Re-covering knifejack sofa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rvtravelers13

Hello,
I am new to this and had question. I am wanting to purchase a cover for my jackknife sofa bed in my RV. Has anyone ever done this and what kind would you get. The cushions are not removeable therefore I am unable to cover the cushions has anyone got any ideas.

Thanks
A

Can you take the sofa itself out or just the upholstered part?  I bet it comes out.  Then you can take it to an auto upholstery or regular shop and they can redo it.

Can you upholster, usually its not that difficult.  The cover is generally stapled to a frame, usually wooden, yours might be screwed to a metal frame not sure.  If so in either case remove it keeping it in tack as much as possible.  Use the removed cover for a pattern for the replacement piece.  If it has buttons, you will need to cut the thread that holds each one and pull them out too.  You can then just go the same steps in reverse order to put it back.  If at all possible do not disturb, the padding, foam and intercore or it can lose its shape.

I have this same issue with my jackknife sofa, only my padding is worn too and I'm not sure those replacements are available anymore.  An RV tech suggested to me that I look for a tag that would identify the original manufacturer of the sofa (likely Flexsteel), then contact them to see if they still make upholstery replacements.  He said even with my sofa being from 1994, the designs haven't changed much and there may be a pre-stitched cover available that an upholstery shop (or me if I was brave) could fit on.

I haven't been down this road yet, but that's the first thing I'm going to try.  There is a tag I've seen hanging in the middle of the front cushion, when the bed is folded out.  In fact, while I'm thinking about it maybe I'll go check right now.  :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom