CALAMITY STRIKES!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Godward said:
Wendy,

PE = Licensed Professional Engineer

Okay then, I was wondering how it so happened that all the guys on this forum were so into Physical Education.  Never knew so many gym teachers drove RV's!  ;)  ;D

Gary - here's wishing you all the best in getting this handled as painlessly as possible.  With a vehicle that size sailing down the road with no brakes... wow, it is only by the grace of God that someone was not seriously injured or killed.  A good outcome, all things considered.  Hang in there, and boy will you have a campfire story to tell when all of this is over!

I'm just reading this myself and I to am very sorry that you had to go through that terror but am so glad that you are all okay and safe and sound. 

Thanks, everybody. We had a couple days to decompress at a good friends place in southern SC and the shakes have largely passed.  Can't say the worries are over, though.

Gary:

Everyone at the Rally tonight sends their best wishes to you both and sure do miss you both.

Hope the sun is back out soon. ;D ;D

Any new news on the repair??  I'm wondering if a front "clip" is available (after pulling the frame pieces and straightening) or will the remnents have to be used and repaired.??>>>Dan

So sorry to hear about the accident but we're glad to hear that all are okay.  Although we're in Chattanooga, please feel free to let us know if there's anything we can do to help.  Hope you're back on the road again and all goes smoothly in getting things in order. Mike & Cindy

RV Roamer said:
Thanks, everybody. We had a couple days to decompress at a good friends place in southern SC and the shakes have largely passed.  Can't say the worries are over, though.

Gary,

There's nothing like forum Framily to help in these kinds of situations. Glad you are home and able to decompress a little. Looking forward to seeing you soon. We should be back by 10 November and will give you a call.

The front end fiberglass panels are destroyed. New ones will have to be made to order from the original molds. Fortunately when AMG bought Fleetwood out of bankruptcy, they also bought Gold Bond, the Fleetwood subsidiary that has the molds and does the fabrication of the molded fiberglass panels. The price for it will likely be staggering, though. Also have to get all new light assemblies, both headlight and fog/parking lamps. I've heard they are from some model of Cadillac, so hopefully will be available from GM.

I talked with the insurance claims people yesterday and the preliminary report is that damages will "easily exceed $50,000". Will be awhile before I get a final figure, though.

That does seem "staggering" Gary. Hopefully, the insurance company will pick up most of that huge repair cost.

Gary,

Not sure about your coach but my headlights are definitely from Cadillac. I was surprised when I saw the emblem on the assembly. Also found out recently that the unit includes the turning lights to illuminate the side!

RV Roamer said:
The front end fiberglass panels are destroyed. New ones will have to be made to order from the original molds. Fortunately when AMG bought Fleetwood out of bankruptcy, they also bought Gold Bond, the Fleetwood subsidiary that has the molds and does the fabrication of the molded fiberglass panels. The price for it will likely be staggering, though. Also have to get all new light assemblies, both headlight and fog/parking lamps. I've heard they are from some model of Cadillac, so hopefully will be available from GM.

I talked with the insurance claims people yesterday and the preliminary report is that damages will "easily exceed $50,000". Will be awhile before I get a final figure, though.

Unless it can be determined exactly what happened, and fixed so it can never happen again, I would be afraid to drive the thing ever again!

-Don-​

The problem was with the brake pedal, not the brakes themselves. I feel the brakes would have worked if I could have applied them.  Since the brake pedal assembly was damaged in the accident, I'll probably never know what actually went wrong.

RV Roamer said:
The problem was with the brake pedal, not the brakes themselves. I feel the brakes would have worked if I could have applied them.  Since the brake pedal assembly was damaged in the accident, I'll probably never know what actually went wrong.

Yeah, I saw the message where it seemed that was the only thing it could be. But doesn't that leave some doubt? And was it redesigned in such a way so that can never happen again? 

It really makes no difference if it is the "brakes themselves" or the "brake pedal" when it cannot be stopped!

Your experience makes me feel better about buying a cheap "entry level"  older used gas powered RV! :D ;D 

Also, the fact that you had no other method to slow down .  .  . Seems dangerous. I once lost my rear brakes going down a steep hill (small tear in the rear brake line) in my old 1978 RV.  I was able to slow down and stop (with the help of "low" of tranny and parking brake) , but that was scary enough for me. And still a good thing nobody was right in front of me going slow!

Anyway, good luck!

-Don- SSF, CA​

DonTom said:
Unless it can be determined exactly what happened, and fixed so it can never happen again, I would be afraid to drive the thing ever again!

-Don-​

Gary told us what happened.. bolts came loose and dumped the brake pedal to the floor.

What can I say.. Now I read all the time about the issues with Workhorse Brakes locking up and not releasing properly

Frankly..... I think I'd rather drive a workhorse :)  (But then I do)

That has got to be a "Time for clean underware" class incident.. Just glad that the the casualties were made of metal and plastic,  Not flesh.

John From Detroit said:
Gary told us what happened.. bolts came loose and dumped the brake pedal to the floor.

Yeah, I think "most likely" were the words used, which means some doubt.

But let's hope that's all it was. Something that's easy to check and fix with lock-tite.

Perhaps we all should check our brake pedal bolts now while we are thinking about it!

Especially anybody who has a rig similar to Gary's.

-Don- SSF, CA​

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom