Water in storage killing gennie & Slides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriadThinker

I know people like details and I'm sorry but I'm pretty short on them. I have a new 2009 Access 31N and we're about to take it on its first trip. This weekend I'm loading it up and fire up the generator. It turns over but won't catch. I go out and prime it and still no luck. I tried to put out the slides to make the bed but they won't move either. (all of this worked last weekend when we made a day trip) I open up a storage compartment by the door and it's filled with water. It's the door in the red box in the picture right under the water heater access. The inside wall of that compartment says that there are relays and electronics behind an interior hatch. Had this not been under warranty I would have dried up the water and opened the inside hatch. I wanted to leave the water there for the repair people and left the electronics door closed because of said water. Is it possible water in this compartment killed the slides and the gennie? Cummins Generator was flashing a generic 3 times when it failed to start (service generator). Either way it's covered I just hope I get it back for the weekend.

Attachments

• outside-hl.JPG
    outside-hl.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 84
Nice looking unit!

I hate leaks (a passion from boating days when a leak could sink your boat), but I'll guess the dealer will get you squared away.  You'll probably have some new issues to deal with for a while.  For the minor gripes, keep a list for a few months and get them all tended to at one time.

Fresh water is a very poor conductor of electricity so your slide and genny  problem might not be related to the water accumulation.

The Onan might have a secondary code - I think you push the start/stop switch to the stop position one time and then it will flash two sequence of numbers (that's how my QuietDiesel works anyway).  It's in the manual at any rate.

Let us know what the problem resolution is for the leak and the slides not working.

Well, the good news is that it is covered by warranty.  If I were guessing I'd say that the water caused a short and you probably have a blown fuse for the sliders.  Not sure about the generator, but suspect that the water issue is related.  I would not think it will take long for the dealer to troubleshoot your problem and get it squared away.  (Assuming that they actually work the problem right away.)

Any way, good luck and hope you are back on the road soon.  ;)

Well the good news is that they ordered some new parts, which means it wasn't pure incompetence on my part! On another good note we should get it back tomorrow in time for our first adventure. When I pick it up I'll post what the issue was. In the mean time I'm now oddly nervous about the comedy of errors that will accompany our first overnight trip  ;D

You may have some frustrating experiences on your first trip, but after it's all over you and we can chuckle about it.  ;)  Just have fun and if there are problems we can straighten it  out later.

RV Roamer said:
You may have some frustrating experiences on your first trip, but after it's all over you and we can chuckle about it.  ;)  Just have fun and if there are problems we can straighten it  out later.

Shame on me for topic drift (but Gary started it), our very first camping experience was in our current Horizon.  The navigation program lead us to the address I entered, unfortunately that was miles wrong from where the campground was actually located.  Then we had a thunderstorm. I had no clue where the CG actually was located, but called the CG and found out it was miles behind us.  I drove for miles looking for a place to turn around.

Of course I needed a whole bunch more room to make a 180 turn then than I do now  :D

Like Gary said, they are funny and fond memories now!  Go and have fun!

Finally got it this AM. Turns out nothing was related to the other. The leaks were fixed with new D-Seals. The slides were dead because of a bad actuator. The generator was felled by a bad fuel pump. The fuel pump must be replaced by Cummins and not by the Winnie authorized people because it's under warranty. The generator doesn't work but we'll be at a KOA with full hook ups. We'll be off soon once the fridge is cool. Now I'll mosey over to the "trips" board and post my comedy of errors. Thanks folks!

That is (relatively) good news!  You are off on your first trip.  It is amazing that the three incidents that you experienced all at the same time were unrelated.  I guess Murphy's law was working overtime.  :mad:

Glad they are getting it all squared away.  Hope you have fun on your trip!  :D

Excellent!  Thanks for the follow-up report!

We have been to a few different Cummins/Onan dealers in different states and I have been impressed in every case with their operation.  Fast, efficient, clean, orderly, and usually good hookups.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nativoacai
Back
Top Bottom