Updates on Mexico as far as San Carlos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

taoshum

When I read the Forum posts on Mx there were quite a few that were very negative but there haven't been many in 2009.  Have "things" improved or has everyone stopped going?

I went to Baja, all the way to Todos Santos last March and everything was fine... in fact there are hardly any tourists... mostly a few folks on motorcycles like us but the motels and restaurants were pretty empty.  Once we got 100 miles south of the border I didn't bother to even lock up my helmet.

Now we are talking about going to San Carlos for a few weeks in a few weeks.  Again, get up early and get 100 miles South of the border, then relax and have a great time is what the state department says.  I guess the drug cartels sleep in until mid afternoon. 

Does anyone know if we can skip the RV vehicle registration for Sonora as far as San Carlos but register the toad so we can do a day trip to Alamos?

We plan to get insurance thru Costco as they have lower prices than anyone else, as far as I know...?

One more Q, if we cut over on Hiway 2 to avoid the Nogales US customs, does that work better?  Is the hiway ok?

thanks, G.

All I can tall you is that in March/April/May while we were sauntering across the I10 over to Texas, then north, we encountered several Canadian snowbirds who were making their way home from having wintered in Mexico.  Everyone of then said what you said, 100 miles south of the border and it is a different world, none of them said they had any negatives, in fact each were very positive about their experiences.
    It may be second hand, but hopefully this give you some further insight.

The problem mostly pertains to the border cities and the metropolitan areas of the big cities. small towns are usually calm specially those with little tourism traffic.

We didn't know Costco had Mexican insurance coverage.

Check with your American insurance company to see if they will cover you in Mexico for collision only.  The reason is that Mexican insurance says you must have collision damage repaired in Mexico.  For example our motorhome's collsion coverage will pay for repairs in Mexico so the coach can be driven out, or it can be towed out without repairs and repaired in the U.S.  We like having that choice because you don't know what might be damaged.

If yours is similar, then you only need to buy property damage and public liability for the other car and people.  This is what is mandatory by law when you're in Mexico.  You are not required to have collision damage coverage for your own vehicle.  Furthermore, it will reduce your cost of Mexican insurance by as much as 75-90 percent because you won't be taking collision damage for your own vehicle.  On the other hand, your American insurance policy may charge you for the Mexican coverage.  When we "used to" go there, Mexican coverage came in two flavors:  Coverage in the Mexican states close to the border and for more cost coverage throughout the entire country for collision damage.

We've always gotten ours through Sanborn which is in most of the border towns.  Sanborns has been around for years and is reputable.  Some years back the property damage and personal liability insurance costs were almost equal for three months or one year, so you might take the one year coverage if you think you'll return again within a year.

ArdaF

Crossing into Mexico from Nogales, with a MH, DO NOT try and do this through the town of Nogales. On your approach, coming from Tucson on I-19, follow the sign fro the Mariposa Crossing (Truck Crossing) It is relatively fast and efficient and the Border Crossing in Nogales is not big enough to handle your rig and tow vehicle.

You need comprehensive insurance, which includes liability, for Mexico.

Going to San Carlos, you do not need any paperwork for your vehicles. This part of Senora is part of the Free Zone. However, you have to stay on the main roads. For your side trip to Alamos you are going to need the paperwork, which can be obtained at a special stop point South of Guaymas. It is faster and more efficient this way.

Mariekie

taoshum said:
When I read the Forum posts on Mx there were quite a few that were very negative but there haven't been many in 2009.  Have "things" improved or has everyone stopped going?

Check the M3 Report . The M3 Report is published five days/week. Todays activity is relatively calm; check the last week or so for addition information on the criminal activity in Mexico (see calendar on right side of the home page). I have stopped posting significant events on the RVForum since I have posted the link to the M3 Report several times before and figure that anyone interested and check the site for themselves. 

The comment about not crossing at Nogales has me concerned.  We are hoping to cross through Nogales in our 30 ft MH in about a month's time.  You think it will be too busy and not equipped for MHs??  I thought I had heard of many MHs going through the Nogales crossing.

Janina

You CAN NOT cross with a 30 ft MH at the border crossing in Nogales. You have to cross at the Mariposa Crossing -- it is so much easier as well and the best part is, you avoid driving through town. Heck, I would certainly do anything to avoid driving through the town.

Just follow my instructions as posted earlier and you will be fine.

