When is a queen bed really a queen size bed in an RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishon71

I'm 6'2" and found that a RV queen bed in at least the older models is 74"L X 60W" and they call this a queen when a queen really measures 80" X 60".  I'm just about ready yo pass on a good deal because of this but was also considering doing a modification to extend the platform by six inches and buy a new queen std mattress.

A Queen size bed in a RV is really a Queen size bed when it is called a full Queen Size bed, other wise it is called a RV Queen size and is 6" shorter as you know. :mad:
I did that mod on a previous TT we had.

When shopping for mattresses several years ago, I discovered that some bed manufacturers offered an "RV queen".

If you're in the market for a new mattress and have considered a Sleep Number style, they currently have a closeout on mattresses in their warehouse. Ordered my "normal queen" yesterday to replace a knock-off brand I'd bought when we first bought the coach. The knock-off was not the same as the OEM (King) Sleep Number we have at home, and it burst a seam recently. Sleep Number offers a 20 year warranty on all their mattresses.

The SN closeout page is here:  http://www.selectcomfort.com/outlet  Ignore the "sale ends 10/31" at the bottom; I received a flyer in the mail with an 11/28 ending date, and I suspect they move the date if they haven't sold all the inventory. They'll ask if you need a foundation (they don't want them installed on top of a box spring), but I just said it was going into an RV.

I actully have an old queen sleep number air matress, was called select comfort when I bought it. Its in a spare bedroom not being used right now. I have 15 1/2" from the end of the bed to the wall right now, if I add 6" to the box I will have less than a foot to slide thru, what do you think?

Sleep Number and Select Comfort are the same thing... at least now they are, not sure if that was always the case.  I certainly wouldn't pass on an RV purchase because the bed is too short, or you'll be passing on lots of rigs!  Extending the platform shouldn't be that hard and do you really need the extra few inches at the end of the bed?  Probably not.

[quote author=fishon71].... if I add 6" to the box I will have less than a foot to slide thru, what do you think?[/quote]

Whatever you're comfortable with. When our coach is in storage and I need to get past the bed, I'll sometimes retract the slideout a little, just so there's a foot or less between the foot of the bed and the cabinets. OTOH if I need to raise the bed to get to the stuff stored under there, I need a lot more room than a foot for my butt to get in there while I'm bending.

Lucky you having a spare air mattress. BTW the company still uses the Select Comfort name, but uses Sleep Number for brand marketing. I vaguely recall seeing another company with a similar name, which might be why they changed the brand name. Take this with a grain of salt though.

If anyone ELSE happens to have one of these queen mattresses sitting around "not being use" ... let me know!!  We can work out a price and shipping I'm sure.  ;)

Fishon71,

RV beds are not exactly known for their adequate lengths!  If you do decide to lengthen the bed base, you need to take into account the space required if you have one that raises.  Ours lifts up and we would have trouble lengthening it because it almost touches the ceiling when it is in the fully raised position.  It has underbed storage as well as access to the slideout mechanism so it needs to be raised every so often.  Also, if the bed is in a slideout, you may not have enough room for the extra length when the slide is in.  For example, our bed linens just touch the cabinets at the foot of the bed when the slide is retracted.  Both of these comments depend on your setup and neither may be an issue.  Hope you're able to find one that fits you!

ArdraF

The bed does lift up with storage under it but I don't see why we would have to push it up straight to the ceiling, it might be a two man job, one to hold and one to fetch, else I could make some kind if legs to hold it up. Keep in mind the air matress is very light. There is no push out in the bed room and I have 151/2" now from the end of the bed to the wall. I will have to take a closer look at the situation tomorrow.

Most lift-up beds have struts that hold the bed up, similar to what cars use for trunk lids or hatchbacks on cars.  It sounds like yours doesn't have that.  My Thor had that type of bed originally, but a previous owner tore out the bed to make a bigger "room" for storage back there (he slept up front on the couch).  Soon after buying our rig, we rebuilt the bedroom into a bedroom and I put up a sheet of plywood on some metal legs for the mattress.  However, after 2 seasons it started giving way so I need to build something sturdier before next season.  Hence the reason I wouldn't mind upgrading our mattress in the process.

fishon71 said:
I'm 6'2" and found that a RV queen bed in at least the older models is 74"L X 60W" and they call this a queen when a queen really measures 80" X 60".  I'm just about ready yo pass on a good deal because of this but was also considering doing a modification to extend the platform by six inches and buy a new queen std mattress.

We put a 60" x 80" Select Comfort mattress in our Wanderlodge, replacing the original 60" x 73" mattress. I have to squeeze a little to get around the foot of the bed to my side but this mattress is worth it. My husband is 6'2", too. Works for us.

Hope this helps,
Liz

Sounds like a plan - if I want 80" on an older machine I will need to do so mods. Nice thing is I already have the Select Comfort mattress and I'm a jack of all trades so it should not be a problem to retrofit. Will be taking this machine for a test run today and final inspection, as well as final offer.

When we had a coach with the short queen, we just added a chunk of foam at the top of the bed and slid the mattress down about 5" and let it hang over the foot. The mattress was rigid enough to be self supporting over that short distance - no wood extension needed - and the sheets were long enough to still tuck underneath.  I did have to replace the bed struts with  heavier duty ones to lift the extra weight at the bottom end.

Back
Top Bottom