Weight Dist. Hitch ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FX

When I bought my current trailer about 4 months ago, the dealer installed a weight dist. hitch before I drove off the lot.  They assured me they were going to use the appropriate size hitch for the trailer.  The installed a, I think the brand is: Robin?  Or something like that.  Anyway, it rated for 800 lbs.  My dry hitch weight is 600 lbs and I am assuming that is NOT counting the 2 full propane bottles and 2 batteries, plus stuff inside the trailer.  I have not gone to the scales but I am assuming I am approaching 800 lbs on my hitch weight.  Is there any danger to this?

The "rating" you are probably referring to is the spring bar tension, not the max weight the hitch can carry.  800 lb spring bars can transfer 800 lbs of weight forward on the tow vehicles chassis and essentially relives the rear suspension of having to carry that weight.  If your tow vehicle sits level with the trailer hitched up, you have the right size spring bars on the hitch.

Your hitch's carrying capacity is determined by its Class designation, e.g. Class III or Class IV.  Do you know what Class it is?

Gary- Thanks, and I don't know what class it is.  It sits perfectly level though so I won't worry too much.

How do you determine which chain link to engage on the equalizer bars?  Is having the rig set level the only criteria?  If you load the bed of the towing vehicle, would you use more or less links compared to an empty tow vehicle bed?
Jake

Jake

Check out the correct procedure for adjusting a weight distributing hitch in our library. Click the Library button above, select Towing and towables and click Using & adjusting a weight distributing hitch.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Tom, 
I printed off a copy and will use the procedure next time I hook up.
Jake

You're welcome Jake. Just remember to blame Carl if it doesn't work  ;D

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom