in the back area.  Both are not a 1/4 of what they were but still there, drat. 

I resealed everything on the roof with eternabond except around the antenna.  It won't crank up and hubby needs to fix it so I didn't. But now who knows if its that or not, wish I had.

So a step back, we don't want to close anything up till these are stopped. 

One positive, the furnace runs and cycles off and on.  Initially it didn't but he plugged some wires up he had apart to remove the items in the bedroom, I assume that is why.  We cranked it up today, first couple of times it came on heard a squeek, hubby said a little oil will likely fix that.  Didn't hear it last time, probably years since its been used.  It's nice and toasty out there and the floor registers all have heat coming out. Think I will put the piece of paneling in under the cabover window and complete that.

That's another item that works but we are going to clean and vacuum what we can out.

But still got to find the 2 pesky leaks, we still think it is from the railing on the awning.

Nothing much happening with the motorhome right now.  Tom checked out the generator today, said initially it turned off when the truck did.  I'm not sure what he adjusted but he said it works now.  He said he is not sure how reliable it will be but its working. 1600 hours is quite a few hours.  But one more thing checked and working.

We are devoting time to the  house remodel right now, hope to get most of it out of the way the next 2 weeks.  More projects later in the house but  back to the motorhome remodel in the short term.

You are my hero. I am going to start the first of my RV projects and have been impressed by your intrepid spirit. Thanks for the posts and photos.

Back
Top Bottom