Third brake light waterlogged...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afchap

While washing my rig this afternoon, as water was running down the rear cap I noticed the third brake light was filling with water?  After I finished washing, I removed it and found that the lens had separated from the body of the light all the way across the top. Like most others, mine has faded to a pale yellow color, but the LEDs glow bright red when lit.  I dried it out as best I could, and verified that it still works.  I will keep it inside for a couple of days to get the remainder of the moisture out of it, then reseal it with silicone caulk and then I plan to remount it upside down from the original position.  I had to do that earlier this year with a side marker light that was taking on water the same way. I resealed it a couple of times before finally turning it upside down and then having no further problems.

Paul - our original third brake light was replaced under warranty due to inop LEDs, and the same thing happened to the replacement.  I'll have to look closely to see if water ingress is the issue.

I replaced my fogged lens brake light with a universal model LED unit. It only took a little filing of the fiberglass and the installation looks great. Only $15..

Back
Top Bottom