Ultimate advantage door entry handle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LspTpr

while cleaning the UA, i knocked off a plastic button that was located at the top of my grab handle.  I had thought that it was a cover for a screw but turns out it is a push button for something, maybe a doorbell?  i pushed it several times but didnt hear anything or observe any lights flash (thought it might light up enty light).  Any idea what the button is?  A doorbell that dont work maybe?  Thanks.

Yep, that is the doorbell.  It is a wireless unit similar to what you can buy a Lowes, Home Depot, etc.  Now you need to find the receivers/noise makers inside the rig.  My '03 40e came with one receiver on the wall under the dining/computer table.  About 3 years after we bought the rig I found another receiver under the bottom drawer below the cooktop ...it did not have batteries in it.  I moved it to a new location under a drawer in a cabinet in the bedroom.  The receivers take D Cell batteries. I don't know if the button itself has a battery in it, but I would guess it has to.

Our button has stuck a few times ...last month someone rang the bell and it just kept going on and on and on. I had to pry the button out with a screw driver, then used some spray lube to keep it from sticking again.

Just to warn you ...these doorbells also go off on their own on rare occasions.  High tension power lines seem to do it. A neighbor with a similar door bell might set yours off when theirs is pushed.  And on two occasions our doorbell has gone off while we were driving through a stop-light controlled intersection !!

thanks for the reply and funny you should say that.  I only had UA since may and on our last trip (two weeks in AZ/NM) i kept telling my wife that i thought i could hear a bell sounding somewhere but could never figure out where it was coming from.  I guess she will not commit me to the hospital after all when i show her your post.  Thanks for the info, now i just gotta find wherever the other part is at.

If the doorbell button sticks it can cause your electric door locks to quit functioning via the key fob transmitter.  I spent a couple of months trying to figure out why my door locks quit working using the key fobs.  Finally found the doorbell button stuck. 

thanks for the info Kix cause another problem i have is the key fob does not work on the door/compartments when UA is set up for use.  BUT, if i press the battery disconnect switch to off, key fob works from 40 feet away.  ????????  That may be my problem, have to check it this weekend while on trip to florida.

If it is a doorbell button and you don't have a doorbell.. Just use some product to seal the hole.

I added a nifty doorbell to my rig.. I think I got it at a dollar store.. Uses either 2 C or D cell batteries and it's wired.. I snuck the wire through the door frame somehow (Without looking I can't say)

I don't think anybody but me has ever pushed the very clearly marked button though (Has a picture of a bell molded into it)  Works great.

John From Detroit said:
I don't think anybody but me has ever pushed the very clearly marked button though (Has a picture of a bell molded into it)  Works great.

LOL - I added a wireless doorbell to our Horizon a couple of years ago and I don't believe anybody ever picked up on its function - it was always a knock on the door.

Very strange setup.  I disconnected the doorbell (never knew it was there so figure, dont need) and now the key fobs work.  i use the fobs not the bell.  ;D

I disconnected the doorbell (never knew it was there so figure, dont need) and now the key fobs work.
How did you disconnect it?  I am guessing you did something other than remove bateries from the receiver(s)??  99.9% of the people who come to the door don't use the bell, so if "disconnect"ing it would cure the FOB problem, it would be worth it.

Another thought ...both the key FOB and the door bell work on RF signals. When I have installed these doorbells in a stick house, they came with instructions on how to change the frequency being used. My guess is these could be changed too ...the key would be how to change the freq on the button to match what you set in the receivers.
[edit]Fixed quote.[/edit]

thanks to KIX info i fixed the fob problem that winnabego and the maker of the door lock system couldnt help me with.  I made the fix permanent tho by removing the button from the handle and used some silicon sealant to instal a plastic cover over the hole.  Never could get it to work so i could find the bell thingy, seemed to only ding when i was driving.  Not sure if you can change the freq on the fob, i had tried to reset them per the instructions on the Winnabego tip site and all you can do is push a button on the box in the compartment and then the fob buttons.

Back
Top Bottom