Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: How to access the coach blower motor  (Read 23211 times)

Art In Mobile

• ---
How to access the coach blower motor
« on: November 14, 2009, 10:08:01 AM »
I just smelled something burning then the 15 amp fuse to the coach blower motor (not the chassis blower motor) stopped. I have hardly ever used it. I tried putting a new fuse & tracing it down by the sound of the motor but fuse blows in about 20 seconds. Being now an old geyser I can't find it by sound in 20 seconds.
  I am sure it is in a nice place with a hatch over its compartment & a light in the compartment & just enough room for my 6 foot 2 inch body to get into & take my 3 pm nap!
  Its a 2006 Ford Voyage 35D. Thanks in advance. Art
Art in Mobile 2006 Voyage V-10 Ford

1joester2

• ---
  • Apeo - forever in our hearts. New dog: Duh Kooky
Re: How to access the coach blower motor
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 10:59:42 AM »
I can think of two methods that will not require more blown fuses.

1. Start at a heater vent, and follow the ducting by removing drawers, ect until you find the box it attaches to. That would be the furnace.

2. Walk around the outside of the RV and look for the outer vent for the furnace. There should be either a vent directly out from the furnace, or a vented compartment with the "chimney" just inside.

If the furnace is accessible from the outside, you will only need to bend at an awkward angle to service it. If it is mounted under, say, the refrigerator like my Coachmen, you will need to bend yourself into a pretzel  and make your elbows work backwards to access it. ;D

Joe
Common sense to many of us is, unfortunately, the higher education some strive to attain.

Joe and Carol
2001 Coachmen 220RK W/GM 7.4 Vortec

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 11:07:59 AM »
Joe
 Thanks for the reply, but I think this blower motor is somewhere in the floor up front & not part of the gas heater. My propane heater is in the very rear. This motor blows air across the hot water heat exchanger from the engine somewhere up front. I think you are correct with your pretzel comment as I am sure wherever it is I will be bending in very unusual positions. Thanks Art

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 11:55:03 AM »
OH NO! I found it. I have been a meck.  all my life & I can't see how to get to it without major surgery.
  It is in the center floor area up front just behind the doghouse. Its just in front of the front slide out track & motor. I think my fix for this is to continue with our plans to spend 4 months in South Texas where I won't need the engine heater.

RetiredLE

• ---
  • Jan says: "You don't have to shovel SUN!"
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 10:44:55 PM »
Glad I read this.  The blower motor in our 2003 34' Winney is is starting to make a lot of noise as well.  It sounds like it's coming from under the floor just behind the engine cover.  Now, how to access it...
"We survived for several days on nothing but food and water"

--- W. C. Fields

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2009, 07:20:57 AM »
W.C.   By looking threw the access door where my fresh water pump is I can just see it. By removing some of the things in the way I might be able to get to it. Another way (and I am not going this route, would be to remove the propane water heater) It is in a place where no man should ever go!  Another problem is that my parts brake down for my 2006 Voyage does not show it in the heating & cooling system drawings. Good luck to you & let us know if you can get to yours. Art

jbostic

• ---
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:50:51 PM »
I have a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. I have the same noise problem with the fan blower sounding like it is hitting something and is to noisy to use. I don't winter camp that much but still do not like having something that is not working. Does any one know how to access.

It seems to be located in the duct work just back of the engine doghouse as mention before. I have looked in basement area and believe I have located the general area but it is tight squeeze to access this area and would hate to cut hole in duct at wrong place and have unnecessary patch.

Has anyone removed carpet area just back of passenger seat and cut hole in floor to access the I assume a motor with squirrel cage blower?

At this time I am not sure it is worth the trouble and I know I don't want to pay to have it done!!!
Jimmy Bostic

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 03:55:17 PM »
I am attaching 2 photos. The first one shows the door where I can see part of it. I will have to remove the water filter, some plumbing, strip down to my bathing suit as I had to do when I had to replace the 3 inch BLACK tank rubber coupling in the center under the floor. I thought I was going to have to geese myself up & do it naked on that one. It was even tighter than this place!  Several ladies volunteered at the RV park (Fun N Sun) San Benito Texas to pull me out by the feet if I got stuck naked.
 The second photo shows the heat exchanger with the 12 volt wires going in. I hope by removing the case screws I can access the motor.
 I am sure If I removed the water heater I could get to it but I am not going that way as I am not claustrophobic & the fire rescue dept is only 1 mile away.  Art

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 07:05:44 PM »
Art - keep your sanity and your clothes on - write a check  :D :D
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 07:18:12 PM »
John
I had a teck look at it & was going to GLADLY pay him to fix it. The reason I did the repair on the black tank myself is because the teck wanted to completely remove the plumbing from the other side, & he said he would have to bend the metal the valves & 3 inch lines were hung on, I said no I will crawl in the passenger side & fix it before he messed up even more. After getting in I found that had he pulled off all he wanted to from the driver side he still could not have reached it. I have long Orangatang arms so I could do the job. It is not the money but the quality of the work that makes me do it. Art

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 08:00:16 PM »
It is not the money but the quality of the work that makes me do it. Art

Art - boy I completely understand that concept!  That has driven me to tackle many things I would rather have somebody else do.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

jbostic

• ---
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 02:36:26 PM »
John, Do you have any source that would give pictures of the easiest spot to access the blower motor/fan that is located behind dog house and furnishes heat from the motor to the motor home living area. My coach is a 2001 Winnebago Adventurer 35U. The pictures by Art shows the water heater compartment and my compartment that has the water heater looks to be bigger than his model. But not sure if the duct work with motor fan would be back of my hot water tank or not. It is very possible but I don't want to tackle removing anything unless I am sure that I could get to my problem.
Jimmy Bostic

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »
Jimmy - hang loose, I'll see what I can find out.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 11:00:00 AM »
Here is the parts listing for your rig.  Page 194 is a breakdown of the assembly.  I have the installation diagram (too large to upload here, I'll upload it to my web site later today) which should answer your questions.  You will need to remove the water heater for access to the blower.

I'll make another post when the installation diagram is ready to view.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 07:22:48 PM »
Here is the installation PDF file.  I'll leave this up on my web site for a couple of days.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

KennyofSC

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2011, 07:28:57 PM »
would like to see this file,have same problem.Tks,ken

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2011, 08:25:57 PM »
Hi Ken - welcome.  Let me look into this tomorrow.
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 10:16:58 AM »
Sorry Ken - not only do I not have this file, I have no idea where I got it - it's been over a year that I dug into this ???

Edit - hey, what a deal!  I found the file and uploaded it so the link a couple of posts up is now valid.  I will leave it up for a couple of days and then kill it.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 11:06:52 AM by John Canfield »
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

KennyofSC

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2011, 12:34:58 PM »
Thinks,ken

dirko

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2011, 03:30:51 PM »
Hi Ho:  I'm surprised that other have not answered as this is a common problem.  This blower is designed to fail.  Most have the problem within a few years.  Some have said that lubricating the bearings helps, but the majority find that a mechanical fix to the bearing is required.  All of this presupposes that you can get the thing out.

As you have said, the blower is behind the water heater on a number of coaches.  We have a 2000 Suncruiser 35U and that is where it is.  If you know how and are a bit flexible you can get it out without removing the water heater, but I took it out anyway because the electric heater required service.  You can just replace the blower with a new one and wait a couple of years for it to fail.  Or you can put the bearing where it belongs and use metal bearing epoxy to hold it there.  The latter is my idea of a correct fix because it will likely last more than a couple of years.  It does require taking the thing apart.  The other problem is that when (not if) it binds up fuses can blow, dropping resistors can burn out etc. etc.

Anyway, it had been written up in some detail on another forum.  Good luck.

Dirk
Dirk and Katie and Duke (Golden Retriever)
Coach:  2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH
What else:  Private Pilot (Piper Turbo Arrow), Woodworking, Scuba
Past life:  Electronic engineer (wireless R&D)

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2011, 09:07:17 PM »
Dirk
 You are FAR to optimistic. Two years & it will fail? I got about 20 minutes of running on mine when  smelled what must be the dropping resistors burning then the 15 amp fuse went.
 I can see part of it by looking into the compartment. If I move enough plumbing I might get it out without moving the water heater.  Is that how you did it?  How difficult was removing the water heater. Thanks for your input. Art

dirko

• ---
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2011, 07:00:29 PM »
Hi Ho Art:  Sorry this has taken so long to reply.  Getting the water heater out is straight-forward but does require removing all the caulk around the thing and taking off and plugging a few hoses.  (Be sure to turn off the propane before removing that connection).  It took me a couple of hours and some more time to clean up and repair the broken stuff.  In all it took most of a day to get the things apart and back together.

I would definitely not take the water off next time.  (Assuming that I haven't gained too much weight).  I ran into a tech who has replaced the blower and he said that they don't remove the water heater.  Now that I have seen exactely how it comes apart I'm sure that it would be no big deal.

One thing that might convince me to take the water heater off is that the electrical connectors on the water heater use Amp fast-ons and WI used the wrong part on one side of the connection in our coach.  You might say "no big deal" but the problem is that the elecrical connection for the electric heater goes thru this fitting and on mine it became a higher and higher resistance until it got really hot and destroyed itself.  It easily could have started a fire if I hadn't caught it in time.  I can't believe that WI would allow such a dumb thing to cause them to have a liability.   Anyway, I don't know how many coaches, what models, or what years are involved, but if you understand the quick disconnct system you will immediately see the problem

Good luck with the blower motor.  I have to take mine apart again because I was unwilling to take the motor completely apart for a permanent fix.  If I think about it I will take some pictures and post them.

Dirk
Dirk and Katie and Duke (Golden Retriever)
Coach:  2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40QDH
What else:  Private Pilot (Piper Turbo Arrow), Woodworking, Scuba
Past life:  Electronic engineer (wireless R&D)

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2011, 09:02:59 PM »
Dirk
Thanks VERY MUCH for the post reply. I am in South Texas But will be home in 3 weeks & will pull the water heater & thanks for the electrical problem connection heads up. I will also post photos when I do it. Art

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2011, 04:49:59 PM »
I have started to remove the floor heat exchanger that is hidden behind the water heater. First problem I found & should have done something sooner was the pressure relief valve for the hot  water heater was dripping as they do from time to time & all that hard south Texas water rusted things very badly. The door hinges are almost gone. (first photo) Burner tube almost rusted threw. The upper parts are fine as no water drips on that area. You would think a drain line would already be engineered in. This is why I do my own repairs. I will run a drain line down below when I install the new water heater. In the second photo you can see the heat exchanger that heats the floor ducts with hot water from the engine. It appears to be mounted to the top of the compartment. It has the blower motor in it with the bad bearing. I am going to love getting it out. The third photo is a closer shot. This is where I am now. I hope that Dirk chimes in here again as he has some good hand knowledge about how it is mounted to the overhead & EXACTLY what bearing is the problem. Keep tuned to this channel as I am sure between Dirk & myself we will have a very good fix for this problem. I sent Dirk a PM. Perhaps another squirrel cage blower from some type of auto. Will provide photos of the fix. Give Dirk & I a few days. Art

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2011, 07:12:13 PM »
Close up shot of rear mounting bolts. They are hooked to the overhead in the compartment. I hope the front is secured just by a flange slipped into a grove so I can just pull it to the rear to take it out. I can't see any front bolts.  It looks like no problem to undue but this photo was taken with my hand way into the compartment! I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Art

hdmox

• ---
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:23 AM »
Art,

I'm needing to get after my coach heater blower, too.  What are the next steps?  Any more pictures?  The ones you have already posted are very helpful, but I would like to see the continuation and conclusion to your story before I really get my hands dirty.  Any chance you have documentation/pictures on your computer that you could send me?

Dean
(dmoxness@ptd.net)
Dean & Diane - Full time since April 2012!
2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, Workhorse W22, Blue Ox, 2014 Ford Focus Hatchback.

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2011, 07:37:53 PM »
Welcome aboard Dean!
--John
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

Art In Mobile

• ---
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2011, 08:32:09 PM »
Dean
 After I removed the water heater I took the photos you see in my post. I used to be very nimble so I thought my long orangatan arms could reach in & get it out. I am 6 feet two and am used to working in places like that. After several attemps I CRIED UNCLE and it is still in there. I could reach the rear bolts you see in the photo but never found how the front was fastened. The engine coolent lines are above the tansmission & even with the doghouse out almost impossible to get to. Looked like some glue & foam also up front. Mine still works but I had to run it on its own fuse. I did NOT increase the fuse size. The house battery charge sel. operates on the same fuse and with the bad bearing & the seloniod being on the same curcit was just to much. They never planed on anyone working on that blower motor at the Winnebago plant! Sorry I can't be more help. As I spend winters in San Benito Texas I can live without it but don't like having something on the coach not in proper order. If you have better luck please let us know and good luck to you. Art

hdmox

• ---
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2011, 10:52:07 AM »
Art,
I did check for messages or emails, but sorry I didnít get back to this thread sooner.  I donít blame you for ďuncle-ing.Ē  Body size does count in this scenario; Iím 6í4Ē and 220 lb.  After gathering as much info and pictures as I could from various sources, I am two sunny days into my repair project and still have a long way to go; itís raining today!

First, a word to the wise for some Winnie/Itasca owners about the power supply for the coach heater (or rear heater, part of the motor aid system).  I know this is different in different coaches, but in my 2004 Itasca Suncruiser 38R, the power for the coach heater blower fan comes through the ďSTEP ALARMĒ fuse #24 (15 amp) in the upper right corner of fuse block at the left side under the dash in front of the driverís seat.  The electric entry door steps are NOT powered through this puny fuse, but the auto-retract feature of the steps IS powered through this fuse.  This means that if your frozen up or dragging coach heat blower motor has blown this fuse, when you start your engine, the entry steps will NOT auto-retract if you have forgotten to retract them with the switch by the door.  Thatís how I bent my steps into a pretzel--$600!

Back to the heater.  I pulled half the muscles in my body wriggling around on some blocks and a platform to get at it way behind the Atwood 10 gal water heater.  I managed to get six screws out of the galvanized plate on the left (coach rear) side of the housing, then two more out of the 90 degree one inch bend that that wrapped around the curbside (heater core finned) end.  I expected the whole plate to come off, but it is fastened or clamped at the left (streetside) end, which is inaccessible.  So I pulled the right end out and propped it open with a 7Ē stick.  This allowed me to see the motor end of the blower assembly.  I also removed a couple of screws that hold the whole assembly to the floor, but there is one screw way to the coach front curbside that I can barely touch, but canít possible unscrew.  The whole unit does move around slightly on its platform, now.  With the access propped open, I have showered the motor with PB Blaster, but no luck in powering up the fan (yet?).  I am unable to reach the squirrel cage blower to manually try to move it.
Dean

hdmox

• ---
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2011, 11:16:12 AM »
More . . .
So I finally bit the bullet and I am in the painful process of water heater removal.  I started by cutting AC power to the WH at the c/b panel. (Does anybody know how to open the flush 12V pushbutton c/bs in these rigs?)  I also shut off the main propane supply valve.  I removed the caulking from one of the door hinges to remove the hinge link and remove the door.  I took out the 20 screws around the WHís front flange and went on to try to remove as much of the caulking as I can beside and behind the flange.  I am using a wood chisel and a sturdy paring knife to remove the black gook.  Next I drained the thing and thought I better go ahead and flush out the calcium buildup, using my copper tube wand on the end of a water hose.  And then the rain started, so I am still in the midst of the flush out and holding for better weather.

I also loosened the flare connection from the propane copper tube to the burner.  I suppose I will remove the pile of black gook around where the copper comes out of the bottom left.  Iím not sure what will happen with the copper propane line when I get to the point of pulling the WH away from the coach.  If anybody can tell me what to expect here, thanks.
Stay tuned . . . .

Hosted by Over The Network