Gasket around door to RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
P

PatrioticStabilist

I noticed the top 2 corners of the gasket around the RV entrance door are loose, they seem to be pulled loose from the backing so I doubt are fixable.

My question is can I get a gasket for a vehicle door and use it instead of buying the particular gasket for the RV?  I figure I could buy those at an auto parts store but likely would have to order this.

Thanks, I will try that, sure beats trying to replace it.

The trick is to apply a light coating to both mating surfaces and let them dry. Then press into place.
Trying to use the rubber cement as a "glue" won't work.

Joe

Gotcha', I would have tried using it as a glue, duh. :)

I have tried 3 times to replace mine.
1st time gasket was too thick, door would not close
2nd time, had to remove and sand off all the goop.
3rd time screen door sticks every time it is closed

Now I will wait until spring for a 4th try.

Jay

I would suggest that if/when the gasket needs replaced, that you cut a small section off the bottom for sizing. Sure would beat replacing the gasket 4 times...

Joe

Yes, I found a site that had all shapes and kinds of gaskets for doors.  However, they wanted to sell a 100 foot or 200 foot roll, don't think I need that much.  Maybe I can find another.

See if there is an RV repair facility near you. If there is, they may have the proper size/shape on hand if they too had to purchase a 100 foot roll for a repair. I bet they would gladly sell some of it. If you find this is the case, consider purchasing enough to replace it twice and store the unused portion in a ziploc bag under one of the closet drawers or something. I have a few items like that under my closet drawers in the "unused" bottom of the closet area safely out of the way and I know I have it if needed.

Sure beats compromising valuable storage space for stuff like that and it's always onhand.

Joe

That's a good idea.  We had a guy that finally after many years got a place to fabricate new hinges for the Silver Streaks.  The old ones were cast and were breaking, since its been out of business for many many years people were getting desperate.  I bought 2 sets, one for each trailer, they sure were expensive.  But I told hubby we might use them and even it we sold them, someone may need them, ours are fine so far. 

I too like to keep extras of things.  If you saw our sheds and my sewing room and my food pantry, well you would see we have lots of extras of everything. Ha! Ha! ;)

Hubby said we will look the gasket over.  He said if we use contact cement we have to be careful gluing it on.  He will be home on Monday. Takes him a day or two to unwind and rest from almost 24 hour travel stint, then we will see what we can do with the gasket. 

I can sure use his help around here.

I forgot to update this.  Tom found some gasket material and redid around the door, it resealed good, there are no leaks around it now.  So got that done also.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom