Don't want a Ford; do we really want a B?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldedit

Cross posting on Yahoo groups for Roadtrek.

We've been test driving Roadtreks, Pleasure-Ways and a used Coach House.

We're looking for something to drive on weekends and on 3, 4 and 8-week trips. We don't think we'll be parkers or hang out in one place much. I started out thinking a 26-ft C would be nice. DW started out thinking a 19-ft. B would do the trick. We're kinda at the 21- 24-ft B and B+ point now.

Initial conclusions, impressions:

We don't like Fords. I drove the P-W Excel up I-70 into the mountains yesterday, and it was scary above 65 mph. Maybe it was out of alignment, but it just did not feel safe. DW found there was little leg and foot space for the passenger riding shotgun. Fords are out, which limits us a lot.

We both like the P-W Ascent Mercedes on the Dodge Sprinter. It's short, which means little storage, and the bed's a bit short for me. We like the P-W beds much better than Roadtrek's and need to figure out how we would solve the latter's hard bed problem. The Ascent pured right up the mountain at 70 mph and took the curves well. It has no pickup on big hills at 60 mph +. Be sure to read the reviews of the Mercedes Sprinter vans in the current issue of Truck Trend mags at your supermarket's news stand now. Good reading while you're waiting for a prescription to be filled.

DW likes the P-W Excel floor plan much better than the Roadtrek 210. I'm kinda neutral. But I was very surprised at how comfortable I was when driving the 210 Chevy, as surprised as I was at how unsteady I felt in the Excel Ford.

I was dismayed to see some of the pinstriping decals on the brand new 210 fraying. Quality?

The 210 beats most other Bs on storage. It's heavy, low mpg. Compromises and tradeoffs abound.

We love the 2007 Coach House. It's a little pricy, and we won't buy it because it's a
Ford, as noted above.

We also like the Roadtrek Adventurous, which is a Freightliner with a Mercedes. It's long, has good inside storage but no outside storage. Slower than the P-W Ascent on the mountains because of the weight difference. Not as parkable as the Ascent. Good sized bed, but still a Roadtrek bed, which doesn't impress.

I'm a bit afraid of the Dodge Sprinter Mercedes, because I've been told that Mercedes engineered for cost more than quality. Can't verify, but the source is good, I think. More important, I worry about whether Chrysler will be in business for long and whether it will support the Sprinter. Also, Mercedes service probably is more expensive and harder to access than Chevy or Ford?

I've also been interested in the Born Free Cs. But they are Fords, and they are built for light and short youngsters who don't mind sharing narrow and short beds.

So, I think, we'll shop the used market and try some Cs in the hope of finding a better bed and good driveability. The Coachmen Prism 240 with the rear slide out looks interesting, but there aren't many used ones on the market, yet.

Thoughts?

Please understand that I wanted to buy Ford because it's owned by investors, not the U.S. government. But politics won't influence this decision, because our safety and comfort are at stake.

I'd drive another Ford before I ruled them out. I'm mostly a GM guy myself, but don't think the Ford "problem" you experienced is endemic to Ford chassis coaches. On the other hand, maybe the Ford van chassis is overloaded with even that much coach on it. Anyway, give another model a try before you rule them out.

I hear you. It's not just the driveability. It's also the lack of leg room for the passenger, which often is me.

Yeah, the leg room is a problem and not likely to differ much among brands and models. A pick-up truck based RV will be better in that regard, but that puts you into a B+ or a C and often a larger one as well.

Sounds like the Sprinter based models are the ones for you.

Have you looked at the Winnebago ERA?  Here is their website.  While we were in Canada, a couple from Minnesota parked behind us with one.  They loved theirs.  They were on an 8 week trip and had been consistently getting 20+ mpg.  They were happy with the interior and had a couple of little problems with things such as hot water heater and a sink drain problem, but they were easy fixes.  I didn't ask them how it handled on steep grades like we have out here in the West, but they seemed pleased with the engine performance.

Marsha~

I'm thinking a 4x4 Chevy P-W or Roadtrek is what would work for us. It doesn't make sense to be without 4x4 out here.

Just watched an eBay auction for a 2007 4x4 Popular 190 close on eBay. High bid was $40,100. Only 8 bidders, and only 2 or 3 in the last couple of days. Looking at completed listings, it's clear there is little demand for Bs these days. A new 2009 Adventurous went for almost $90k, which seems high. With unemployment at 10.2% and Congress working on health bills that will put us even deeper in the tank, I'm expecting lower prices and can wait.

I went with the Roadtrek Adventurous. Yes, the bed isn't as nice, but I figure some nice cap type bedding will work just fine. I'm not a picky sleeper anyway, though.

Roadtrek has the mid seats and that was important to me. It's my wife, my 4 month old and me. So, we need the extra seat, (although the Roadtrek does not have the LATCH system for kids seats installed).

Took said wife, child and mother in law for a day trip. Worked out great, so I am sold even before camping.

This unit seems to have almost enough motor for me. I am doing a chip enhancement, however. I am also doing some suspension work as well to relieve the inherent sway in these vehicles.

22MPG. This is a good choice. If you don't need the extra seats, go Pleasure Way. They are good folks too and I know a a rep if you need a contact.

BTW...

The Sprinters seem to be holding their value the best of all RVs at the moment.

Oldedit said:
I'm thinking a 4x4 Chevy P-W or Roadtrek is what would work for us. It doesn't make sense to be without 4x4 out here.

Just watched an eBay auction for a 2007 4x4 Popular 190 close on eBay. High bid was $40,100. Only 8 bidders, and only 2 or 3 in the last couple of days. Looking at completed listings, it's clear there is little demand for Bs these days. A new 2009 Adventurous went for almost $90k, which seems high. With unemployment at 10.2% and Congress working on health bills that will put us even deeper in the tank, I'm expecting lower prices and can wait.

Oldedit said:
I hear you. It's not just the driveability. It's also the lack of leg room for the passenger, which often is me.

Have you tried an Express Cutaway? We both find it to be the most comfy vehicle we ever been in (for driver and passenger) and I am long legged. And it rides great in all conditions we've been in so far.

Seems what I have is what you want (see below). But I am keeping mine!

BTW, I too tried to stay away from the Fords. And did, but I would consider the slightly older ones with the 460 (if MPFI). I mainly just didn't want a small, high revving, thirsty  V10.

-Don- Reno, NV​

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom