How to access the coach blower motor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Art In Mobile

I just smelled something burning then the 15 amp fuse to the coach blower motor (not the chassis blower motor) stopped. I have hardly ever used it. I tried putting a new fuse & tracing it down by the sound of the motor but fuse blows in about 20 seconds. Being now an old geyser I can't find it by sound in 20 seconds.
  I am sure it is in a nice place with a hatch over its compartment & a light in the compartment & just enough room for my 6 foot 2 inch body to get into & take my 3 pm nap!
  Its a 2006 Ford Voyage 35D. Thanks in advance. Art

I can think of two methods that will not require more blown fuses.

1. Start at a heater vent, and follow the ducting by removing drawers, ect until you find the box it attaches to. That would be the furnace.

2. Walk around the outside of the RV and look for the outer vent for the furnace. There should be either a vent directly out from the furnace, or a vented compartment with the "chimney" just inside.

If the furnace is accessible from the outside, you will only need to bend at an awkward angle to service it. If it is mounted under, say, the refrigerator like my Coachmen, you will need to bend yourself into a pretzel  and make your elbows work backwards to access it. ;D

Joe

Joe
Thanks for the reply, but I think this blower motor is somewhere in the floor up front & not part of the gas heater. My propane heater is in the very rear. This motor blows air across the hot water heat exchanger from the engine somewhere up front. I think you are correct with your pretzel comment as I am sure wherever it is I will be bending in very unusual positions. Thanks Art

OH NO! I found it. I have been a meck.  all my life & I can't see how to get to it without major surgery.
  It is in the center floor area up front just behind the doghouse. Its just in front of the front slide out track & motor. I think my fix for this is to continue with our plans to spend 4 months in South Texas where I won't need the engine heater.

Glad I read this.  The blower motor in our 2003 34' Winney is is starting to make a lot of noise as well.  It sounds like it's coming from under the floor just behind the engine cover.  Now, how to access it...

W.C.  By looking threw the access door where my fresh water pump is I can just see it. By removing some of the things in the way I might be able to get to it. Another way (and I am not going this route, would be to remove the propane water heater) It is in a place where no man should ever go!  Another problem is that my parts brake down for my 2006 Voyage does not show it in the heating & cooling system drawings. Good luck to you & let us know if you can get to yours. Art

I have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. I have the same noise problem with the fan blower sounding like it is hitting something and is to noisy to use. I don't winter camp that much but still do not like having something that is not working. Does any one know how to access.

It seems to be located in the duct work just back of the engine doghouse as mention before. I have looked in basement area and believe I have located the general area but it is tight squeeze to access this area and would hate to cut hole in duct at wrong place and have unnecessary patch.

Has anyone removed carpet area just back of passenger seat and cut hole in floor to access the I assume a motor with squirrel cage blower?

At this time I am not sure it is worth the trouble and I know I don't want to pay to have it done!!!

I am attaching 2 photos. The first one shows the door where I can see part of it. I will have to remove the water filter, some plumbing, strip down to my bathing suit as I had to do when I had to replace the 3 inch BLACK tank rubber coupling in the center under the floor. I thought I was going to have to geese myself up & do it naked on that one. It was even tighter than this place!  Several ladies volunteered at the RV park (Fun N Sun) San Benito Texas to pull me out by the feet if I got stuck naked.
The second photo shows the heat exchanger with the 12 volt wires going in. I hope by removing the case screws I can access the motor.
I am sure If I removed the water heater I could get to it but I am not going that way as I am not claustrophobic & the fire rescue dept is only 1 mile away.  Art

Attachments

• HEATER DOOR.JPG
    HEATER DOOR.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 286
  • HEAT EXCHANGER.JPG
    HEAT EXCHANGER.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 290
John
I had a teck look at it & was going to GLADLY pay him to fix it. The reason I did the repair on the black tank myself is because the teck wanted to completely remove the plumbing from the other side, & he said he would have to bend the metal the valves & 3 inch lines were hung on, I said no I will crawl in the passenger side & fix it before he messed up even more. After getting in I found that had he pulled off all he wanted to from the driver side he still could not have reached it. I have long Orangatang arms so I could do the job. It is not the money but the quality of the work that makes me do it. Art

John, Do you have any source that would give pictures of the easiest spot to access the blower motor/fan that is located behind dog house and furnishes heat from the motor to the motor home living area. My coach is a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. The pictures by Art shows the water heater compartment and my compartment that has the water heater looks to be bigger than his model. But not sure if the duct work with motor fan would be back of my hot water tank or not. It is very possible but I don't want to tackle removing anything unless I am sure that I could get to my problem.

Here is the parts listing for your rig.  Page 194 is a breakdown of the assembly.  I have the installation diagram (too large to upload here, I'll upload it to my web site later today) which should answer your questions.  You will need to remove the water heater for access to the blower.

I'll make another post when the installation diagram is ready to view.

Sorry Ken - not only do I not have this file, I have no idea where I got it - it's been over a year that I dug into this ???

Edit - hey, what a deal!  I found the file and uploaded it so the link a couple of posts up is now valid.  I will leave it up for a couple of days and then kill it.

Hi Ho:  I'm surprised that other have not answered as this is a common problem.  This blower is designed to fail.  Most have the problem within a few years.  Some have said that lubricating the bearings helps, but the majority find that a mechanical fix to the bearing is required.  All of this presupposes that you can get the thing out.

As you have said, the blower is behind the water heater on a number of coaches.  We have a 2000 Suncruiser 35U and that is where it is.  If you know how and are a bit flexible you can get it out without removing the water heater, but I took it out anyway because the electric heater required service.  You can just replace the blower with a new one and wait a couple of years for it to fail.  Or you can put the bearing where it belongs and use metal bearing epoxy to hold it there.  The latter is my idea of a correct fix because it will likely last more than a couple of years.  It does require taking the thing apart.  The other problem is that when (not if) it binds up fuses can blow, dropping resistors can burn out etc. etc.

Anyway, it had been written up in some detail on another forum.  Good luck.

Dirk

Back
Top Bottom