Mariekie from Tucson. 

we just crossed into Mx this morning at the Mariposa crossing and it was really easy, thank goodness.  tonight we are in Hermisillio, nice little rv park just north of town.  we went to CostCo just to compare it to the ones in Abq, NM.  similar but distinctively local and I think the prices are actually higher than the US.

San Carlos tomorrow.

BTW: we stayed at the Beaudry RV park two nites, $45/night plus $5 for wifi.  nice but noisy and expensive.

Taoshun,
Enjoy San Carlos. But be aware the last hurricane did quite a bit of road damage.
Which park do you plan on staying at? We like Totonaka, across from Charley's Rock. The owner speaks very good English and their wi-fi is excellent.

For a great Margarita go to Charlie's Rock and watch the sunset -- what an incredible view!

Mariekie

mariekie said:
Taoshun,
Enjoy San Carlos. But be aware the last hurricane did quite a bit of road damage.
Which park do you plan on staying at? We like Totonaka, across from Charley's Rock. The owner speaks very good English and their wi-fi is excellent.

For a great Margarita go to Charlie's Rock and watch the sunset -- what an incredible view!

Mariekie

That's where we plan to stay.  BTW: is propane available there?  thanks

As far as I know, not in the park itself. Yet the owner should get a supplier. They usually come around with their propane trucks and fill it right there in the park, at your site.

Mariekie

We arrived in Totonaka safe and sound, well, sorta sound.  Camp ground is about 1/2 full, ocean is beautiful, people are friendly, Directv Satellite dish is working fine, Sirius Sat radio is also fine, voltage seems a little high at 132 (worry, worry) but when I turn on a load it drops to 128.  Wifi is excellent.  Dogs are adjusting to small spaces.  We drove the Jeep around town for a few minutes and looked at the marina/harbor.  Tecate Time.

I guess that little skiff of snow didn't stop you from getting out of NM. Enjoy Mexico.

Wendy

Wendy said:
I guess that little skiff of snow didn't stop you from getting out of NM. Enjoy Mexico.

Wendy

Hello Wendy,
No, we got out while it was sunny.  In fact that snow melted a few days later, it snowed again, that melted, so we left.  Now I see that Taos got up to 60 today, go figure.  Now if it will hold until we get back...?  thanks, G.

How has San Carlos recovered from the Hurricane? We get very conflicting reports.

BTW -- By Mexican standards for RV Parks, the services are quite good at Totonaka.

Mariekie

mariekie said:
How has San Carlos recovered from the Hurricane? We get very conflicting reports.

I've never been here before so I don't know how it was before... but, I can see quite a bit of damage to the roads that are being repaired, hiway 15 is ok except for about 2 km just north of the SC turnoff.  The roads in SC are all two lanes in the low lying areas where they used to be 4 lanes.  There is still quite a bit of "debris" around that is getting cleaned up.  The harbor/marina seems unaffected which surprised me.  We were in Port Isabel, Tx about 6 mo after they had a Hurricane and there was much more damage evident there than here.  The buildings seem to be ok, the RV park probably took a while to dry out but now it seems ok, i.e., roads, pool and grounds.  We will know more after a few days of exploring.  There is no reason to avoid SC, IMHO.

Taoshun,
Thank you for the report.

BTW the busy time in SC is from January through March. Specially during March, when all the Canadians are on the big trek back to Canada, coming from further down south! Staying in Totonaka during March, feels as if you are somewhere in Quebec, being surrounded with all the French speakers!

Have fun and be sure to do the Ecological Tour, by boat. Another interesting place to visit is the Pearl Farm in Guyamas. It is interesting and very educational as well. They cultivate the most amazing grey and black pearls there.  Just hang on to your wallet! -- No bartering there!

Do you plan on a day visit to Alamos? If so, I can give you some hints. It is well worth the drive.

Mariekie

Yes, we are going to Alamos, for at least a day.  Maybe early next week?  Would it be better on the weekend or a weekday?  Thanks for the other tips about SC.  I hope, for the sake of SC, that business picks up because the restaurants and hotels are empty, in fact, on the road to Guaymas today there is a large hotel/development that is closed and Su Vende.

thanks, G&C.

For driving and ease of getting your permit, your best choice for Alamos would be a weekday. Please check out the road conditions at Empalme -- they were hit very hard by that hurricane! The road between Navajoa and Alamos is excellent, with good reason.......it is brand new!

Be sure to do the Hometour in Alamos. The charge is only $10.00 and worth it. The money goes towards education, for the local school children. For the museum and Hometour you go to the main Plaza. Remember this is an old Colonial town and the streets are VERY narrow, just go slowly.

Mariekie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom