Allison Transmission Tech Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What a tremendous service this is (your advice) to all of us arm chair mechanics(ok, Im speaking for myself actually). Im sure I have plenty of questions but after reading your replies to other questions so far, you have pretty much answered them all. I have a Allison HD-4060 in my '96 Vogue and I will be doing the second Trans-synd fluid change soon but I hope to tackle this change of fluid myself.  When I do this after a tad more research on my part, Ill look to verify my part numbers and part list (filter #'s and Fluid amounts) with you.... I also have some questions about the operating temp's of this particular Trans in my application but I want to get my notes together before blurting out words that wont make any sense.
Thanks again for such a generous offer of assistance!

Holy moly, I can't believe my eyes...just saw your original post...free advice!!!

This will be an easy one for you.
I have an 2003 Chevy 2500 Duramax w/ Allison 1000.
when I pull my 8000lb 30' TT, at times, up hills of course, the temps get up there but never in the red.  This does, however, cause the fan clutch to engage, and man is that sob loud!
I know this is necessary to cool the various life blood fluids in the truck.

Is there a proven ATF aftermarket product that keeps the 1000 cooler under under the more normal driving conditions?
How about the same question for engine coolant?

This will be an easy one for you.
I have an 2003 Chevy 2500 Duramax w/ Allison 1000.
when I pull my 8000lb 30' TT, at times, up hills of course, the temps get up there but never in the red.  This does, however, cause the fan clutch to engage, and man is that sob loud!
I know this is necessary to cool the various life blood fluids in the truck.

Is there a proven ATF aftermarket product that keeps the 1000 cooler under under the more normal driving conditions?
How about the same question for engine coolant?

no need to go aftermarket.  I have seen a few aftermarket aluminum deep pan kits for the 1000 series and am not impressed with them.  the filter extension that they give you is junk.    just go to the Allison dealer and get a factory Allison deep pan.  I believe they are around 70 bucks and then get an Allison deep sump suction filter to go along with it.  the deep sump pan will bolt right up to your1000 series and give you about 1 and a half gallons of additional fluid.  the pan gasket is excellent and it is reusable so you won't need to worry about replacing it unless you twist it up like a pretzel. then use Allison tranynd fluid in it.  as far as coolant I don't know what other type you could change it to.  it can cause problems in some engines to change the type of coolant that the manufacturer recommends. I've heard that some engines will have cavitation issues with the wrong coolant type or gasket failure.

allisonman, thanks for all your advice nice to have someone like you on this great site.  My question to you is do you know anything about the 2011 Dodge trany's?  I'm talking about the 6 speed that's coming in all the new trucks(diesels).  So far it's a great trany like the way it shifts and pulls.  So I'm hearing talk but nothing for sure that this trany is a Allison or a take off of the Allison is there any truth to this?  Do you have any knowledge on this trany?

allisonman, thanks for all your advice nice to have someone like you on this great site.  My question to you is do you know anything about the 2011 Dodge trany's?  I'm talking about the 6 speed that's coming in all the new trucks(diesels).  So far it's a great trany like the way it shifts and pulls.  So I'm hearing talk but nothing for sure that this trany is a Allison or a take off of the Allison is there any truth to this?  Do you have any knowledge on this trany?

I haven't worked on one but I've looked at them.  I don't believe that they are an Allison copy.  G.M. owns the rights to the 1000 series and I don't think they would give up its secrets to Chrysler.  make sure you find out the drain intervals for fluid changes on it.  follow maintenance schedule B since you tow with it.  the old dodge transmissions had a fluid change interval of 25,000 miles.  I changed the fluid in mine at that interval religiously and never had trouble.  I had 150,000 on it without a problem.  I always had people tell me that dodge transmissions are junk but I had good luck with mine with proper maintenance.  the 88' to 03' truck transmissions are basically the old bulletproof 904 and 727 trans with an overdrive pack added to the rear.  the overdrive portion is the part that seen the most trouble.  there are a lot of parts nowadays to make these transmissions hold up much better than before.     

allisonman,  I will look into the service for this trany(truck only has 2000 miles on it at this point), would you recommend changing to this other fluid like the one you are telling  people to use in the allison?  Do you recommend using this fluid for any brand trany?  Thanks again.

SargeW said:
Hi Allisonman,

I have an 10' Winnebago Journey on a Freightliner XCS chassis.  It has the Allison 6 speed 2500 trans. It has about 12,000 miles on it now. I am still trying to get used to the shifts, or lack thereof of the new trans.  I had an 06' Itasca that was coupled with a Allison 3000 MH trans and LOVED it. The retarder, the shift points, the remote fluid checking, all were seamless. 

I have experienced that at times the 2500 does not want to upshift or downshift, even though the RPM's may be sky high.  Yesterday I was coming down a significant grade and had down shifted the trans to 3rd gear to keep the speed down. When the grade flattened off I punched the selector to put the trans back in 6th gear.  The trans hung in 3rd for quite a while, even though the RPM's approached 3000 RPM.  It finally up shifted.

It's not the first time the trans has hung either on an up shift or down shift.  Is this typical of this trans, or is there a problem with the software?  I use the mode button any time I am on the highway to get it to shift into 6th gear a little earlier.

I had the 5000 mile service done on the rig at Freightliner Gaffney and it got a clean bill of health.  Any thoughts?

Thanks, Sarge

Allisonman, I quoted my last question because I have a different thought.  If I am running the trans with the "mode" button on, would that affect my shift points while hill climbing and descending? Before I take it to the shop I want to ensure that it's nothing that I am doing to cause it to run that way.

