New Travel Trailer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2ndTime

We are i n the market for a new TT and are particularly interested in the Sunline Solaris T-2553.
This TT has an overall length of 26' 4".  Dry weight (with options) is 4990#.  Hitch weight is 715#.  I figure on a payload not to exceed 1000#, bringing total TT weight to 5990#.

My TV is a 2005 Ford F-150 (5.4 V8, 3.73 rear end) with a curb weight (with full gas tank) of 5230#.  GWR for the TV is 7050#.  The max trailer weight it is rated for is 8100# and CGWR is 13500#.

It looks to me like this is a workable combination, but would appreciate any advice or comments from the experts.

I would also appreciate any comments relative to Sunline TTs and the T-2553 in particular.  I've  been impressed with their apparent quality, but have never towed or owned one.

I plan to use either an Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam WD/AS hitch, but still not sure which.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

2nd- I have the 05 150 supercrew, 5.4, 3.73, w/tow package.  It tows 9,200.  My trailer dry is just about what yours would be, 5,020.  If your max tow weight is 7050, in my opinion - you'd be pushing it.  Mine really works on the hills, but does fine on flat land.  I would try to find a trailer a little lighter.

FX-
My F150 is rated similar to yours.  It tows 9000.  The truck weight is rated at 7050.  However, if yours struggles on the hills I am guessing I would have a similar experience.  Thanks for your response.

2nd - Sorry, I was reading your post too fast.  I was thinking you could only tow 7050.  Now that I'm clear on things...you should be OK.  I really don't have any big complaints..  I think we can all expect any 1/2 ton to slow a bit on hills when pulling 6,000 lbs.

2nd,
We tow a 26 footer that weighs 5200lbs at the scale. Originally we pulled it with a 1/2 ton Dodge with a 5.9L gasser and auto trans. 4wd truck with the big rear-ends and it towed great. We could cruise past anything but a gas station. (That part was ugly but hey, it's my toy and I'll play with it if I want). I would have to remind my wife that 75 was a little too fast for what we were dragging. We have since bought a Dodge 1ton diesel in preparation for a new toy and it doesn't know that the trailer is there.
You should be OK dragging your trailer with that truck.
Q

quasi-
Thanks for the info.  I like your tag....particularly the "...never too late to have a happy childhood."  It looks like I can safely tow the proposed rig, altough the trend is toward the F-250s and Ram 2500s for that size.  I bought the truck before really thinking about gettingf back in TT camping.  Initially was looking at some models with slideouts but they were definitely too heavy.

It looks to me like this is a workable combination, but would appreciate any advice or comments from the experts.

Looks cool to me, and I am the guy who likes the idea of 20% headroom in the tow rating v. trailer weight.

I would also appreciate any comments relative to Sunline TTs and the T-2553 in particular.? I've? been impressed with their apparent quality, but have never towed or owned one.

My standard mantra:? ?A trailer is just a simple box on wheels with some standard industry appliances (Dometic, Suburban, etc..) installed that are covered by their own warranties, and some cabinet work of varying quality.? ?If you like what you see in the floor plan and visible fit and finish you are OK.? ?You will find yourself invariably doing some post-purchase tidying up but that is mostly screwdriver and pliers work.

I plan to use either an Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual Cam WD/AS hitch, but still not sure which.

Both are essentially identical.? Reese was the originator.? Either their patent has run out or they have licensed to Equalizer.? ?I have a 15 year old Reese Dual Cam system.? It has worked perfectly on two travel trailers (29'and 23'), two tow vehicles, and one boat trailer (which is a story in itself).? ?That is quality in my opinion.

2nd,
I'd hold off looking at the 3/4 or 1 ton TV's right now. You have enough truck for the trailer you bought and, as ayone here will tell you, this is probably NOT the last trailer you'll buy. So, I'd stick with what you have and when you look at that gorgeous triple slide or the toy hauler that would let you bring all your other goodies...........
Q

Hi,  First post here.  I have the 2006 2553 Sunline and pull it with a 2500HD 6.0liter 4x4 ext cab.  It pulls that trailer well.  The sunline is a heavy unit, but made very well.  It is a little more rounded and lower than my last unit.  I am getting a little better mileage pulling it due to the lower stance and rounded front even though it is heavier.  My tongue weight was right around 915 and the camper was heavier than I expected by 400 lbs.  This is taking it over the scale on the way home from picking it up.  Get the 1200lb bars for your trailer set-up.  I had the 800lb and they were not heavy enough.  Once you go Sunline, you never go back!  Awesome unit, great quality and classic look. 
I would not feel comfortable towing my unit with a half ton, but we regularly visit the Adirondacks and are very hilly wherever we go.  We expect this to last us 20+ years until we retire.  Really love it.

shelbyd said:
? My tongue weight was right around 915 and the camper was heavier than I expected by 400 lbs.? This is taking it over the scale on the way home from picking it up.? Get the 1200lb bars for your trailer set-up.? I had the 800lb and they were not heavy enough.?

Shelbyd-
Thanks for the info!? Hurricane Wilma hit us pretty hard here in the West Palm Beach area, so this is the first time I have been able to get "online" since the Hurricane hit on October 24.? You mentioned weighing the TT on the way home from picking it up and the tongue weight was 915.? I assume that this was with no load since you just picked it up.? They (Sunline) state a tongue weight of 715, so that is quite a difference.? Also 400 lbs heavier than "expected" is quite significant.

Do you by any chance have the "Rubber Ride Suspension" or the "Ladder with 8' Roof Rack"?? I am considering both of those options.? I will go with with the 1200 lb. bars since the tongue weight can easily exceed the 800 lbs.

Geoff

I used to live in upstate NY so very familiar with the Adirondacks.....don't have any immediate plans to pull in that area.

Trailer tongue weight can vary dramatically with the loading, especially water. If any of the water tanks are behind the trailer axles, then adding water actually removes weight from the tongue.

You don't necessarily need bars equal to the whole tongue weight because you do not need to shift the entire tongue weight off the hitch. In fact, you want some of the weight there.  Your spring bars need to be heavy enough to level out the ride height of the tow vehicle, so that is sits level with the trailer atached.

Extra heavy bars are OK, though. You simply don't pull them up as tight when their extra capacity is not needed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom