Would You Buy a Fulltimer's Rig?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Depends on what kind of housekeeper they were, mainly.  I have seen quality units in pristine condition, and if they were a fulltimer, probably most of the maintenance issues have been delt with and stuff works.

I am third owner of this rig, and the first two did not full time.  First owner was competent, and the second did not have a mechanical cell in their body - BUT, they had it serviced every two months by professionals, so important stuff like lube, oil, filters, belts, hoses, etc were in good shape.  Because they did not live in it full time,  the batteries were flat, water pump full of junk, water faucets  full of minerals, commode valve needed cleaning and lubing, little stuff like that that I could do.

I have been full timing a year, and when I get the rest of the interior wood oiled, it will be a unit anyone would want.  Everything finally works.  I love my coach.

My primary area of attention would be wear and tear on furniture, upholstery, bedding, carpet.  If the price is right, all of that can be redone to the taste of the purchaser and you would have an updated interior.

I agree with the other posters.  I have full timed in my rig, and will again in a few weeks.  Every little detail that needs attention is handled promptly.  If not, they get to be BIG issues.  You can often tell by close inspection of the unit if it has been taken care of.  And being a DP, the more you run it, the better they like it.  Check it over good, but don't be afraid to buy it if it checks out.  MANY more problems arise from a rig that sits for long periods of time.

Sarge

I also agree with the other posters. Like John said, wear and tear on furniture, upholstery, etc. may need some attention but that is easy to fix. More importantly is the drive train and running gear. I think a MH that has sit for long periods of time may have more problems than one that has been full timed in. As Sarge said, "a DP, the more you run it, the better they like it."

But then what kind of "full timing" did they do. Some people live in their MH full time but very seldom go any where.

I think that in general fulltimers and longtimers take better care of maintenance, both preventive and repairs and that's a plus. [That's "in general" and not 100%. I know of one fulltimer whose rig I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.]

While not a DP, the original owner of my motorhome full-timed in it.  We have experienced a bit of this:

John Canfield said:
...wear and tear on furniture, upholstery, bedding, carpet.  If the price is right, all of that can be redone to the taste of the purchaser and you would have an updated interior.

He had removed the bed and built a closet of sorts into the rear bedroom, which we removed to restore its sleeping room status.  He slept full time on the jackknife couch, so it is quite worn from several years of an adult's weight on it night after night.  The front living area carpet is quite worn too, but all of the above we plan to eventually replace.  We also got some upgrades out of the deal, like the Banks system which was added by that owner and otherwise would not have been factory installed.  The price WAS right and as John said we'll get the rig just the way we want it when it's all said and done.  But as already mentioned, a fulltimer's rig will never automatically be better or worse than a weekend/vacationer's rig.  All depends on how the previous owners' maintained it.

Thank you all for your prompt and insightful comments. I must make this confession, that I am that fulltimer, not a buyer. My wife and I have put our Navigator on the market and as soon as we fess up to living in the coach full time we are met with dead air. I KNOW the care and attention we invest in our coaches longevity, but folks generally are turned off by the fulltime status of this coach. I know they imagine the worst. We are at a definite disadvantage trying to convince them this is still a desirable coach.
So, thank you for reassuring me that we are not RV lepers. We will press on, realizing we just need to work harder at convincing potential buyers about the value available to them. But in the meantime I am going to follow your advice and get this DP out for regular "walks".....cause that's what it is made for. Thanks again, Gene.

I'm assuming that the potential buyer "dead air" you mention is with inquiries over the phone or internet?  If that's the case and the simple information regarding the rig's fulltime status is THAT big of a detractor to them, chances are they wouldn't be a serious buyer anyway.  That may not make you feel better since your goal is selling it.  ;)  But as a seller, you at least want buyers who are serious and will offer a fair amount based on its condition.

If you have ads placed, you might want to add a line like "must see to appreciate" or describe as "excellent" or "impeccable" where appropriate - buyers always like that sort of rhetoric, especially when they see upon personal inspection that it's true!

Just hang in there and the right buyer will come along.  It just may not be on your ideal time frame.  :)

Back
Top Bottom