Fueling a 2004 27' sightseer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wcf05tobh

I recently went to fuel my motor home (first time since April 1st).  The gas stations in so cal have installed Healey Pump Nozzles and it won't fit into my filler pipe.  I've called Winnebago and they have no solution.

All stations?  Not sure what the Nealey is, my guess is a type that somehow seals to capture vapors?  I would try to get a neck that it will fit, have it adapt to your tank fill.  Something Winnebago couldn't tell you for liability, but among friends, I would try it.  You could have it made so that it inserts in, clamps or have the right fitting. 

Alternative, how attached are you to CA?  M ight be a good time to leave. 

Interim, fill a 5 gal jug, then pour in.

You might want to try contacting one of these people, they are apparently in charge of the scheduled maintenance of the Healy nozzles/pumps. They are from the San Joaquin Valley Air Population Control District so they may have a clue or at least provide someone who does.
Mr. Rob Vinson
1990 E. Gettysburg Ave
Fresno, CA 93726                
[email protected]

Mr. Vernon McKnight  
2700 ?M? Street, Suite 275
Bakersfield, CA 93301
[email protected]

This is disturbing. We're leaving here shortly (as soon as the snow melts off the road) headed for California. We have a 2004 27' Sightseer. What do you do if you're traveling in California and you can't get gas? Are all California gas stations using this Healy watch-a-ma-call-it?

Wendy

Wendy,

I have a few 5 & 6 gallon gas containers you can borrow.

Tom said:
Wendy,

I have a few 5 & 6 gallon gas containers you can borrow.

We've got a 2.5-gallon one we take with us but do you know how long it would take to fill a 40-gallon tank 2.5-gallons at a time?? I can just see us in the Flying J RV lane, blocking traffic, while we fill the can, pour it in the MH, fill the can, pour it in the MH.......it boggles the mind.

Wendy

[quote author=Wendy]I can just see us in the Flying J RV lane, blocking traffic, while we fill the can, pour it in the MH, fill the can, pour it in the MH....[/quote]

That's not how you do it. Fill the containers and pop them in back of the toad. Then fill the coach at a rest area or campground. Not really any different from the way I fuel the small boats. OTOH 100 gallons of diesel in the coach or 500 gallons of diesel in the big boat would mean too many trips to Safeway. But, this doesn't apply to diesel nozzles anyway, right?

Tom said:
That's not how you do it. Fill the containers and pop them in back of the toad. Then fill the coach at a rest area or campground.

We've got ONE 2.5-gallon gas can. That'll get us about 20 miles :)

Get a large funnel that fits your fuel inlet :)

I've used those vapor recapture nozzles and they work with a normal fuel filler inlet.  Ours is recessed and I have no problem filling with those nozzles.

Wendy,

As I said, I have a few 5 & 6 gallon gas containers you can borrow.

Tom said:
Wendy,

As I said, I have a few 5 & 6 gallon gas containers you can borrow.

After a visit with the folks in Oregon, we'll be heading south through California to Riverside. I may just stop by and pick up those 5 and 6 gallon containers......how many do I need to fill up a 40-gallon tank and where am I going to store them in a 28-foot motorhome  ??? Oh, wait, I've got an MBA in accounting so I should be able to figure that out.

If it wasn't 20 degrees and snowy, I'd just stay home.

Wendy

Ned said:
Get a large funnel that fits your fuel inlet :)

Don't know if that will work on California's recapture nozzles but Mike said it was the first thing he thought of and we've got one in the RV so we'll find out soon !!

Wendy

Oh, wait, I've got an MBA in accounting so I should be able to figure that out.

LOL Wendy. Be sure to let us know when you'll be in the area. We'd love to see you and Mike again, and would especially like to thank you both in person for your service to our country.

Tom said:
LOL Wendy. Be sure to let us know when you'll be in the area.

We'll be watching the weather and will be sure to pass your way IF IT'S WARM THERE !!  ;D Isn't there a state park nearby?

Wendy

Back
Top Bottom