Electrical problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeCoke

After having out toad rear ended and totaled while being towed on I-5 none of the rear lights work on the motorhome, turn signals, brake light emergency flashers Night running lights, also the cruise control does not work & the fan in the front room also does not work.
Is there one fuse that would control all of the above items?
2004 Winnebago Sightseer.
Mike

All those items are 12 volts so thats a start, most of those items also are controlled thru the turn signal assy, I would be looking in the front fuse block area. Mine is buried in the dash.>>>Dan

Mike,

I'm not sure how Winnebago does it but my Dream has several large fuses that feed solenoids that feed the fuse panel. Many of those items probably have their own fuse. If they are all in the same row of the fuse panel it may be another fuse or solenoid that is feeding it.

MikeCoke said:
After having out toad rear ended and totaled while being towed on I-5

Wow - I'll bet there's a story with that!!  Sounds like you have a (some) blown fuse(s).  My Freightliner chassis has the tow electrical connection fuse block at the rear on the driver's side.  Stand by - maybe somebody has detailed knowledge.  If not, give Winnie owner relations a call.

The cruise control monitors the voltage on the brake lights to let it disengage when you step on the brake and a blown brake light fuse will render it inoperative.  Tail lights and marker lights are on the same circuit so a blown fuse will take out both sets of lights.  The cockpit fan is also on the chassis battery and chances are good they just tapped into the lighting circuit for it.

Look for an automotive style fuseblock at the front of the motorhome.  On my 1996 Damon with the Ford chassis it's under the dash, near the steering column and is uncovered (you can see the fuses).  Or it could be on the front of the firewall.  If it's outside it will have a plastic cover protecting the fuses and connections.

Also check the motorhome's toad electrical connector and the wiring around it for mangled pins, pinched wires, etc if there's any possibility it was damaged in the crash.

You didn't mention which model of Sightseer you have, but HERE is the link to the Winnebago electrical drawings to check out. It may or may not be there since this is the coach wiring, not the chassis.

I checked all the fuses under the dash & all were OK.
I then checked under the front Hood & found another fuse Block with lots of fuses & the one labeled Emergency/Bake 20 A was blown, put in a good fuse & still no lights.
Next I got under the rear of the coach & followed the wiring harness & there I found 2 plugs had been pulled apart.one had 5 wires & then there was a single wire one.put the plug back together & all light work.
My guess is the Cruise control will also now work since it is tied into the break system. I will only know when we leave here.

Only thing still not working is the Fantastic fan in the front.  Anyone know where it gets its power from?
Tomorrow I will take the fan down to make sure it is or is not getting power.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Glad you found your lighting problem. The Fantastic Fan probably gets its power from a genral lighting circuit.  Check to see if any 12V lights are out. If not it might be a switch problem. Remember, Fantastic will replace any parts free!! Wall switches excluded.

Lou Schneider said:
Look for an automotive style fuseblock at the front of the motorhome.  On my 1996 Damon with the Ford chassis it's under the dash, near the steering column and is uncovered (you can see the fuses).  Or it could be on the front of the firewall.  If it's outside it will have a plastic cover protecting the fuses and connections.

On my 2005 Damon built upon a Workhorse... It's under the dash, Under the parking brake pedal.. and uncovered

The fuse position labels were in the owner's manual bag by the way.. peal and stick paper.. I stuck 'em nearby the block.

in addition there are two fuse boxes under my hood that have to do with vehicle fuses... One is the BCC and the other... Was a surprise as I don't recall being told about it.. Found it on a routine tour of the rig  Spotted a box with a blank cover that was clearly intended to be opened and said to myself "What's this".. then later "Oh. FUSES" great big oversize blade type fuses You can get replacements at truck stops.

Mike,  did you check the fuse for the fantastic fan.  It's located right near the switch area in the fan area itself.  It's possible it blew when the other lines were disconnected.  It's a very easy fuse to replace.

Marsha~

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom