Android platform phones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jim Dick said:
The Apps actually are loaded onto the SD card. Only a small amount of the internal memory is used.

iPod, iPhone users are not familiar with the concept of removable and replaceable SD cards -- or the ability to change a battery . . . :) ;)

Jim, what plan did you get for the Droid and what is the monthly cost?  The web site is a bit confusing, to say the least, as to what the various plans offer.

Ned,

We are still on our old plan, 400 anytime minutes shared. We just have to pay the additional $30/month for the media access. Any usage of Google, etc does not take away from the monthly minutes. I don't think texting is included but I don't do that anyway. :) The cost of the phone is high. Upgrading on the Internet is $150 but it's $200 at the store.

Tom said:
Just curious why you're switching from Storm to Droid.

I purchased a Samsung Omni earlier this year. My final decision was between a Storm and the Omnia. I found the Storm much harder to do data entry and edits. Doing an insertion point was almost impossible, e.g., having to backspace tons of characters to get to the one I wanted to edit. I also liked the Windows OS -- and ease of use of Word and Excel. The 30 day Vz test drive is very important -- as it takes days to figure a new Smartphone out. :mad: :)

The Omni has stylus, finger touch, AND a mouse cursor. At the time, I don't think any other SmartPhone had a mouse cursor. BTW, in the larger Vz store in Goodyear, the two sales folk I talked to had nothing nice to say about the Storm. Hopefully, they have improved it's functionality. It was their first entry into iPhone challenge market, so imagine that have done better with the newer model.

Interesting Bob. I might pop over to a VZ store, make a decision, then go shop at Costco.

I realize you're not an Apple fan but, if AT&T had better coverage, I might have opted for an iPhone.

Jim, thanks for the info.  I couldn't find any upgrade for existing customers on the web site so a call to 611 is in order.  Since I'm paying $5/month for email access now, the additional cost will only be $25 for the data plan, and I'll also save the $2/MB that I pay for data.

Ned,

Sounds like a win for you. :)

The upgrade was there when I checked the other day. In fact, they sent me a message that I was eligible for the upgrade.

I don't see it because my New Every 2 isn't up for another 4 months.

Called 611, had the CS rep walk me through the order.  I hung up too soon as on the last page it asks if I want a new phone number or to port a number from another carrier, no option to use my existing number.  Canceled out so now I have to start over again with 611.  They make it harder for existing customers to upgrade than for new customers to buy a phone :(

Tom said:
Phil,

Just curious why you're switching from Storm to Droid. I'm about to pass on Droid, and I'm awaiting a call from our nearest Costco to let me know the Storm2 has arrived. Hopefully I'll get a chance to try both live alongside each other, although this particular wireless booth tends to have more dummy display models than working ones.

I had Chris ported over from T-mobile to VZ with a new phone recently, and I'll add me on the family plan if/when I get a phone, smart or otherwise.

Tom,

Let's wait until my 30 days are up before we say I switched.  ;D

Phil

Phil,

Let me ask the question a different way ...

Why are you considering a switch to Droid? Are there any specific advantages of Droid vs Storm2?

I just received the awaited call letting me know the Storm2 is in, so I'd like to understand what I might be missing if I pass on the Droid.

TIA.

Tom said:
Interesting Bob. I might pop over to a VZ store, make a decision, then go shop at Costco.

I realize you're not an Apple fan but, if AT&T had better coverage, I might have opted for an iPhone.

Here's a Droid vs. Storm2 review video. The sound is not too good, but it should help out. The biggest OOPs I noticed was the speed of the Storm2. The reviewer goes on with the Droid each time while waiting for the Storm2 to catch up with each load.

http://www.cellaz.com/news/5084/video-motorola-droid-vs-blackberry-storm2/

Tom said:
Phil,

Let me ask the question a different way ...

Why are you considering a switch to Droid? Are there any specific advantages of Droid vs Storm2?

I just received the awaited call letting me know the Storm2 is in, so I'd like to understand what I might be missing if I pass on the Droid.

TIA.

Tom,

1. The Storm2 is high on my list if the Droid does not work out.

2. I want to see how Google Navigation compares to VZNavigator.

3. The Palm Pre and Iphone are not available on Verizon right now.

Phil

Ned:

What was the cost? When I tried the New Every Two online upgrade it was $200, the same as a new 2 year contract??? I guess that is what Jim was getting.

My source of info is the reviewer's comments. Mossberg, I think it was stated that only internal memory could be used to run apps.

My interest is only as a bystander as the iPhone is so great,

Sounds like phone companies have not learned they need to change. Glad I'm no longer associated with them!

After playing with the DROID for a day I think I might go back to a regular phone. It sure has a lot of features that are neat but, for my needs, they exceed my requirements. I'm sure those, like you, who have a need for the functions will find it valuable. Since my main use for a phone is to make calls and play Tetris while waiting for Pat I guess it's overkill. ;D

Jim:

My Verizon 6900 still treats data as a feature so I can turn it all on/off and every month I get the bill and ask myself exactly what was it that I needed data for this month. ::)

Thanks for the link Bob. I don't know what to make of the apparent browser issue on the Storm2; Can't believe they'd be able to sell a product that was that slow. I've been playing with an iPod (uses the Safari browser) hooked up via WiFi, and it's fast. But then it's WiFi via a router to a cable modem.

Phil, thanks for the rationale.

Jeff, since I wasn't eligible for a New Every 2 discount, I ordered over the phone.  The price was $299 and there is a mail in rebate for $100 so the price is the same as the NE2 or a new account.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom