Windows 7 upgraded - very neat and clean upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I installed my Vista to "7" upgrade night before last on my new Toshiba laptop and it went smoothly and seems to work well.  Have not used it enough to say it is any better or not.  But have been told it is faster but I don't see how.

Control Panel | System and it will tell you if you are running a 32 or 64 bit version.  It matters because 32 bit operating systems (not just Windows) can only address up to 3.3GB of memory while a 64 bit OS can address more than you can put in the computer.  Also, not all peripherals have 64 bit drivers available, so if that's a consideration, it limits you to a 32 bit OS.  If you have any very old 16 bit programs, they won't run under a 64 bit OS.

Thanks Ned - I'll stick with 32bit for now, as I do have some older games that the kids play and I'm sure probably wouldn't handle the new software.  My laptop memory tops out at 4gb of memory anyway (which I'm planning on doing soon, currently at 2gb) so I won't lose too much of that max.  ;)

I have 64 bit Vista with 4GB of RAM on my T5800 Core Duo processor Toshiba and was concerned that Win7 with 1GB on my new HP Mini would be really slow. It handles what I bought it for very well running Firefox, Streets & Trips, and VMSPC while we are traveling.

I thought about selling the Win7 upgrade I bought for the Toshiba rather than reinstalling all the software but I guess I'll bite the bullet one of these nights and do a clean install. :D

Just loaded W7 on my primary tower and it went really well EXCEPT it wrote over the master boot record where Grub is installed (I dual boot into Linux and Windows, at least I used  to do that.)  Thank you very much Bill G.  So now I need to start again (I guess) with installing Ubuntu.

W7Pro 64 bit is way faster than XP Home 32 bit, but that is to be expected.  I think the Aero desktop is okay, but it has nothing over KDE or Gnome.  64 bit Ubuntu was a screamer as well.

One really neat thing was W7 had a driver for my pen tablet - that was a totally unexpected and pleasant surprise.

The boot record situation has been discussed at length in various Linux and Windows forums.  I don't think you need to reinstall Ubuntu, just Grub.  A Google search should turn up the discussions.

I was pleasantly surprised when Windows 7 had drivers for just about everything on the Toshiba notebook.  I was planning on installing lots of additional drivers, but the only one that was critical was the Toshiba Raid controller driver that was needed to do the Windows install.  I had to load that from a flash drive during the installation and update the BIOS to the latest version.

Ned said:
The boot record situation has been discussed at length in various Linux and Windows forums.  I don't think you need to reinstall Ubuntu, just Grub.  A Google search should turn up the discussions.

Ned - after I realized Bill G messed with me, I then remembered reading about the situation a year ago when I initially set up the tower.  I'll see what I can do to get Grub back into action - thanks for the suggestion.

Ned said:
Jeff, yes, it's Lorna's Satellite and I installed Vista clean, but upgraded that to 7.  I did have to install the 2 Vista service packs first.  Toshiba says that model doesn't support Windows 7 but everything is working...

What model # is Lorna's Satellite?  Although I bought my P105-S6197 in March 2007, the second digit of "6" in the serial number means it was made in 2006, which knocks it out of the time period that Toshiba says they support for W7 installation...

The Toshiba is a Qosmio (not Satellite, my mistake) G35-AV650 and it's a 2006.  Even though Toshiba doesn't officially support Windows 7 on it, doesn't mean you can't install it.

I messed with Grub and got Ubuntu booting again, then I couldn't boot into W7 from the Grub menu after I edited it to point to the W7 partition.  Then, nothing would boot  :p  :mad: . So, now I'm busy reinstalling W7, then I'll reinstall Ubuntu.  Linux knows how to play well with other operating systems, Windoze doesn't.

Ran into a problem (W7) trying to add a network printer (HP Laserjet 1200) from a Linksys print server - even though it appears as a Windows network share, W7 will not recognize it.  Downloaded the W7 driver from HP and it still didn't work.  I'll have to do some more research (after W7 reinstalls  :D.)

Nice way to spend a cold Saturday, installing operating systems :)  I'm waiting for my hose bibs to thaw out.

:D :D - I don't think our heat pump shut off last night!  Left a faucet running last night, so we're good on water.  Our low was 21.3 a little after midnight.

I'm surprised a heat pump worked down to 21F.  We ran the furnace as it heats the utility bay as well as the floor.  Disconnected the hose and drained it.

John Canfield said:
:D :D - I don't think our heat pump shut off last night!  Left a faucet running last night, so we're good on water.  Our low was 21.3 a little after midnight.

Windows 7 comes with a heat pump ???    ;D

Ned said:
I'm surprised a heat pump worked down to 21F. 

I wish - the heat strips were probably sucking up the kilowatts all night  :D

W7 with a heat pump?  Actually I should overclock my system (all of the components I chose for my system were designed to be overclocked) and devise a heat exchanger  8)

Ah, heat strips will work at any temperature :)  Heat pumps won't work much below 35F.

My CPU core temps had been running around 90+C.  I took the system apart the other day to install some RAM and vacuumed out about 10 lbs of dust bunnies, much of it from the CPU fan.  Temps are now in the 60C range.

Save the dust bunnies to insulate your shed  ;D  It's amazing how quickly the dust collects - of course having five or six fans running helps the dust collection process!

I just installed Gigabyte's mobo drivers from the included CDROM and now there is a USB device that is not recognized in W7, but nothing is plugged in the USB ports <sigh> - I disabled the device.  Dummy, dummy, dummy me - should have checked Gigabyte's download page first for W7 stuff.  Gigabyte has a scan utility that supposedly scans your system and all it said I needed was a sound driver upgrade.  W7 says I'm up-to-date.

Gigabyte does say my mobo (GA-EP45-UD3P) is W7 friendly - maybe the USB thing is an anomaly.  I can always reinstall everything  :eek:

Edit:  our heat pump has worked at the stick house below freezing, not very well, but it has worked,  I'm lobbying the treasurer for a wood burning stove - one of those high-efficiency types.

We'll bring the dust bunnies along on the 15th for your stove :)  The Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor said all my hardware was compatible except for the scanner.  I really like Asus mobos.  I have no flagged devices and everything works.  Even the scanner with VueScan that installs its own driver for unsupported scanners.

Back
Top Bottom