Allison Transmission Tech Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Allisonman, I have a 2000 Journey with 275HP Cummins and Allison MT643, 4 speed trans.

I have been told that the Cummins could be upgraded to 300HP but that the MT643 can't handle the increased power. Is this correct and can anything be done. I can live with what I have but a little more power would be nice in hills.

You have more patience than me Gary. I deleted it.

Allisonman I'm going to take you up on your offer. I'm looking to diag some 1000/2000 Allisons.
I've got a small tranny shop in Denver and have been seeing quite a few Allisons lately.
If I order the Allison Doc software for 1000/2000 and the Dearborn DPA4 PLUS USB kit, will I be good to go?
I'll put the software on a laptop with XP.
Thanks
Billy
    you will be good to go for 90% of the medium duty 1000/2000 applications.  there is a special plug to connect to the Dearborn box for G.M. 4500's  that  do not have a 9-pin diagnostic plug.  it has an OBD2 plug on it.  it is a kentmoore part.  for pickup trucks you will need the J1850 interface box and the OBD2 connector for the J1850 box.    the dearborn DPA4 plus kit is designed for communicating down J1939 and J1587 comm harnesses found in medium and heavy duty trucks.  pickup trucks use OBD2 J1850. 

Allisonman, have you ever seen an Allison swapped in place of a TH400 behind a 454 Chevy? If so what does it take to complete the swap? What trans would you use?
J
      yes, Allison's were put behind the 454.  the AT545 was used.  the AT545 is a 4 speed, non-electronic trans.  4th gear is not overdrive though, so there would be no added fuel economy benefit over the TH400. the AT545 does not have a park pawl in the trans so you would have to rely on a parking brake to park the vehicle.  there is a bell housing adapter and the flywheel is different to install it.  this would be a fairly easy swap to accomplish if you could find all the parts.  the 1000 series trans has the same bolt pattern bell housing as the AT545 so physically it will bolt into its place.  the challenge in this swap would be making your own custom wiring harness for the trans, then you would have to find a program for this particular engine horsepower/torque combo for a TCM (Allison 1000/2000 computer).  someone with Allison DOC with reprogramming capability can do this.  then you would need to buy an Allison analog throttle position sensor(its a cable pull type) and connect it to your carburetor/throttle body linkage. then the TCM needs to be reprogrammed to change the throttle setting from a digital signal to an analog signal type.  this would be an extremely challenging swap but you would get the benefit of overdrive and a lockup torque convertor.    what are you trying to accomplish by installing an Allison?  if you're after more fuel economy then the 1000 series is what you would want.  if you want more durability over your TH400 and don't care about fuel mileage then the AT545 would be cheaper and easier.    there may be another option also.  the chevy 4L80E might be an option that would give you overdrive and a lockup convertor and bolt right up to your engine.  if you have a carb. engine then you will have to buy the aftermarket computer and wiring harness for it but it will be much cheaper than the 1000 series to install.

We have problem with Allison transmission on kenworth truck C500. At  first  the pump drive hub  and damaged ground sleeve  have been replaced. After installation of transmission we road tested the vehicle. We did only 60 KM and transmission failed. After disassembling of the transmission we found the C1 clutch completely burnt. The friction and reaction plates were stuck together. This happened three times to this transmission. The lube holes are cleaned. We don?t know why this happened three times to this transmission.
If anyone can help us to diagnose this problem will be highly appreciated. Thanks

Hello Allison man, just joined this forum so hope you are still active here. I have the 2005 M2 Business Class MDT with the 6 speed Allison, built 1/05. I had the fluid changed to TranSynd at 25K miles and filters changed again at 74K miles. The trany has started to slip when shifting from 2nd to 3rd esp. when towing. I can ease up on throttle when running solo and it is almost normal. Is this going to be big bucks or what other things can I check before biting the bullet and taking it in? Thanks for your expertice.

AllisonMan
I have a pertinent question on my 2000 series allison transmission in my diesel pusher.
My Cummins engine is rated at 275 HP and approximately 550 ft lb torque but can easily be turned up to 300 HP and around 625 ft lb torque which is only 25 hp but quite a bit more torque. The 2000 series transmission is rated at max torque something like 525 ft lb and that's from memory because it's been a few months since I looked into it.
My question is will this transmission take a little extra torque? If it's like everything else I've been involved with the rating is usually somewhat less than it will accommodate. What are your thoughts on this??

Thanks

Allisonman
I have a 1999 National Tradewinds Cat 3000hp 3126 engine and an Allison MD3000 series six speed tyranny. Occasionally, about four or five times a year when I start the engine the check transmission light does not go out and the transmission will not shift out of neutral. This has been happening on and off for three years no since I bought the coach. I found in the Allison documentation somewhere that if this happens turn off the engine and restart it. When I do that everything works fine, most of the time a couple times I have had to restart twice but I don't remember ever having to do it three times. Last time I checked the codes with the shifter, I have a single digit style shifter, and got "OL-95" which is listed as a sensor failure but no further data as to which sensor or if it's leading up to a major problem. This happens mostly when it's cold but I do remember having it happen once after driving for about an hour and stopping at a rest stop for about twenty mins.

Any clues you can give me about what is really happining I'd appreciate. I did have the transmission serviced about 18 months ago, new filters and fluid change but it didn't seem to change anything one way or the other.

Thanks Dick

Allisonman
I have a 1999 National Tradewinds Cat 3000hp 3126 engine and an Allison MD3000 series six speed tyranny. Occasionally, about four or five times a year when I start the engine the check transmission light does not go out and the transmission will not shift out of neutral. This has been happening on and off for three years no since I bought the coach. I found in the Allison documentation somewhere that if this happens turn off the engine and restart it. When I do that everything works fine, most of the time a couple times I have had to restart twice but I don't remember ever having to do it three times. Last time I checked the codes with the shifter, I have a single digit style shifter, and got "OL-95" which is listed as a sensor failure but no further data as to which sensor or if it's leading up to a major problem. This happens mostly when it's cold but I do remember having it happen once after driving for about an hour and stopping at a rest stop for about twenty mins.

Any clues you can give me about what is really happining I'd appreciate. I did have the transmission serviced about 18 months ago, new filters and fluid change but it didn't seem to change anything one way or the other.

Thanks Dick
              PM sent to you.  let me know if you got it.

AllisonMan
I have a pertinent question on my 2000 series allison transmission in my diesel pusher.
My Cummins engine is rated at 275 HP and approximately 550 ft lb torque but can easily be turned up to 300 HP and around 625 ft lb torque which is only 25 hp but quite a bit more torque. The 2000 series transmission is rated at max torque something like 525 ft lb and that's from memory because it's been a few months since I looked into it.
My question is will this transmission take a little extra torque? If it's like everything else I've been involved with the rating is usually somewhat less than it will accommodate. What are your thoughts on this??

Thanks

the short answer is no it won't hold the extra power.  it will shift fine for awhile after the power upgrade then start to slip in 5th and default into limp home mode.  if you are not going any higher than 625ft lb's then the "TransGo" shift kit can be installed and it will hold.  the trans will have to come out to install the kit because you have to change a valve in the transmission's front support that will raise the trans main pressure when the lockup clutch is on and there is some modification that you have to do to the C2 piston and springs in the rotating clutch hub.  after the shift kit is installed the "adaptive shifts" need to be reset by an Allison dealer or the trans will have VERY hard shifts.  after the "adaptive shifts" are reset it will shift hard a few times and smooth back out.  it will shift more firmly but not harsh after the kit is properly installed.  if you do an internet search for "TransGo" you should be able to find it.  it will say it is for the chevy duramax with the 1000 series but it will work for your 2000 series also.  there are 2 kits '01-'04 and '04-'06.  make sure you get the right year kit. 
Edit: Fixed quote.

A-Man

Got the PM thanks! I'll let you know what I get the next time this happens.

Thanks Dick

if you have codes in the computer they will stay stored, inactively, for 40 start/run/warmup cycles.  then they will clear themselves.  you should be able to check it now and find them in there, you don't have to wait until it does it again.   

allisonman said:
    if you have codes in the computer they will stay stored, inactively, for 40 start/run/warmup cycles.  then they will clear themselves.  you should be able to check it now and find them in there, you don't have to wait until it does it again. 

I know but the coach is in the paint shop for a few more days. I hope to pick it up on Fri or Mon. I thought about it after I sent the last post and figured when I get it back I'll read all that is stored.

Thanks

Wristpin said:
AllisonMan

Thanks
I just wanted to bump this so Allisonman might answer, I'm not sure but I think he may have missed it the first time :)

I just wanted to bump this so Allisonman might answer, I'm not sure but I think he may have missed it the first time :)

the short answer is no it won't hold the extra power.  it will shift fine for awhile after the power upgrade then start to slip in 5th and default into limp home mode.  if you are not going any higher than 625ft lb's then the "TransGo" shift kit can be installed and it will hold.  the trans will have to come out to install the kit because you have to change a valve in the transmission's front support that will raise the trans main pressure when the lockup clutch is on and there is some modification that you have to do to the C2 piston and springs in the rotating clutch hub.  after the shift kit is installed the "adaptive shifts" need to be reset by an Allison dealer or the trans will have VERY hard shifts.  after the "adaptive shifts" are reset it will shift hard a few times and smooth back out.  it will shift more firmly but not harsh after the kit is properly installed.  if you do an internet search for "TransGo" you should be able to find it.  it will say it is for the chevy duramax with the 1000 series but it will work for your 2000 series also.  there are 2 kits '01-'04 and '04-'06.  make sure you get the right year kit. 

I didn't miss you, I must have not inserted your post into quotes correctly and it didn't post right. one of the mods fixed it later for me :D thanks  ;)

Aman

I got to visit my coach today  :p
We thought we were picking it up but there was a task they forgot. We'll get it in the AM

I did get inside and read the codes.
First push was OL-70 as I expected "Oil not warm enough"

Pushed the Arrows again and got to the business end of the thing.
Here is the list, pushing "MODE" to advance:

D12216
D2
D3
D4
D5

I expect the Dn readings are placeholders that haven't had a code written into them. I expected to see six but only got the five perhaps the sixth position was taken up with the Oil Codes on the first push of the arrows. There was a dash in there someplace but I lost track of it and was a bit rushed being in the paint booth, hope it's not important.

Thanks Dick

allisonman said:
Edit: Fixed quote.
Well that's not exactly what I wanted to hear but I had already guessed as much......
Thanks for the advice and of course I'll take it, I really don't want to pull the transmission out so I'll leave it as is for now.
Thanks again

Aman

I got to visit my coach today  :p
We thought we were picking it up but there was a task they forgot. We'll get it in the AM

I did get inside and read the codes.
First push was OL-70 as I expected "Oil not warm enough"

Pushed the Arrows again and got to the business end of the thing.
Here is the list, pushing "MODE" to advance:

D12216
D2
D3
D4
D5

I expect the Dn readings are placeholders that haven't had a code written into them. I expected to see six but only got the five perhaps the sixth position was taken up with the Oil Codes on the first push of the arrows. There was a dash in there someplace but I lost track of it and was a bit rushed being in the paint booth, hope it's not important.

Thanks Dick
  PM sent.  code 22-16 is for your output speed sensor.  let me know if you got my PM

Got the PM and have sent two back. You can pretty much ignore the first one, I've discovered a few things since I sent it.

Steep learning curve for me right now.

Thanks for your patience!

Dick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
David W.
Back