Thanks again, Sarge

allisonman,  I will look into the service for this trany(truck only has 2000 miles on it at this point), would you recommend changing to this other fluid like the one you are telling  people to use in the allison?  Do you recommend using this fluid for any brand trany?  Thanks again.

I can't recommend that you use transynd fluid in your truck because I am not 100% sure that it is safe for it.  I can tell you though that I have put it in many of my own transmissions with great results.  I have used it in the chevy 4L60E, turbo hydra 350/400, 700R4, truck trans, the AX4N ford front wheel drive trans, ford C6, 4R70, 4R100 rear drive trans. , the 727, 518, 618 dodge rear wheel drive and 604 dodge front wheel drive trans with no shifting problems or failures but, I won't recommend for anyone to put transynd in these transmissions because even though I haven't had a problem doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.  transynd may have the wrong additives in it for the friction material on the clutches and lock up disk and it might cause premature wear on these parts.  I figured that I had nothing to loose if I tried it in my own vehicles because if I had a failure I would just rebuild my own trans and go back to the recommended fluid for it.   

Allisonman, I quoted my last question because I have a different thought.  If I am running the trans with the "mode" button on, would that affect my shift points while hill climbing and descending? Before I take it to the shop I want to ensure that it's nothing that I am doing to cause it to run that way.

Thanks again, Sarge

the mode button lowers the shift points by about 2- 300 rpm to increase fuel economy.  I personally wouldn't use economy mode in city driving, real hilly/ mountainous areas.  Allison doesn't recommend against using economy mode in those driving conditions to my knowledge but the shifts seem like they are way too low and the engine lugs too much for my liking.    the other thing that this may be is if the trans was built after jan. 2010 and it has an 09' cal.  with the trans serial number and TCM CIN number I can verify that for you if you want. 

Sarge,

If that is a FL chassis call them on the 800 number, 1-800-385-4357, and ask.  If it is a FL chassis, go to accessfreightliner.com and register.  Lots of detailed chassis information for your chassis.  It takes a while to be approved so it is not immediately available to us.

Is there an easy place to get the trans serial, or do I need to crawl underneath the rig?

you'll have to crawl under it.  it will be on the main case towards the rear and on the opposite side of the shift selector.  it should start with the number sequence of 651xxxxxx. I'll need the CIN (calibration I.D. number) on the back of the TCM so I can look at the software level.  the TCM is about 6 inches x 6 inches x 2 inches and it is black plastic with aluminum on the face that has a lot of spikes sticking out of it.  most of the time it is secured with 3 10mm nuts.  you have to locate it, unbolt the 3 securing nuts and turn it over to read the CIN number on the sticker.  the CIN number should look like this example  4F 003B 003Z  .    with these 2 things I'll be able to tell you if it has the right cal for the year of trans. 

At the risk of sounding real "dumb", as I was crawling under the MH today, contemplating doing my own service on my tranny(filters and Trans-synd) I first noticed where I believe the two filters go(in the circular bolted on plates) on the Tranny. I also took notice of a great number of mounting screws as I was looking for the drain plug(I believe it must be the "allyn" headed bolt toward the front of the trans). Could you please take me through the full process of changing the fluid and it possible verify my findings thus far? I believe I have discovered the Filter kit # 29540494...I think this is the "Gold" series filter kit...? I have been hearing prices of 34-40.00 a gallon for Trans-synd fluid...is that about right?  Im kinda torn between having my local authorized Allison dealer doing this service and doing it myself, as I have in my younger, thinner days(when crawling under the MH was easier!!). Once again, this is a HD 4060 trans in a 95 Vogue MH.(this will be the 2nd Trans-synd change). Thank you for any help you can provide.

PS......as I was researching Allison info today, I discovered your "helping" hand as far back as 2002/2003 on Forum's preceding this one. Thank you for all you do!
Dwight

hello i have a 1992 allegro bay with the 190hp cummings and allison trans on oshkosh chassis. i just purchased it last year late season so not sure on how long fluid and filter has been in it, but my problem is on cold starts it takes a long time going into reverse but forward will go right in . and after you running about 40 miles it acts like its shifting too fast . any ideas would b appreciated. thanks again.

Allison Man,

I have diesel (Cat 3116) with Stone Bennett toggel shifter.  Stopped in driveway and shifted to N and heard whirring, light grinding noise coming from tranny area.  I then shifted into R and shift was normal and noise gone.  Then shifted to N and noise was again there.  Shifted to D and noise gone.  Noise only in neutral and tranny normal in all other aspects. Don't know if related but leveling jacks do not work now (suspect the jacks know/think tranny not fully in N).  I'm hoping it's just an external adjustment that will put tranny fully into neutral.  Thanks & your thoughts.

Dave W.

First of all, thank you for the awesome advice. You are a blessing to all of us here. My question is this. Can I program my trans to be manually downshifted, mainly when the jake is on? I don't like how if shifts down so quickly. I have a 06 Mountain Aire, 400 Cummings. Thank you again!

>>Can I program my trans to be manually downshifted, mainly when the jake is on? I don't like how if shifts down so quickly.<<

Sure, just take it to an Allison dealer & have them program it to select 5 or 6 gear....Then you can manually downshift from there.

I don't like how if shifts down so quickly

You might have to clarify "shifting down so quickly". If you mean that the timing of when the downshift occurs is as soon as you lift, it will if you are going slow enough for the tranny to downshift. Try putting it into economy mode, that will increase the rpm range before the tranny downshifts. You can also take the coach to a Cummins or Allison dealer and they can modify the downshift. As Terry mentioned, they can change the gears that are called for. They can also expand the rpm range, like the economy mode, before it downshifts.

If you are talking about a rough downshift, that means your transmission needs a little training on that downshift. If it happens a couple of times, the tranny will remember that and smooth it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom