travel from E Tx to Fairbanks Ak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

210tejas

New to forum. Searched for this info with no luck. I sure it is on here somewhere. Looking for info on CG, Gas, Roads and best time to travel. Looking to spend about 2 months.
Any info appricated.
Thanks John

Hi John and welcome to RV Forum.

That's a long, long route. Are you looking for input on ALL of it, or just the Canada & Alaska part? There is only a couple of choices on the way through Canada to the Alcan Highway and once you get on that, basically only one way to get to Fairbanks. For things along the way, your best bet is to get a copy of a guide called The Milepost, which gives every detail of the way along the Alcan Hwy.

http://milepost.com/

Several folks here have been to Alaska and their trip logs are recorded and stored in the Forum Library under Trip Reports.

Sounds like a cool trip.  Where in East Texas are you leaving from (I'm also East Texas...northeast of Houston).  We drove from Fairbanks down to Omaha NE back in '87 in late October and we were fine.  I sure wouldn't want to push it any later than that.  I would say from a time perspective, anywhere from around mid-May to October or so.  Keep in mind during the summer up there, the mosquitoes will be horrible.  Take plenty of Bens and keep the skeeters in mind.  Also keep in mind that the Alcan Highway is constantly under repair.  There could be stretches of up to 20 miles at a time that could be nothing but rock overlay, waiting for new pavement.  But I sure envy you the trip.  Highly recommended to everyone to do the Alcan Highway at least once in their lifetime!

The start of the Alaska Highway is at Dawson Creek, BC.  There are all kinds of ways to get there, but once at Dawson Creek, there are only two ways to get to the main portion of Alaska: 1) The Alaska Highway all the way to it's official end at Delta Junction (from Delta Junction to Fairbanks, you'll be traveling on the Richardson Highway), or 2) At Whitehorse, YK, go north on the Klondike Highway to Dawson City, cross the Yukon River on the free ferry, travel the Top of the World Highway to the Yukon/Alaska border, the Taylor Higway from that point, through Chicken and back to the Alaska Highway at Tetlin Junction east of Tok, AK.

An alternative way of getting to Alaska other than starting at Dawson Creek, is to travel the Cassiar Highway from Kitwanga, BC to its junction with the Alaska Highway just west of Watson Lake, YK.  No matter which way you go, you'll be on the Alaska Higway at least part of the time...there are only two land border crossing from Canada into the main part of Alaska: 1) The one at the Yukon/Alaska border on the Alaska Highway, and 2) The one at the Yukon/Alaska border at the Top of the World Highway west of Dawson City, YK.

I do hope you're planning on doing more exploring of Alaska other than just Fairbanks!  As someone else stated, get a copy of the Milepost before leaving on your trip (the new ones are published and made available in March of each year).  In addition to the Milepost, I also highly recommend Mike and Terri Church's book, Traveler's Guide to Alaskan Camping.  And, if you plan on taking any tours, I'd also recommend buying The Great Alaskan Tour Saver which has many two-for-one tour coupons...taking one tour can save you the price of the coupon booklet (assuming you're traveling with another person...which you didn't state...if you're traveling alone, don't bother with the coupon booklet).

I'd also recommend the Trailer Life RV Parks, Campgrounds & Services Directory which includes not only the Lower 48, but also Alaska and Canada.  We use ours almost every day when on the road.  The Milepost is essential so you'll know where to find things as well as know what you're looking at.  I don't know if they're still publishing it, but there also used to be a Milepost version for the northwestern U.S. and up into Canada.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
I don't know if they're still publishing it, but there also used to be a Milepost version for the northwestern U.S. and up into Canada.
When The Milepost was purchase from its orginal owner by the Morris Magazine Network, they either didn't buy the rights to the guide you're talking about, or if they did, they dropped publication of it.

You might be able to get some of the same information from the Mile By Mile website.  Mike and Terri Church have a book that might cover much of the same information, Pacific Northwest Camping Destinations that covers Oregon, Washington, and British Columbia.

You are looking at a trip of about 14,000 miles.  Two months may be a little light to see everything you might want to see.  I did the trip in 2000 and it's fascinating.  Much of Canada is as good as anything in Alaska and I highly recommend the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper.  Gorgeous mountains.

Ah, Palenstine!  Just up the road a fur piece!  I was through there a couple of months ago on my way to a Canton camping trip (had to take the wife to 1st Monday!).  Good luck with the planning of your trip, and keep us posted!

Ron from Big D said:
You are looking at a trip of about 14,000 miles.  Two months may be a little light to see everything you might want to see.  I did the trip in 2000 and it's fascinating.  Much of Canada is as good as anything in Alaska and I highly recommend the Icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper.  Gorgeous mountains.

That's roughly about $3500.00 just in gas alone (considering gas is at $2.50).Wow!

In Sept we completed a 4 month trip to Atlantic Canada which was close to 13,000 miles.  I would not want to do that kind of mileage in just 2 months.  If the 14,000 mile calculation is correct, for 60 days that is 234 miles each day with no stops.

Now if I'm misreading your post and you are going to stay in Alaska for 2 months after getting there; that's a different thought.

Marsha~

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom