Black Tank Sensor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimlaurielucy

WE have a 2007 Winnabago Spirit 32 ft H.  The black tank sensor is not reading correctly.  Is this sensor in the tank or outside. Any solutions other than the old ice cubes inthe toliet tricks. 

Winnie switched over to external sensors about 2004 or so.  Having the external sensors not read properly is not exactly unusual; my gray tank level has been stuck on 2/3rds full for a couple of months.  Something easy to try is to fill your tank up full and let it set for as long as possible.  You can try Simple Green or one of the many RV products on the market in your tanks - no idea how effective those are.

Also, we have found the sensors do best if you only drain your tanks when they are full.  We don't like to haul around 100 gallons of black/gray, so we often violate our rule.  But when you are in one place for a while, let the tanks fill up.

One additional thought - if you have a black tank flusher, you can use it to fill the black tank all the way.  (Or buy about five cases of really cheap beer  ;) )

The sensors on my 2005 are outside the tanks.  In my case the fresh water and the black tank have been stuck on "full" for about 2 years.  The gray water sensors and display monitor work correctly.  I can reach the fresh water tank sensors fairly easy.  There are 3 sensors stuck to the outside of the tank.  They appear to be ganged together and plugged into one wire which goes back to the display panel inside the coach.  When I unplug the sensor leads from the display panel wire, the display changes from showing "Full" to "Empty", so it appears to me the sensors are the culprit here, the display unit seems to work. 

Winnebago has a webpage with a brief overview of the sensors on their Truelevel holding tank monitoring system.  The sensors are identified as Mirus detector cells.  I've tried off and on to find an online dealer who might sell the sensors separately but so far I've only found places that sell the whole monitoring unit.  I get frustrated with it and give up as this is not a high priority for me.  I don't want to replace the monitor, but I would like to try and fix them by replacing the sensors just to see if it works.

Don and Gloria said:
I don't want to replace the monitor, but I would like to try and fix them by replacing the sensors just to see if it works.

If you manage to 'fix' the problem, you will still have what I think is a marginal system.

Not really a Winnie-specific issue, as we've all experienced this - my black tank sensor has the same problem.  I've read positive reports of using a Rid-X (or similar septic product) treatment, to eat the sludge off the insides of your black tank and clear up the sensors.  Haven't tried it yet myself, but I plan to do so in the Spring.  The downside of any black tank "cleaning" is that it won't take long for it to get dirty and gunked up again.

My black tank usually reads 2/3 full. I finally got it to read 1/3 full (at least for a little while).  Use plenty of water in the black tank and that should help.

ms911 said:
Use plenty of water in the black tank and that should help.

Bingo!

Actually, having a generally wonky tank monitoring system usually isn't a big issue if your camping style is full-hookup centric.  Boondocking is an entirely different matter - then an accurate and more precise system is needed.

John Canfield said:
Bingo!

Actually, having a generally wonky tank monitoring system usually isn't a big issue if your camping style is full-hookup centric.  Boondocking is an entirely different matter - then an accurate and more precise system is needed.

We have the issue with our gray water tank, stuck at 2/3 full even when empty and have always flushed and maintained it well.

There has to be a better way.

The tank monitor system the Winnie uses, and continues to use, is the weakest part of the whole coach.  The measure in 1/3s system is nearly useless.  For instance, if you are dry camping and your fresh water tank falls below 1/3, you either have 29 gallons, or 1.  That could be kinda important if you need to use the restroom.  The same when filling the grey and black tanks.  You are either at 3/4 with lots of room left, or full with 1 gallon left.  Note* if the DW is in the shower and it starts backing up into the shower pan, you will INSTANTLY know the tank level.  ::)

Do yourself a favor, replace the sensor system with a more accurate system as John indicates.  One of the best mods you will ever make........

Sarge

My black tank (2006) Voyage also has a LOT of bad readings. It has the outside sensors. They work on capacitance like a wall stud finder.  The tank has the flush out fitting but that only seems to make the red full one work. The other lights say full when empty. They need more R&D on this product. Art

I installed a SeeLevel II system on my 06 Journey to monitor the black and gray tank levels. It shows % level so no guessing. It is a fairly easy installation. A good description was posted by StephenG on 3/19/09 in the rv Forum. The web site for SeeLevel is www.rvguage.com.     www.rvgauge.com

Back
Top Bottom