Dirty awning?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

strummin67

I have a Transawn 2000 model with yellow and white stripes. It's in good shape but it's pretty dirty. I've scrubbed it with soap and water but I don't see much improvement. Should I replace the material, get a better cleaning solution or get a new awning altogether?

If you use the search function, I'm sure you will find many choice solutions as to what people use.  I've used a strong detergent with a bit of bleach and a brush.  It seems to work for me, but there are several others who have posted their own favourites.

Our friends had the same issue then following this procedure which worked beautifully. After washing it with cleeaner they mixed 1 cup of bleach with water, covered the whole thing with a garden sprayer, rolled it up for 30 minutes, rolled back out and rinsed throughly (may have washed again, not sure). There's is vinyl not acrylic. Brightened and removed stains.

The Transawn was used primarily on VW busses.  Is that what you have? What type of fabric is it?

You can use bleach, strong detergents and a stiff bristly brush on vinyl awnings, but they will weaken the fabric if it is acrylic.  As Dar says, wetting the vinyl with the bleach & detergent solution and then rolling it up to soak for 30-40 minutes is one good technique.

You can also use alcohol or mineral spirits on vinyl to remove tree sap and other stains, but it doesn't do much for acrylic fabric because the  gunk is down in the weave..

Dar said:
Our friends had the same issue then following this procedure which worked beautifully. After washing it with cleeaner they mixed 1 cup of bleach with water, covered the whole thing with a garden sprayer, rolled it up for 30 minutes, rolled back out and rinsed throughly (may have washed again, not sure). There's is vinyl not acrylic. Brightened and removed stains.
This method worked great for us as well. Didn't even need to scrub, just hosed it off!

I sprayed Tilex mildew remover on ours and let it sit then rinsed it off and still had a couple of tough spots there but most were gone so I sprayed the remaining spots again and let it sit awhile then rubbed with a soft brush and they were all gone.  Tilex with mildew remover for me from now on.

Thanks for the replies so far. The awning fabric appears to be a vinyl coated canvas. I'll try the Tilex. I'm sure we have some in the house. RV Roamer, I have a '74 Field & Stream with a Dodge chassis.

A word of warning...  try not to be directly under where you are scrubbing the awning.  These detergents are potent.
Wear goggles or even a face shield

I got chemical in my eye last summer - Hurt like hell  :'(!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My eye was red for a week

Jason

Hey guys.
I tried cleaning the awning this afternoon. The top portion was relatively easy. Went over it a few times and most of the crud came off. The underside was going to be fun while trying to keep the bleach/soap mixture from running down my arms and out of my eyes. I started working on it and then got this great idea that I stretch it over the roof and clean the underside that way. Well before any of that could happen one of the support arm shaft adjustment knobs literally crumbled in my hand The other one broke in half and that's when I just decided to call it quits.

I don't know if I can find parts for something this old. I think I'll just not use it.

Update.
I found thumbscrews at my local chain home improvement store to secure the awning arms and finished the underside.
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l32/strummin67/74%20Field%20and%20Stream/awning1.jpg
http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l32/strummin67/74%20Field%20and%20Stream/cleaningtheunderside.jpg
This is how dirty it was.

Back
Top Bottom