Triton V-10 Gas Mileage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Has anyone tried this stuff?
http://gosyntek.com/

I planed on giving it a try on my way to Florida from NY but dont like being the guinea pig!!

rving said:
Has anyone tried this stuff?
http://gosyntek.com/

I planed on giving it a try on my way to Florida from NY but dont like being the guinea pig!!

This looks like a multi-level marketing deal to me......

RV Roamer said:
Save your money and use it to buy fuel.

Using common sense if it worked everyone would be using it and it would be flying off the shelf.
Ill save my $$:)

When we bought our 2006 Fleetwood Storm, Ford V-10 Triton we were told that if you stayed between 61 an 63 miles per hour you would get your best gas mileage. So far it varies between 7 and 10 and I'm very happy, it could be worse. We also pull a toad.

Gary

We have the V-10 in a 2002 Itasca and seem to get 7+ MPG towing.  We generally run 63MPH and 68 MPH. 

I never have figured out the best way to climb steep hills.  On school says the V-10 has small pistons and is made to run high RPMs - maintain speed up the hills and let the RPMs fly.  Another school (the one I subscribe to) is; downshift till you find a gear that will pull the hill at around 3000 - 3200 RPM and don't stress the engine.  This puts you in the truck lane with the other slow pokes, but I feel more comfortable there.   

When I go up hill with the tow light on the engine downshifts and screams like no tomorrow, sounds like it's going to blow. Not sure how I should drive it.

Gary

For best performance, you want to be in/near the sweet spot, where both torque and horsepower are near maximum. In the 3-valve version of the engine (most since 2003), it makes 362 hp at 4750 rpms and peak torque of 457 lb-ft at 3250 rpms.  That means somewhere in the 4000 -4750 range will get you up the hill the fastest. It will probably sound like it is going to fly apart, but that's no where near the red line for rpms.

if you are not concerned about getting there fast then keeping the RPM's low & crawling up the big hills towards the top will get you a LOT better mpg then trying to maintain a certain speed by revving the engine.  I always try to carry speed going down a hill to help me up the next one which on my last trip made me realize my RV does not allow me to go over 83mph.  At the top of some of the long steep climbs I might only be going 25mph but I do not care.  If I was in a hurry I wouldn't be driving my RV but taking my saab or buell up the hills :)

2KViggen said:
  I always try to carry speed going down a hill to help me up the next one which on my last trip made me realize my RV does not allow me to go over 83mph. 

The tires on your rig (assuming they are RV spec tires) are almost certain to be rated for 75mph or less.  Exceeding that is not recommended and could result in a very bad day. 

yea..... definantly not something I want to set any land speed records in.... I was just traveling down a steep hill & wanted a good head start going up the next one.  Felt the thing slow down & make some beeping noises & the computer stated hit speed limiter or something like that. 

I would hope that if a vehicle can travel at 82-3 mph max the tires would be rated for at least that speed.  With cars manufacturers do not throw tires on their vehicles which are rated below what the max speed of the car is. 

Nearly all 19.5" and 22.5" tires for RVs  are rated for 75 mph. That's a sustained speed, so you don't need to worry about briefly hitting 80 when passing or going downhill.

Passenger cars rarely have tires rated for anywhere near their maximum speed.  Typically only high performance models will have speed-rated tires on them.  There is a standard classification for tire speed ratings which starts with the letter L (75 mph) and goes up to Y (186 mph). If your tire doesn't have a speed rating stamped into the sidewall, it is probably 75 mph.

RV Roamer said:
Nearly all 19.5" and 22.5" tires for RVs  are rated for 75 mph. That's a sustained speed, so you don't need to worry about briefly hitting 80 when passing or going downhill.

Then why was I chewed out by so many forum members here  for going 75 MPH where the speed limit was 75 MPH?

-Don- SSF, CA​

Then why was I chewed out by so many forum members here  for going 75 MPH where the speed limit was 75 MPH?

As I recall the thread, you were driving at a sustained 75 mph rather than the brief high speed I alluded to above. And those who castigated you were questioning your judgment in driving a large vehicle that fast, not the capability of your tires. 

I've been known to drive 70-75 myself when highway conditions are suitable and the additional fuel cost is worth the time to be saved. Others will argue that conditions are never suitable for a 15-20 ton vehicle to be moving that fast. Neither side is likely to convince the other to change their mind, so any debate is academic in nature.

RV Roamer said:
And those who castigated you were questioning your judgment in driving a large vehicle that fast, not the capability of your tires.

Tires were mentioned there too. Now that I took another look at that thread, I see the max speed rating of tires drops as temperature is increased. It was quite warm (If not ridiculously hot <107F, IIRC>, as in Dodge City) during that entire trip.

-Don- SSF, CA​

IFrom the european cars I have owned I have had tires which exceed the car's max speed.  Take my viggen as a example which can do +160 mph, the tires that were on the car were rated above those speeds sustained.... the cars that I own (non-american) are all built for the autobahn so it is likely the car could of seen those speeds thus the appropriate tire.  V or Z rating

The american cars I own are completely lacking in the performance area & are governed to such a speed that a S or H speed rating is all that is needed thus that is the tire on the vehicle.

Want good milage out of your V10?  55MPH will get you the best milage; if the roads have no hills. :)

I've been running the cruise at 61 mph and would get just under 8 mpg. Yesterday we were driving through some heavy rain so I slowed down to 57-59 mph and it went up to 8 1/2. I guess 55 seems to be the sweet spot for this setup.

We have a 2008 coachman freelander 31 ft.  v10 put a k&ncold air intake on it , we get between 8 and 10 mpg,  i think  it made a difference so i guess its worth it , we drive 60 mph to 65mph most of the time unit has 12thousand miles on it so i dont think it is broke in yet,

You guys are making me feel good about my 11.2 MPG (9 to 9.5 towing my Titanium 25' 5er) but what I don't understand is:  I put on a K&N air system = better mileage + 1, then a Gibson exhaust = better mileage +1.5 but sounds like a pregnant bumble bee on steroids, then a Banks performance chip = mileage tanked - 4.  Why??  Ok, the truck does pull better, and I know HP costs gas (energy) but really.  Now I can actually use cruise control pulling in all but the mountains, but - 4 mpg?

Any ideas?

johncmr

Back
Top Bottom