CALAMITY STRIKES!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gary and Nancy,

You're very fortunate.  You have dodged two big time bullets this year.  It sounds like the Framily is providing you the support you need.  We'll be thinking of you two while you're getting your coach repaired and getting back to normal.

Good luck and feel blessed.

Gary,

Once we return to Florida we'll deliver your meat. I will be sure to bring the truck so we can have a couple of cold ones before Pat drives back. ;D ;D We sure were glad we could see you on our way north. You and Nancy mean a lot to us as you do to the rest of our Framily. All the way to VA I kept thinking about what I would have done in your situation. I know there's nothing I could do that you didn't.

Thanks for the info on the slack adjusters. I know they need lubrication but not too much. I'll be sure to have mine checked at the next service interval.

Wow! 

It's been a tuff year for you guys ... very glad to hear there were no serious injuries ... the sheet metal can always be repaired/replaced.

Sure can happen quick!  Sounds like you did well under the circumstances Gary.

Again glad to hear you guys (and the cat) are ok.

Howard & Kelly

Gary and Nancy:

Haven't read the forum for a while as we've had family visiting and were busy.  So sorry to hear about your accident, but we are so very grateful you are both uninjured, just shaken up a bit.  We sure hope this will all be resolved quickly for you and that you can get on with the rest of your lives.  This has just about made you hit bottom for this year, so there's no place else to go but up.  May future days be much, much brighter.  We both wish you the best.

Daisy and Fred.

Gary: Glad you are both OK. My wife and I offer our prayers and best wishes that you recover quickly and as painless as possible from your latest misfortune.
Warmest regards, Terry and Maricar, Whitehall, MT.
On a brighter note I guess the "tiny bubbles" caused by the bra are less noticeable.

WoW!  Mary Ann and I have been at a lake house with our son and his family since Thursday and had no internet access and no cell phone service so this was a complete surprise.

We are so glad to hear that you escaped unharmed. So sorry that we were not home as we live about 45 minutes from Kenley and would loved to be able to help you both out.

You'll both be in our prayers (again!) for a quick recovery!

Maybe we'll see you at the Spring SE Rally!

Be well.  Stay safe.

Don and Mary Ann

Gary, Nancy & Blackie,

So glad you and all the rest were unhurt. I don't know of anything you could have done that would have made a difference in the split seconds you had. As for the cause, I agree the treadle pedel coming loose makes the most sense and would account for the brakes not working. Also the other post from your brake mechanic is right, most brake systems don't get the slack adjusters tightnd up and after a while they just don't do the job. Doing a good brake check will find that problem but don't think anything you would normally do would have stopped the pedel problem. In over 25 years of driving busses I have never had a total failure like you had. Not sure if that makes you lucky or me (or both of us)

We will keep you all in our thoughts and pray you get over the shock and trauma in a short time. Hope also all goes well & smooth with the coach repair

Jerry & Arlyne Ray 

Just caught this.  Been home but busy.  Sorry to hear what happened of course, but very glad you guys are OK. 

I'll keep an eye on this.

The coach was towed to Mike's Collision Center in Wilmington, NC today. The first tiny step on the road to recovery.

Nancy & I are at friends Dale & Pat Baker's vacation  home near Walterboro, NC, getting some badly needed decompression time. Will head home in another day or so.

You saying "Will head home..." makes me happier with our decision to keep the stick house. It's always nice to have someplace to "head home" to.

Any idea from "Mike's" on repairability?

Snow headed our way......see, it could be worse !!

Wendy

RV Roamer said:
I've been talking with another American Coach owner who has a truck fleet and is thoroughly knowledgeable about air brake systems. He says the only way to get my symptoms is for the brake pedal assembly to come loose from its mount on the firewall or the pivot pin on the pedal to fail. In either case, the pedal no longer acts as a lever and does not open the Treadle (air) valve or activate the switch that shuts off the cruise control and activates the engine brake.  My brake pedal is down flat on the floor and seems loose from its mount, but that area was pushed in during the accident and I have no way to tell if that is accident damage or the cause of the problem in the first place. My gut says that was the problem, though, cause everything else fits.

I also have the Freightliner adjustable pedal system, which makes the pedal mechanism more complex and probably adds another possible point of failure. Something could have broken there as well. I may never know just what it was unless a clever mechanic can distinguish pre vs post accident condition...
If you have broken pins, a metallurgist can tell you whether they failed suddenly during the crash or if they failed over time due to fatigue.  I'd be glad to do it, but, due to the litiguous society we live in, it would be best if your insurance company handled it...

WOW Gary I don't know how I missed this earlier, but I'm sorry to hear about your accident. I'm happy to hear that not only you and your wife, but also the people driving the other cars were also un-injured. That's AWESOME !!

I hope everything goes well with the repair and that you can get back on the road soon.

Back
Top Bottom