Im down to choosing between two models. Another Diesel verses Gas. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rving

I know this cannot be answered with a simple answer but I would still like to hear every ones input if anything based on real world
experience.

Ive narrowed it down between the Coachmen Freelander 2200TB Diesel or the Gas Freelander 23BB.
Nothing is perfect so that is where I am troubled.
Some general observations.

Benefits to the Diesel
Mileage
Air suspension chassis and less air drag.
Low end torque
Narrower and 1 foot less taller

Downside
More money
Smaller fresh water and propane.
Propane generator
Less weight capacity. There will be three of us.

Benefits for the Gasser
Cheaper
More room inside
I can probably get it serviced easier
Larger take size for fresh water and propane
gas generator
much higher weight capacity

Downside

Larger width and height
Not as aerodynamic
May not ride as nice as the Diesel

I look forward to hearing both pros and cons from all. If you had the money which would you buy and why or money aside based on technology which would sway your decision.

Thank you.

I'm not familiar with either of the two models you mention as I have an Itasca gasser.

To answer your question, if money is not a problem I'd get the diesel.  Although, I admit I'm puzzled by your comment that they have smaller tanks and less CCC than gassers.  I'm positive that isn't necessarily true regarding weight and the smaller tank size frankly baffles me.  Also, what's wrong with a propane generator?  I used to have one and it was great.  Anyway, I'd still go with the diesel.

sheltie said:
I'm not familiar with either of the two models you mention as I have an Itasca gasser.

To answer your question, if money is not a problem I'd get the diesel.  Although, I admit I'm puzzled by your comment that they have smaller tanks and less CCC than gassers.  I'm positive that isn't necessarily true regarding weight and the smaller tank size frankly baffles me.  Also, what's wrong with a propane generator?  I used to have one and it was great.  Anyway, I'd still go with the diesel.

For some reason the fresh water and propane capacity are half the volume on the smaller Diesels compared to the equivalent gassers. Im guessing it is because the Gross Weight allowed is much smaller. Not sure why, hopefully someone can comment.
Regarding the generators and gas verses propane I caught this thread.
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,25167.0.html

You need to carefully consider what you are going to use it for. 

Are you just going to do weekend jaunts with an occasional vacation a couple hundred miles away?
Winner Gas

Are you going to be driving long distances and doing alot of site seeing?
Winner Diesel

When you are on the road will you have another vehical in tow, or will the RV be the only vehical?
Smaller is better if the RV will be the only vehical.

Propane isnt that bad for a generator, I wouldnt view it as a negative.  many truck stops carry propane, so it is easy to top off.
It burns clean.  Tune up parts like plugs last long, oil stays clean longer.

If it helps make some lists of things you like about each. 

The sprinter Chassis is a great efficient chassis for piling miles on.  You dont have the pulling power of the truck and bus diesels, but they give great fuel economy and are easy to maintain.
Service shouldn't be an issue.  Freightliner, Mercedes, and Dodge all share this chassis.  It is well suited to the task, new to the US, but in Europe have been in these uses for a long time.
What it will come down to, is it big enough?

The Coachmen Freelander 2200TB is built on the Sprinter diesel van chassis and is smaller all the way around vs the gas-powered 23BB. The small diesel engine is the only advantage I see for the 2200TB.  But if the 2200TB is big enough for your needs, the diesel will be superior on fuel economy.

According to the specs on the Coachman site, water and such are the same, through. But web sites are often out of date.

http://coachmenrv.com/products/model/specs/?ProductID=4&SeriesID=10&Product=Class%20C%20Motorhomes&Series=Freelander

For weekends and vacation use, I'd probably choose the gas model based on initial cost, but it's a tough decision.

Hi Gary

The Coachmen seams to be the only Diesel built on the Sprinter chassis that does have the larger capacity for water and propane which is why I am considering it. Yes it is a tough decision.
Both models offer great values which makes the decision not so easy. Which do you think will hold a higher resale value in a few years. I plan to join all you class As in a few years:)

Thank you.

FWIW, in the future, I predict that gasoline will be much less expensive than diesel fuel.  There is a ton of development work going into natural gas,  hybrid, hydrogen, fuel cell, electric and other power schemes for cars.  There is a little bit of work going on for bio-diesel but the big trucks/trains/dozers/farm tractors/ will, I suspect, continue to run diesel instead of gasoline or any of the other motive systems.  It's a power density thing and on that basis, it is difficult to beat diesel.  Maybe I'm wrong and all fuels will rise in concert with the market forces and dollar devaluation.  If fuel costs are a significant factor in your decision, maybe gasoline will be the winner... but your "crystal ball" is probably better than mine.

You can always flip a coin and have a decision without paralysis by analysis.

I ended up choosing the Gas Freelander 23BB. As someone said there is no perfect RV & I could have kept researching forever. This will be my first RV and Im looking foreword to my first trip upstate NY to Florida next month. Thanks to all for putting up with all my questions. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom