Windows 7 upgraded - very neat and clean upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After reading Microsoft's privacy policy for the Upgrade Advisor, I decided not to run the app. I'll stick with XP on this and another machine, and Vista on two others.

Just did a clean install of Win7 yesterday.  It's even better than the upgrade.  Screen fonts are so much easier to see.  I backed up well, but it turns out the clean install preserved all my data directories, such as music, audiobooks, personal files.  All I had to reinstall was software.  I had to reinstall HP Update from the HP Win7 64-bit web page, but running HP UPdate found nothing missing.  I have a Touchsmart, and the touchscreen works fine with Win 7.  I can't get over how clean, fast, and convenient Win 7 is. 

I have to use QuickBooks and WordPerfect for workamping, and both installed better and faster with Win7 than they did with Vista.  Intuit tried to tell me I need to buy QB 2010.  Every time I reinstall and have to reregister QB, they waste a bunch of time trying to sell me stuff like payroll services.  But I digress.  QB 2008 is working just fine.  The QB updates installed faster than ever. 

I think the new video driver is better, and music is excellent.  Then, again, this HP Touchsmart probably has especially good speakers or something.  Media Player does a nice job with DVD movies.  I'm leaving off all the stuff that came with the HP.  So far Win7 is doing it all.  Haven't written a CD or DVD yet.

--pat

Pat, thanks for the report.  So far, I haven't seen much negative experience in installing Windows 7, either upgrade or clean install.  I have 2 machines yet to do, but the MSI Wind runs it just fine.  I expect the most problems with drivers for the Toshiba Notebook, but Toshiba has updates for most, if not all, of the hardware.  My tower is a quite new, less than 1 year old, Asus system and I don't expect any problems upgrading it from Vista.  I just need a day off to find the time to do the upgrade.

Yup, I've been running it now for oh...nigh on two weeks with no problems at all.  Put it on my laptop about a week ago, and though I don't use it much, it installed great on there also. 

'Nother hint.  I wanted to pin Control Panel to the taskbar.  I found out I
1.  Open Control Panel
2.  It appears on the taskbar as an open folder
3.  Right click on the folder and select Pin to Taskbar.

Works.  I couldn't get the same thing to work for Internet Options, but I'll live with a Desktop icon.

--pat

My copy of Win7 caught up with us this week so last night I did a full backup and got ready to install tonight.

Before ordering the pre-release upgrade I ran upgrade adviser that said my 2008 Toshiba was compatible with Win7 and listed about four programs they recommended removing and reinstalling after the upgrade. This seemed like no big deal so I ordered the upgrade.

Tonight I ran the install and got this message:

The following issues are preventing Windows from upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, complete each task, and then restart the upgrade to continue.

* For these items, make the following changes:

Uninstall these programs. Open Control Panel and search for "uninstall a program".

o Intel PROSet/Wireless

Upgrading Windows will affect the following devices and/or programs:

These devices might not work properly after the upgrade. Before upgrading, we recommend updating the drivers for these devices. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel and search for "update device drivers", or go to the device manufacturer's website to search for updated drivers.

o Kernel USB Software Bus by TCP

These programs might not work properly after the upgrade. We recommend uninstalling these programs before upgrading. Cancel the upgrade, open Control Panel, and search for "uninstall a program". (Note: Programs marked as * can be safely reinstalled after the upgrade.)

o DIRECTV2PC *
         o iTunes (Please deauthorize computer prior to upgrade)
         o Bluetooth Stack for Windows by Toshiba
         o Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 *
         o Bejeweled 2 Deluxe *

Still not too concerned until I went to the Toshiba website and found out that they only recommend upgrading 2009 laptops (those with the free W7 upgrade offer) and doing a clean install only on their 2007 and 2008 models. ??? ??? Their software will only support an upgrade to the 2009 models and a clean install to the others. They do not recommend doing a manual install because there are "many" components that have to be individually downloaded and installed for the computer to operate properly.

I just had to reinstall all the programs on this laptop last year and am not very excited about going through this again so soon! ???

The new Apple TV ad about Win7 keeps coming to mind: "This time it will be different, trust me". (Or something like that). ::)

Jeff said:
My copy of Win7 caught up with us this week so last night I did a full backup and got ready to install tonight.

Before ordering the pre-release upgrade I ran upgrade adviser that said my 2008 Toshiba was compatible with Win7 and listed about four programs they recommended removing and reinstalling after the upgrade...

Ouch.  I think I have a similar Toshiba laptop model -- Satellite P105-S6197...

Please report back how it goes...

2008 Toshiba here too... P205D-S7802

I'll wait to upgrade (if I do at all) until I hear back some status reports from other Toshiba owners.  :)

I upgraded to 7 on my Toshiba L305. I did a clean install. Was easy and it works great.  Check out Toshiba's website for instructions.
I can't wait to gety rid of Vista on my desktop.

Tony

Okay - I'm aboard...  Just ordered an OEM version of W7 Pro 64 bit.  My CPU will support XP Mode Virtualization so I'll be able to run my Adobe CS2 suite in XP Mode.  Also all of my 8Gb or ram will be used (I run 64 bit Linux now, but 32 bit XP.)  Also going to order Adobe CS4 so I'll have lots of stuff to play with this winter  8).

I upgraded Lorna's notebook yesterday after installing Vista on it first.  The upgrade to W7 was easy and everything was converted properly.  After that experience I decided I would upgrade my desktop today.  I have a LOT of software installed on this machine and a botched upgrade would be a serious problem as this is my development system.  I did uninstall VMWare Desktop as I was going to upgrade that to version 7 anyway.  I also uninstalled my backup software on the recommendation of the Windows 7 upgrade program.  The actual upgrade took a couple of hours but everything works except my scanner.  But that didn't work under Vista either, so no surprise there.  This was from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64, both Home Premium editions.

John, I suggest rather than use the XP Virtualization mode, you get VMWare.  It's on sale for 30% off today and tomorrow.  Or if you don't want to buy a virtual machine program, get the free Virtual Box from Sun.  Run CS2 in one of those, you have more than enough memory, but you do need a Windows XP or Vista 32 license.  I'm sure you have one of those around that you're no longer using :)

Ned:

Is that Lorna's Toshiba? If so did you follow their recommendation to do a clean install or did you do an upgrade?  If you did upgrade did you use Toshiba's software to upgrade the drivers?

I still have the Win7 package sitting here. ::)

My Xmas present was a HP Mini netbook with Win7 Starter installed that seems to work nicely.

Ned - glad W7 worked out okay for you.  I might ultimately install it on my Satellite Pro.  I don't anticipate needing to run Virtualization mode very much - only until I get CS4.

I'll totally blow away my XP partition on my big tower and start fresh with W7 - I was running out of room anyway and I can easily reinstall the few apps I run in Windoze.

I'm really looking forward to running CS4 in a 64 bit OS - I looked at the specs on the Adobe website and the CS4 apps are written for 64 bit  8)

John Canfield said:
It's not Christmas yet!  (You'll love having a netbook!)

John:

If I get what I want around Thanksgiving everyone backs off spending money on me for something I will probably return.

Now I will get books and shirts.;D ;D

Jeff, yes, it's Lorna's Satellite and I installed Vista clean, but upgraded that to 7.  I did have to install the 2 Vista service packs first.  Toshiba says that model doesn't support Windows 7 but everything is working.  It even installed drivers for the fingerprint reader that never worked right under XP.  I did not use the Toshiba upgrade software, just let Windows handle everything.  There were several driver updates after the upgrade as well as a load of security fixes.

32 bit on the Satellite, but 64 bit on my desktop.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom