Doggie Door Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
[quote author=Wendy]Better yet, the owners need to pick it up and pitch if overboard.[/quote]
OMG! And you call yourself an environmentalist  ???  Where's Al Gore when we need him?

Tom said:
Aye Wendy, doggies do tend to smell after being sprayed by a skunk, even if they've received a de-smell.

What I found interesting was that leather seemed to retain the smell; Our daughter's car had leather seats, and wouldn't give up the smell for a long time. She eventually traded the car. Whenever Chris visited our daughter's place, she'd come home and I could smell the skunk on her leather purse. I have no explanation for why leather seemed to retain the smell.

Does Gordon wear a leather collar  ???

Leather, like other skin, has pores?

Windy now you went and scared me with your mean owl.

This yard is in the city.  In a very secure neighborhood.  I do not think I have to worry about an owl.  However point well taken.  No dog door for me.

Willies favorite place is on the back of the couch keeping tabs on HIS back yard.  He sees a squirrel on the fence he is mad and ready for battle.  Thank God he can not catch them.  I tell him to not come back with out a black eye or blood on his chin so I  know he been in a good fight.  Has not happened yet.  LOL

On a sad note a lady came by my girlfriends house (Out in the country) just tonight with a flier of her little lost girl.  She has been letting her out for 3 years and she always comes back in.  Last night she did not.  This family was heart broke.  My girlfiend said this little Yorke looked just like my Willie.  I was talking to her just before I came here to check this thread.  I am not sure God does not give warnings about things like this so I have sure taken notice of this coincidence.

PS My Willie poops little curly poop designed to not roll to the stern.  He is a fisherman and spends lots of days from early to late on a boat and has never pooped in one yet.  I do try to get him off at mid day to sniff around but when at sea there no getting him off the boat.

[quote author=papahog]My Willie poops little curly poop designed to not roll to the stern.[/quote]

Willie is very creative and obviously a seafaring dog  ;D

Wendy said:
We have a doggie door in the house and it lets in a LOT of cold air. It also let in Gordon after he got skunked and probably could have easily let in Mr Skunk, too. I don't think I'd want one in the RV. And as Tom said, doggie outside unattended could become lunch (especially a dog as small as Willie). In Death Valley, they have a scoreboard for dogs v. coyotes - dog score is always zero, coyotes always win.

Wendy

Wendy,

Based on where you live, I guess I was lucky that neither of my dogs got sprayed when I stayed near Mesa Verde for a month last year!  Come to think of it, we never detected the delightful fragrance one normally equates to skunks!

Denny

Denny - We usually have "eu de skunk" in the spring and fall when they're out looking for boyfriends/girlfriends. Not so much in the summer and winter so you may have missed their pleasant odor.

Ken - Didn't mean to scare you but when we got our first Lab, he was house trained because the owner had lost one of the puppies to an owl and had moved the other 7 pups into the house and trained them all at the same time (and they were probably bigger when they were born than Willie is now!). As for Willie, he sounds like a very intelligent, well-mannered fellow who has his Papa well trained  :) Bet he'll enjoy meeting the other hairy kids at Quartzsite.

Wendy

Willie, being a seafaring dog, might enjoy this (true) story ...

Our last dog enjoyed visits to, and trips aboard, our prior boat. When we anchored out overnight, she had her own bed and would wake early in the morning, letting me know she wanted to "go". I'd hop in the dinghy (she got there first), and would either motor to shore or, if we were rafted with other boats, I'd row. I'd pull up to shore, either a beach or some rocks, she'd reluctantly hop out and proceed not to do anything. She'd hop back in the dinghy, and we'd return to the boat.

It took a number of such trips to realize she really wanted a dinghy ride. Although she was paranoid of water, the dinghy was "her boat", and she'd stand on the bow like a hood ornament.

Attachments

• dinghy-dog2.jpg
    dinghy-dog2.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 16
Aye, that she did Wendy, although her Dad changed the time of the early morning dinghy rides when he finally figured it out  ;D

Tom said:
We have a number of boating friends who have dogs, although not all understand that dogs aren't welcome on some boats.

One friend carries his little pooch in something that resembles a diaper bag. He came onto the boat of another friend who does not like dogs, period. He proceeded to lay out the piddle pad, and the pooch took a dump. The cockpits of most boats slope towards the stern, so the turd rolled downhill, much to the consternation of the captain/owner of that boat.

Thereafter, we declared that pooches could only poop square turds on other folks' boats  ;D  (If you didn't get it, square turds don't roll like round ones do.)

Did he go on the "poop" deck?

LOL Denny, we didn't have a poop deck, and it was a 'she'.

Windy  Willie is a very well mannered quite dog.  He is very good in public and is perfect with his bathroom needs. Never an mistake in the house. 

Yet you should see the times I have said to myself, "Willie did a better job training me than I did him". 

He has been my constant companion.

He does have PTSD, (post traumatic separation disorder) If I leave him with someone in a little bit he will start shaking, never leaving the door that I went out of, whimper a little bit and start throwing up little puddle about every 5 min.  I come back he is just fine. 

That is my fault. Had I done things different when he was young he would not suffer this separation anxiety

Back
Top Bottom