Affinity Debt Issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeff

Moderator Emeritus
Pacific Coast Business Times had this report on Affinty Group, owner of Good Sam and Camping World,  this week.

When they go belly up, maybe our junk mail will stop  :eek:

Tom said:
When they go belly up, maybe our junk mail will stop  :eek:

I'm going to call Ron tomorrow, this ought to get him going. ;D

Oh no, we just renewed a one-year towing service  with them.  Oh well it's only $100 if they go down.

JerryF

JerArdra said:
Oh no, we just renewed a one-year towing service  with them.  Oh well it's only $100 if they go down.

JerryF

Jerry:

We have driven by about four Camping Worlds this fall with their lots jammed with unsold RV's. The potential lender has agreed to provide financing IF they get rid of the Camping World stores so I think GS will still be around.

[quote author=Jeff]I'm going to call Ron tomorrow...[/quote]

Call Fred & Daisy instead  ;D

Here we go again, another round of Good SAM bashing again.  If Affinity goes under what does that say about the rest of the industry??

Tony

Tony,

Lighten up; Nobody is bashing GS, and we're merely joshing with each other and making fun of the fact that some folks here like GS while others don't. The ones we're 'bashing' (in a friendly way) are ourselves ;)

If they totally go under, then no more Trailer Life or Woodalls Guides. Of course, somebody would likley buy up the betetr assets, so some of the Affinity companies would survive.

CW went in big for RV sales and also a rental fleet, but the timing was rotten.  They also expended heavily buying out dealers to form the Freedom Roads chain of RV dealerships, also bad timing.

Well, the posting date of the article was April.  What has happened?  I was at CW today and renewed my Pres club.  (Only $12)  Did they survive or is it still swirling down the drain?

Tony:

I really did post this as a heads up only. Unfortunately we have already seen far bigger players in the RV industry go by the wayside.

[quote author=tswms]I guess I just don't see anything funny about the possible loss of one of the major players in the industry.[/quote]

Your comeback didn't refer to the levity; It specifically said "Good Sam bashing", which we're specifically not doing. Personally, I wouldn't call GS a major player (we gave up on them many years ago), but I'm sure others will disagree now that the pot has been stirred.

Aye Gary, timing was bad for a number of their decisions. It's likely they'd be bought out of, or re-emerge from, bankruptcy debt-free and move on from there.

We recently rejoined GS after a 2 year absence; Took just the one year $12 deal for fear things were still not looking good for Affinity.  I hope they do survive since GS has been a solid social base for lots of RVers.

I too get tired of all the junk mail & it really ticked me off when I called to activate our new card recently.  As expected, the GS rep tried to sell us all sorts of different things we didn't want, but I expected this and should have just not rejoined if I didn't like it.

And....it appears NASCAR's Truck series will probably have new sponsorship next year...CW laid out $2 Mil this year to have their name on all the trucks.  Doubt if they'll be in position to do that again. :-\

Not bashing...just my thoughts 8)

Dick

workingtorv said:
$2M seems like an awful low number to sponsor the entire Nascar Truck Series...

Craftsman, the previous sponsor, paid $4 Million per yer for sponsorship, which they chose to end last year.  With the tough economic times, CW came in with a highest bid of $2 Mil & got the deal.  Who knows about 2010 season ???  With reduced crowds at all NASCAR events this year, might even be less than $2 Mil.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom