Android platform phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveJodi

I live in a poor area for cell phone reception and this phone shows 3G most all the time, and I can even get wireless network off my router. I just purchased the new Droid and for the first day I am very happy with the reception. Does anyone else have any comments towards this phone?

Thanks, first time post... I really enjoy all the knowledge I have read on this site. Dave and Jodi

The reports on the Droid have been almost universally good, but it's nice to get a first hand report here.  It will probably be my next phone when my New Every 2 comes up next March.  Unless I can talk VZW into an early upgrade :)

Note that the Droid is a Smart Phone. That means VZW will require you to have the internet access package, same as a Blackberry.   Fine if you use it for emails or other online appls, but an extra $30/month cost if you don't..

I know I'll have to get the data plan, but I want that capability in my next phone.  Better than my current $2/MB data charges just to get my email :)

Ned said:
The reports on the Droid have been almost universally good, but it's nice to get a first hand report here.  It will probably be my next phone when my New Every 2 comes up next March.  Unless I can talk VZW into an early upgrade :)

No problem getting an early upgrade to the Droid.  They do require a few extra dollars but, the new every two date does not change.  :)

PhilB

My only quibble is with the tiny space allotted for apps...256 meg. I have over 30 apps on my iPhone+ the 12 built in ones. The reviewers say that 2 big apps can fill a droid up.

rhmahoney said:
My only quibble is with the tiny space allotted for apps...256 meg. I have over 30 apps on my iPhone+ the 12 built in ones. The reviewers say that 2 big apps can fill a droid up.

Russ:

Tell me you are seriously considering replacing your I-Phone? ;D ;D ;D

The Droid takes an microSD/microSDHC card so memory can be as big as you want it.

I did a little checking last night back can't find where the Droid lists VZAccess Manager.

"The Droid takes an microSD/microSDHC card so memory can be as big as you want it."

Yes but...the apps can only work from the built in memory, according to what I have read.

Jeff, no, just making a comment about the bizzare limitation of this phone.

The Droid has 256MB of memory just for the OS and another 512MB for applications.  See here for the specs.  I also understand that Google is working on making the SD card memory available for applications as well.

Jeff said:
I did a little checking last night back can't find where the Droid lists VZAccess Manager.

No VZAccess Manager yet, but, it does tether with "that other program."  I will let you know how it compares when I head back to Happy Trails in a couple of weeks.

Phil

rhmahoney said:
"The Droid takes an microSD/microSDHC card so memory can be as big as you want it."

Yes but...the apps can only work from the built in memory, according to what I have read.

Jeff, no, just making a comment about the bizzare limitation of this phone.

Russ,

You made the same statement about apps when I got my BlackBerry Storm.  After adding more than 2 dozen apps, there is no memory issue on the Storm.  It will be interesting to see what happens when I get 2 dozen apps on the Droid.  :)

phil

I have read one user report that said he loaded 30 apps and still had 85% of the available memory free.  Of course, those could be apps as useful (and as small) as the iPhone Flashlight :)

Phil, were you able to order the Droid online or did you have to call VZW?

Ned said:
I have read one user report that said he loaded 30 apps and still had 85% of the available memory free.  Of course, those could be apps as useful (and as small) as the iPhone Flashlight :)

Ned,

I confess, one of my apps is the BlackBerry Flashlight.  ;D

I did not try the online order process.  I called VZW.

Phil

Phil,

Just curious why you're switching from Storm to Droid. I'm about to pass on Droid, and I'm awaiting a call from our nearest Costco to let me know the Storm2 has arrived. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try both live alongside each other, although this particular wireless booth tends to have more dummy display models than working ones.

I had Chris ported over from T-mobile to VZ with a new phone recently, and I'll add me on the family plan if/when I get a phone, smart or otherwise.

rhmahoney said:

Russ,

The Apps actually are loaded onto the SD card. Only a small amount of the internal memory is used.

I picked up the DROID yesterday. Quite a learning curve as the manual is almost useless. There is a website where they supposedly have more instructions. At this point I'm not sure I will keep it. The biggest problem i have, other than cost, is it doesn't appear to be compatible with my hearing aids. I get a lot of hum. That doesn't happen with any other phone. I'll play around with it for a few days to see if anything improves. I have 30 days to return it at no charge.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom