Extended warranty for new RV ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smokeater1

Any opinions on the value of extended warranty on a new RV ?
For appliances ? 

Only a few days left before delivery and to make a decision !

Thanks....

You will have at least a 1 year warranty on everything on a new RV so you have that long to shop for an extended warranty.  In any case, DO NOT buy a warranty from the dealer, you can do much better from third parties.

I second Ned's advice - don't buy through the dealer (they make a huge profit on those contracts) and don't rush into buying right any policy away.  You can get "new" RV rates on an extended warranty anytime  while your factory warranty is still in effect and you want time to shop around.  You have enough on your plate taking delivery of a new rig, so save the warranty shopping for later.

If you decide to buy an extended warranty at all, definitely get a package for the whole rig rather than buying piecemeal coverage on appliances. The policies from the appliance manufacturers are expensive and it is much more cost effective to buy the whole package.

Thanks for the info. I was thinking the coverage had to be purchased at the time of sale !
Good, one less thing to worry about !

I will ask a few questions here myself.... Assuming some of you folks have done the shop around bit

Any comments about specific long term warranty services/plans?  Rates, what to look for, specific plans that are better or not so hot

I notice Camping World has it's own plan,,, Seems to be restricted in that you have to have all work done at a CW or at least get replacements at CW

Thanks in advance

You want an exclusionary policy, one that lists the items that are NOT covered.  If it's not listed, then it's covered.  This type of policy will cost a bit more, but it's harder for the company to weasel out of paying.  Get a specimen policy before purchase and read ALL the fine print.  Make sure you understand your obligations under the policy and follow them rigorously.  Any misstep can be grounds for denying a claim.

I would not buy a policy that restricts where the work can be done.  There are a lot of choices out there so you don't have to be restricted in that way.

Back
Top Bottom