Triton V-10 Gas Mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

johntk

I just bought a 2007 Sightseer 29R with the V-10.  On my first trip of 600 miles I got about 7.2 mpg.  I had been told that the V-10 should get about 9 mpg.
I'd like to know if this is normal, or if I should be looking for a problem. 

Thanks,
John

johntk said:
I just bought a 2007 Sightseer 29R with the V-10.  On my first trip of 600 miles I got about 7.2 mpg.  I had been told that the V-10 should get about 9 mpg.
I'd like to know if this is normal, or if I should be looking for a problem. 
Thanks,
John

Welcome to the forum!

How fast were you going on the average?

But I doubt if anything is wrong. I have heard other reports that the high revving V-10 gets poor MPG.

There are many V-10 owner's in this forum, I am sure many of them can tell you what to expect at various speeds for the size of your rig.

-Don- SF, CA​

That's about what my Ford Excursion gets pulling a 31' TT.  It gets 14 when I'm not pulling.

We recently rented a 2007 Winnebago Vista 30R and averaged 7.57 mpg for 4250 miles.  We drove about 65 max on the freeways and mostly 55 on the 2 lane roads.

The best tank was 8.8 mpg when we were driving in Utah on state back roads at 45 to 50 mpg.  Worst tank was 6.7 mpg going thru Oklahoma and Arkansas on freeways.  So your mileage is about what we got on the Ford V10 with a similar coach.

When I stay in the southeast on interstates and 60 to 65, I can get as much as 7.5 but usually closer to  6.5 normal driving. On some tankfulls out in Wyoming I only got 4MPG in the mountains. It depends an awful lot on road conditions and driving styles. Sounds like you are in the ballpark.

Between 7 & 8 is typical for that size rig and any gas engine. You would get about the same with the GM 8.1L V8.  You can probably coax it to 8.0-8.5 if you drive with a really light foot,  more gently that you would with a car. Don't try to accelerate with the pack and keep the top speed as steady as possible and in the 55-62 range and you will do better.

I have a 2005, tow a CRV, and drive 62 mph. My average over the last five years has been 6.8 mpg. Those figures do include generator run time also.

I had a V10 for 4.5 years 26 foot class c towing a 4200 lb car and always got around 8 mpg

DonTom said:
But with that same MPG, comes much better performance than you will get from a Ford V-10!

-Don- SSF, CA​

You like the performance of the 8.1L Chevy over the V-10? How about the knocking and oil consumption issues? I know pre 2003 had those issues, not sure if its all sorted out. I know it takes Ford for ever to fix anything, not sure about GM

I have a 2007 Winnebago Aspect 24ft, when  we went to Texas last year from AZ on the Interstate 40  I checked it and we got almost 12mpg which
I thought was pretty good and it has plenty of power.  I know they use that same V10 in the bigger Winnebago's  I don't think they would get that good milage
with the additional weight, we weren't towing anything just set the speed control to 65 and sailed along.  :)

fishon71 said:
You like the performance of the 8.1L Chevy over the V-10? How about the knocking and oil consumption issues? I know pre 2003 had those issues, not sure if its all sorted out. I know it takes Ford for ever to fix anything, not sure about GM

That's the first I have heard of either problem with the 8.1L.

-Don- SF, CA​

You like the performance of the 8.1L Chevy over the V-10? How about the knocking and oil consumption issues? I know pre 2003 had those issues, not sure if its all sorted out.

I put 52k miles on an early 2002 8.1L in a Class A motorhome and had none of those problems. Excellent engine and a strong performer.

I tried to post this last night, but for whatever reason it didn't go through.

What fishon71 is referring to is the "piston slap" knocking sound that made news a few years ago.  As best I can tell, only a relative handful of engines in pickups and Suburbans had the problem, and I believe it was traced to a problem with a batch of poorly-made piston rings from one of GM's suppliers, but I'll have to check into that.

A little more background:  To the best of my knowledge, GM built two different variations of the 8.1L engine; a light-duty one for the pickups and Suburbans, and a heavier-duty one for the medium/heavy-duty chassis.  One of my Chevrolet mechanic buddies told me that the heavy-duty version used different pistons, piston rings, valves and other assorted parts, although right off the bat, he couldn't give me a complete list.

I did some checking, and indeed there were at least two different RPO codes for 8.1 engines in any given year (there may have been more in some years, but my information was limited).  This would lend some credence to what he told me, as GM doesn't simply create a different RPO for identical engines, there have to be some differences in order to necessitate that.

Long story short:  Like you, Don and Gary, I've never, ever heard of a problem of any kind with the 8.1 in a motorhome.

I'll ignore the ford vs. chevy thing since it has been beaten to death many times over here.

As for V10 mileage, we have a 2008 chassis year V10 in a 35ft Winnebago.  We took a 5200 mile cross country trip this year and averaged 60-66 mpg depending on traffic and terrain and averaged around 7.2 plus or minus a bit with no toad.  This is based on scan gauge readings, but my actuals are a bit off due to generator usage.

My worst tank was 5.2 gunning it through the Appalachian mountains trying to keep up with cars up hills the first week I owned it (I didn't know better).  The best was around 9.5 crossing the flats of ohio at 55mph with a tail wind.  The rest has been around 7 give or take a bit.

Two years ago we went from PA to CA stopping at Yellowstone, Pacific Ocean, Grand Canyon, then to Albuquerque to see the balloon festival and then on the way home we stopped at Branson.  Altogether we traveled about 7000 miles and averaged about 10.5 mpg which I thought was fantastic.

I forgot to state that we have a Gulfstream BT Cruiser about 30 feet long.  We are going to Florida end of Dec. until end of Feb.  Can't wait!!

johntk said:
I'd like to know if this is normal, or if I should be looking for a problem.  Thanks,John

John - I had an 05 29R with the V-10 for four years and averaged 7.5 mph pulling small toad. Now have 37' Newmar with the V-10 and it appears I'm getting around 7 mph. As others have stated, 7-8 mph is pretty normal for this engine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom