Which netbook (notebook)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boaterkathy

I will start by saying that I am not very technically inclined. :-[      So most computer terms  are lost on me.

That said,  I would like to get a very small computer that is easy to take along, and one that I can get a plug in through a phone company to have service most places.
We are thinking about canceling our home internet service, because we are not there over half the year anyway.  I currently have a heavy laptop that is probably 5 years old, but I would still like the option to use that if I want(hence the plug that I can switch between the two computers).  Am I making sense? ::)
I could get a 10.1 inch Gateway through Verizon for about $150 if I sign up for a two year agreement, but that would have the card built in, so I could not switch back and forth between computers.  I don't think I would want that small of a computer for my only one.  I have also looked at one that was 11+ inches which seemed pretty nice.  That was an Acer that was at Wal-Mart for $299.  I really don't want to spend any more than $400.
Any suggestions on models or advice??      I would really appreciate some help!!!!!!

I got an 15" Acer, Cannon printer and Targus carry case for the computer for $400 at Best Buy a while back.  It is not a screamer and a little light on hard drive, 160gbit but for a non computer geek and I'm not into movies etc., it is good enough for me.  It has a built in WIFI and telephone modem so I am good there.  It included a free upgrade to Windows 7 Home premium so will have the latest OS.  I am still learning it so am not sure of all the capabilities.  It has great sound for listening to music, I'm an old man and can't hear highs anyway and it is supposed to be HD compatible, whatever that means!

It is better on the eyes than my ViewSonic LCD on my desktop computer.

Shop around and you should find something that works.  Now I still need a small computer for the MH driving and mapping displays

Check out Verizon netbooks with built in modem here. Very small, very cheap and you don't have to plug in.

seilerbird said:
Check out Verizon netbooks with built in modem here. Very small, very cheap and you don't have to plug in.

I think he was saying that would be too small. But I own one of those NR1151NR's (two year contract and all) and it does the job fine. But I find that I don't use it all that often, but it's nice to have when it's needed. It's worked for me in every area I have wanted to use it (so far). But I kinda wish it didn't work in Canada after I saw the bill for just a few minutes of usage. ;D

-Don- SSF, CA​

There are a lot of decent notebook computers for $400 or less.  I'm partial to Toshiba, but there are other brands in that class as well.  Unless you have a dialup account with a national ISP, not too many of those left these days, you won't need a dialup modem.  More likely, you'll connect using campground WiFi connections, or if not at a campground, use the same services from coffee shops, Barnes & Noble, etc.  The Verizon netbooks, while nice, require you sign up for a 2 year commitment to a data plan at $50/month.

For occasional use, the netbooks are acceptable, but the small display is a drawback for extended use.  I have a MSI Wind netbook that I like, but I couldn't use it all the time.

Ned said:
 The Verizon netbooks, while nice, require you sign up for a 2 year commitment to a data plan at $50/month.

$60.00, (to be exact, $60.07) unless they just lowered their price.  I see they lowered the price of the netbook computer that cost me $200.00 with the sales tax as if  $600.00, which is based on MSRP and not the sale price.

-Don- SSF, CA​

I researched and researched and researched and looked and looked and looked and ended up with the Asus Eee Pc 1000HE. Has built-in blue tooth, wifi N card, built-in camera and mike and Windows XP. Can upgrade very easily from 1mb to 2 mb memory which you can do yourself (I did) and NOT void the warranty. Has 160gb hard drive. Also has free on-line storage. Small screen (10.1 inches) but it is light and the battery will power the unit for 8+ hours. If you research on-line and also chk Ebay, you can find a good deal.

I too got one of the ASUS Eee  netbooks PCs with XP, 1gig of memory and 80 gig drive.  It comes with a digital camera chip slot, bluetooth, camera, WIFI N, microphone, speakers, several usb ports, vga port and a long life battery... 6-7 hours, about 2 pounds.  I've taken it everywhere, motorcycle trips, plane trips, RV trips, car trips, ski trips, etc etc and it is just perfect for what I need.  Skype worked great in Mexico to stay in touch with friends/relatives in US, JPN, and Dubai.

It's not for movies (except for netflix over the internet) or computing power but for travel/ruggedness it is hard to beat.  I paid $400 but they are now much less.  Dell has one for $300 with more storage.

I guess it depends mostly on what you are going to do with it.  A larger screen would be nice but then it wouldn't fit on my motorcycle as easily.

good luck... I don't see a big rush to get win7 but that would be nice I hear.  when I get home it networks with the other computers easily.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! 
Actually, an ASUS is one I was seriously considering.  Best Buy has one with an 11.6 inch widescreen, with (I think) the features that were mentioned above for $349.  I thought since it was a little bit larger than the really tiny one that it might still be very portable, but yet slightly easier to read the screen.  I will probably make a trip to Best Buy in the next couple days to take a closer look. 
I have been doing lots of looking online, but it is a little overwhelming when I don't really know what to look for. ::)  I just don't want to make a bad purchase!

Thanks for the info. Iam also looking toward netbook/notebook -- BUT  -- Use laptop for GPS -Garmin/DeLorme 'hockey puck type (I am navigator not driver) and they do not have CD slot to down load program. Young feller at BestBuy said I would have to use/buy an external CD drive to use it. Any input.  Seems to defeat the puopose to 'downsizing'.  Thanks again,  Kate

You can install Microsoft Streets (which is what I use) or Garmin on your hard drive, so you don't need the CD to run it.  Do this and you only need the external CD drive when you first install the program, then you can put it in storage along with the installation CD and use just the computer by itself.

I like the little netbooks, but I have fairly large hands and it's hard to touch-type on their tiny keyboards.  What I did was buy an Asus EEEPC on close out for less than $200.  It came with Windows XP (they also sell a Linux version), a whopping 16 GB solid state hard drive (no moving parts), bluetooth and wifi, a web cam, 3 USB ports, an Ethernet port and a SD card slot.

I loaded the same email program on the Asus and my main computer and set both of them to store their files on the SD card.  Then I just swap the card back and forth depending on which computer I'm using.  This way I can take the little Asus with me when I travel or use my main computer while keeping the email synchronized between both computers.

maddog348 said:
Thanks for the info. Iam also looking toward netbook/notebook -- BUT  -- Use laptop for GPS -Garmin/DeLorme 'hockey puck type (I am navigator not driver) and they do not have CD slot to down load program. Young feller at BestBuy said I would have to use/buy an external CD drive to use it. Any input.  Seems to defeat the puopose to 'downsizing'.  Thanks again,  Kate

Not really. You don't need a CD drive (but I have one anyway, for my EEE PC netbook computer) if you have another computer.

You can put entire CD's or even DVD's on USB drives these days and bring them, when you otherwise need to bring a CD along.

On my little older EEEPC netbook computer, which has the small solid state hard drive, I use Delorme TOPO USA 8.0 (a big program on DVD) installed to a little SD card. It works quite well from this very slow computer. Surprisingly well. Much faster than I expected to do things such as zoom in and out.

First copy (not install) the entire CD to a SD card or USB drive on a desktop computer. Then use that SD card or USB card to install (not copy) the program on your netbook computer or to another SD card or USB drive.

-Don- SSF, CA​

A flash drive is one way, another is to use the DVD drive on another computer if you are networked.  Share the DVD drive and access it from the netbook to install the software.

Don  -- ThankYou - may consider trying that as have all my mapping programs on desktop as well as laptop. Using Topo USA 8 and StreetAtlas 2009. Now have to decide on a critter. ;D ;D Just love new toys. :) :)

maddog348 said:

You can use the CD/DVD drive on another computer for the netbook if you connect the two computers...using the ethernet cable.

maddog348 said:

I use my Asus for GPS nav (bigger than the portable GPS but way smaller and lighter than a laptop). Both MS&T and Copilot. Fortunately., I have a portable DVD but some programs can be downloaded online. If you want small, light and long life batery, you have to make tradeoffs but a USB DVD can be bought pretty cheap or you can borrow one. Or you can use a desktop to move the programs to a flash or thumb drive and then install. Al kinds of options.

I'm a few days late to this discussion, but back in February, I bought an MSI Wind U100 (with a 10" screen and Windows XP).  I have been EXTREMELY happy with it.  I have a website, and until recently published my church's weekly newsletter.  I also write a weekly newspaper column, so as you can see I keep pretty it going quite a bit!  I had a good many people tell me it wouldn't do everything I wanted it to do, but I have had no problem with anything I've thrown at it.

I tried a good many netbooks and read many reviews before going with the MSI.  They have several nice new models out, but I think the original is still the best.

Having come from an Acer Aspire 15" full-size laptop that died just shy of 2 years old, I can tell you the build quality of this MSI so far is MUCH better.  By the time the Acer was the same age as my Wind is now, the silver finish around the keyboard was largely gone, and the touchpad had conked out.  This one still has all of its equipment fully operational and is a breeze to pack around.

I also get between 3 and 5 hours of battery life, depending on what I'm doing.

The best part -- it was about half the price the Acer was three years ago.  And now they are even cheaper!

Greetings, gang!

I'll be going back on the road again soon.  YAAAAAAAAY!

I, too, have been looking at netbooks and laptops.  My 4 year old Dell PC just sucks too much power when I'm on solar, which is 98% of the time.  It looks like I could get something quite serviceable for under $500.  I basically surf the 'net and do e-mail via my Hughes dish.  I also use TOPO 8 a lot and Google earth. (I *finally* broke down and got a DeLorme PN-40 GPS for hiking.  I love it and am learning lots with it!)

With my OOOLLLLLD Toshiba laptop (screaming 233mhz processor!) I just plugged in a regular size keyboard and mouse.  The drawback to the smaller netbook is screen size and keyboard size.  Could my 15" flat screen (from my current PC), old HP 722c printer, HP 4100C, keyboard and Logitech thumbball mouse  hook into one of these newfangled netbooks?  They are either serial or USB. 

I don't have much money so I can't afford to go wireless on all this stuff - especially since it all still works great!

TIA,

"I *finally* broke down and got a DeLorme PN-40 GPS for hiking.  I love it and am learning lots with it!)"

I own a PN-40SE and it's the best hiking unit by far (when it works!) and Topo 8 is the best map program for hiking. However, my PN40SE  crapped out after the first use in the field (just two weeks ago) just after the latest  firmware update and was shipped back to Delorme (under warranty) today. At first, mine would not shut off, but would make a lot of noises when there was an attempt to shut down. Later, it would not turn on with fresh new batteries or even when connected direct to the computer. Also, sometimes it would turn on but would not receive any satellites under a clear open sky.  It worked well until I updated the firmware to the latest version, and then became flaky and unusable.

When I did the updates, it seemed to go smooth otherwise.

BTW, I always bring two GPS units when I go hiking. I own several. I also took my Garmin 60 CS on my last trip.

BTW, I use my EEEPC netbook on top of a Jotto Desk with Topo 8 installed onto a SD card. I keep the topo lines off when RVing. I can also use old MapSource R & R direct from the solid state hard drive.

-Don- SSF, CA​

ZuniJayne said:
Greetings, gang!

I'll be going back on the road again soon.  YAAAAAAAAY!

I, too, have been looking at netbooks and laptops.  My 4 year old Dell PC just sucks too much power when I'm on solar, which is 98% of the time.  It looks like I could get something quite serviceable for under $500.  I basically surf the 'net and do e-mail via my Hughes dish.  I also use TOPO 8 a lot and Google earth. (I *finally* broke down and got a DeLorme PN-40 GPS for hiking.  I love it and am learning lots with it!)

With my OOOLLLLLD Toshiba laptop (screaming 233mhz processor!) I just plugged in a regular size keyboard and mouse.  The drawback to the smaller netbook is screen size and keyboard size.  Could my 15" flat screen (from my current PC), old HP 722c printer, HP 4100C, keyboard and Logitech thumbball mouse  hook into one of these newfangled netbooks?  They are either serial or USB. 

I don't have much money so I can't afford to go wireless on all this stuff - especially since it all still works great!

TIA,

I've yet to find a netbook that didn't have a VGA connector, so yeah, you should be able to use your present flat screen.  I've connected mine to our 32" LCD TV for watching online TV shows; it's basically the same principle.  Some even have S-video outputs (my MSI Wind does not) which makes that sort of thing even easier.

Most netbooks still come with Windows XP, so driver compatibility with your existing equipment should be no problem at all, at least for the USB stuff.  Serial ports aren't offered on netbooks.

You will be surprised how easy it is to get used to the smaller screen and keyboard.  I had absolutely no problem adjusting, and if anyone would, it'd be me!

Back
Top Bottom