Planning for the inevitable end of traveling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack Nichols

I posted this on another forum, and hope to gain some new information here.

Planning for the inevitable end of traveling
This question has crossed my mind several times, but I put off looking into it until I got the FLU (capitals intended) last week.

As a single person with many friends, but no family, some day I will not be able to get this rig down the road. Economics may dictate otherwise, but my current plan is to park somewhere I can get the care necessary for end of life support. I thought I had time to deal with this, as I am lucky enough to healthy as a horse and everything works well enough for me to do whatever I want. The flu was a wake up call that things can go downhill in a hurry. I need to have a plan in place - there is no doubt this situation will come up, for all of us. The current mess in the government does not give much comfort.

Many of you have been forward thinking enough to have some ideas, and I would appreciate hearing from you. Looking back, I am embarrassed to have waited so long - I thought I was smarter than that.

I am a member of Escapees (and a few others), and they have the CARE program. I will investigate that.

Any other thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Howdy, Jack.
We are Escapees, also. We plan to go to Cares when the time comes that we can't travel anymore. We like the idea of continuing to live in our Wanderlodge motorhome.

Regards,
Jack and Liz Pearce and Oreo the cat

My FIL will be 93 early next year.  Although in good health, he wasn't able to be by himself anymore.  We came off the road to sell his mobile home (in a 55+ community in Texas) and we investigated options for his living situation.  We found a "continuing care" facility in the same town.  It offers three levels of care; independent living, assisted living and a nursing or medical facility.There is a "buy in" which is tied to the type of place you want...studio apt, one or two bedroom apt, townhouse, cottage or even a penthouse. We chose a one bedroom apt for him.  All utilites plus cable are included.  The only cost to him is the phone if he chooses to get one, and his monthly "assessment".  The apartment was totally renovated, all new electric, all new appliances and the bathroom totally remodeled.  He was able to buy in for less than $45,000.00, and his monthly assesment is $1400.00 which is covered by his social security and his retirement pension.  This monthly assessment will never change...even if he needs assisted liviing or nursing care.  He receives the main meal, dinner (which is at noon) and his apt is cleaned weekly and his sheets are laundered.  There are several trips weekly to the markets, WalMart and various shopping venues.  Doctor appointment travel is arranged. The facililty has a monthly cocktail party and there are a number of daily/weekly/monthly activies.  There is a beautiful heated pool and jacuzzi, a woodworking shop, a computer lab, a little store for little necessities, pool tables, and the list goes on and on.  The food is wonderful(we have joined him for several meals).  He can have additional meals like breakfest and supper for about $4.  So far, he loves it.  Of course the number of eligible ladies vs. gentlemen is like 5 to 1 and at 93 he still thinks he is Cassonova.

We will also consider this type of arrangement when it is time for us to hang up the keys.  I just wanted to let folks know that these types of communities do exist, and they do not require that all of one's assets be signed over to the facility.  Just an fyi...

Dennise

Thank you Dennise, I will look into that around the Fort Worth/Dallas area when I get there in December. 
If you would please PM me the name of that facility?
The 5 to one ratio is a real draw too!  :D

We have a friend who is selling his RV and his motorcycle. Not sure about his boat yet. Many folks have a mid-life crisis, but this guys says he's having an end-of- life crisis  :eek:

Jack Nichols said:
Thank you Dennise, I will look into that around the Fort Worth/Dallas area when I get there in December. 

This type of facility is becoming more popular.  We have 4 in Bozeman includng a Legion one and another about 20 miles up the road.  Pick a location of over about 10,000 population and I suspect you will find at least one.

Back
Top Bottom