Class A Insurance Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WVRVEer

Our policy is up for renewal and think I am paying too much. Does anyone have any suggestions of carriers? Is there such a thing as storage time as a discounted rate?

Thry the Search button above to find some of the many prior discussions and suggestions on this subject. Some folks report saving big $$.

As for the storage time question, I recall asking my insurance company many years ago, and was told that their policy and premium assumed only 6 months usage per year. i.e. it wasn't a fulltimer's policy, and they didn't discount for storage.
[edit]Fixed typo.[/edit]

I switched our MotorHome, auto and homeowner's insurance to Nationwide and saved over 40% by combining everything. I was not able to get any discount for the 6 months the MH was not used, but the lower rates sure made up for it.

Chet18013

GMAC offers insurance through the Good Sam Club and they have a storage time feature that saves a lot of $$ if you only use the RV part of the year.

We use National Interstate as our carrier - go to explorerrv.com for a quote.

We had and used the GMAC storage feature. the only inconvenience was that the plates had to be turned in, and the switch to or from storage had to be a month minimum.

We have since bundled through a local insurer and the savings make up for not having the storage option.

Joe

Tom said:
Thry the Search button above to find some of the many prior discussions and suggestions on this subject. Some folks report saving big $$.

That would the best source of finding info on this much-discussed topic.  A storage option would be nice, but if you drive your motorhome at least once per month (which is a good idea to keep rubber rolling and fluids circulating) then you can't really use that since most of them go month-by-month.  Many of us use Progressive insurance for our RV's, who generally provide VERY low rates with good coverage.

If you mean bundled with your other policies (other cars, house, etc.), that was NOT the case with me.  Allstate (who insures our house and daily driver) wanted an INSANE amount for the motorhome, and it was obvious to me they had little experience in RV's.  The Progressive rate was less than half what Allstate quoted me, and they have a whole section of their website devoted to RV coverage.  I've also had a claim with them with good results.  My other automotive toy (69 Pontiac Executive) is insured with Hagerty, yet another company that specializes in classics cars and boats.  So, having three different insurance companies is the cheapest option for me.  ;)

The important thing is to be sure the company has a good understanding of RVs.  If not, it might be better to pay a bit more because RVs have unique problems - e.g., they're both a house and a vehicle.  The same company seldom covers everything adequately, meaning your stick house, your RV, your cars, and all your other toys and necessities.

By the way, you would want at least minimal coverage on the RV even when it's in storage.  What if a disaster happens and damage isn't covered while it's stored?  I'm thinking of flooding, wildfires, power lines that come down onto it if outside, an electrical fire inside a storage building, a propane tank exploding, etc.

ArdraF

Thanks everyone. I need to get on this.....all of your suggestions will help! Thanks again

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom